According to TVGuide.com, FX has ordered 13 episodes of the semi-improvisational comedy, which follows the members of a Chicago fantasy football league. Season 2 got off to a record-breaking start, and ratings overall were up four percent, with the show averaging 1.4 million viewers per episode.
Speaking about the renewal, exec producers Jackie ('Disturbia') and Jeff ('Curb Your Enthusiasm') Schaffer said, "We're thrilled to be doing a third season with our amazing cast and the most audacious network around."
On the latest episode, the gang travels to Las Vegas to do some partying. But whether they're in a strip club or a regular club, or just lounging around the pool, the guys' fascination with choosing the right NFL players remains the same.
Case in point: The guys do in fact go to a strip club, but there they learn that a stripper named "Ambrosia" is a fantasy football expert. How does she know so much? "[NFL] players come in here," she says. "They tell me everything they know." Oh. That makes sense. It seems like it would be pretty hard to resist sweet Ambrosia.
After a fun first season -- that was, admittedly, done in a little bit of a rush -- Season 2 of the FX show (premieres Thurs., Sept. 16, 10:30PM ET) kicks things up a notch with more d*** jokes, more hookups and bigger guest stars, including Lake Bell and Chad "Child Please" Ochocinco.
I caught up with stars Paul Scheer, Katie Aselton, Stephen Rannazzisi, Mark Duplass, Nick Kroll and Jon Lajoie, as well as the hilarious Schaffers, to hear all about what's in store this season, and the result is this fine bleep-filled video.
(S01E06) "What I tell you? Hot girl. Volkswagen Jetta. It's a law! Like water. Or dinosaurs." - Taco
I really want to like The League. It's full of things I love in a TV show -- male camaraderie, football, and endless dick jokes -- yet I still can't get into it. But, the like the good little TV blogger that I am, I re-screened the first five episodes before viewing the season finale earlier today to make sure I gave it a fair shake.
The League is far from the worst thing on TV, and it's definitely the the best comedy FX has rolled out since It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. However, I'm gonna stick with what I've said already -- there's some serious potential here, but a lot of things need to change before The League returns for its second season next summer.
Looks like FX has finally found a friend for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia -- the network announced yesterday that it was renewing The League for a thirteen episode second season.
While this doesn't come a surprise, I'm still not 100% sold. In my initial review of The League, I wasn't high on it for numerous reasons. There was far too much reliance on one-off jokes only intended to create buzz (vaginal hubris, anyone?) and Jon Lajoie seemed like he had no purpose other than singing YouTube-friendly potty-mouthed songs. Factor in the utter lack of meaningful football references and the show was all over the place.
FX announced Wednesday that it has ordered 13 new episodes of the fantasy-football-themed comedy, more than doubling its six-episode bounty for season 1, which wraps up Thursday night.
Fantasy football is a tricky thing. You either love it or you hate it and that largely depends on whether you're good or bad at it. For the most part, the same can be said about FX's newest comedy The League. When it's good, it is good, but when it's bad... well, you get the picture.
The show, which premieres tomorrow night, Thursday 10/29, at 10:30 p.m. after It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, is FX's first solid attempt to produce a lasting companion piece to Sunny and, given some of its predecessors (like Starved or Testees), it'd be easy to write The League off. But, like a two-minute drill that gradually picks up steam, The League might actually go... all... the... way.
OK -- no more football metaphors.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Week 10 Photo Booth Gallery
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 22 Episode 5 Photos: No Filter
- 'Big Brother 17': Why Is No One Targeting Austin and the Twins?
- 'RHOBH' Star Kim Richards Avoids Jail Time for Beverly Hills Hotel Assault Case
- More From BuddyTV
- Grey's, Scandal and HTGAWM Casts Wine and Shine in New TGIT Promo
- Penny Dreadful Season 3: Patti LuPone Returns (But There's a Huge Twist)
- Scandal's Huck and Quinn Torture The Muppets' Gonzo — And He Likes It
- The Voice's Season 9 Coaches Want Bette Midler to Do What?!
- Donald Trump to Make NBC Return on The Tonight Show in September
- More From TVLine
- J.K. Rowling Wishes Harry Potter's Son, James Sirius, Good Luck on His First Day at Hogwarts
- Lena Dunham Calls Out Justin Bieber's 'What Do You Mean?' Lyrics
- Donald Trump to Sit Down With Jimmy Fallon on Sept. 11 Episode of 'The Tonight Show'
- Julianne Hough and Her Fiance Couldn't Look Happier at Their First Red Carpet Since Getting Engaged
- Mila Kunis Compares Ashton Kutcher to 'Bachelor in Paradise' Star Jared Haibon
- More From ET