According to The Hollywood Reporter, MTV has confirmed that the reality show starring the Electric Barbarellas, described as a "raunchy" girl band by the trade paper, is still in development, despite a very public embarrassment last week when Redstone left a voicemail for Daily Beast reporter Peter Lauria, demanding that the journalist divulge the source of a story Lauria wrote about Redstone forcing the Viacom-owned MTV to develop the show, a pet project of Redstone's.
Executive Chairman Sumner Redstone had nothing but good things to say about Moonves in the Wall Street Journal story about the new contract. He said, "This agreement not only secures the future of the company for many years to come, it also further aligns and strengthens the interests of the chief executive with those of our shareholders."
Media mogul Sumner Redstone is selling nearly $1 billion shares of CBS and Viacom to pay off a big portion of his debt to preserve his media empire. He owes nearly $1.46 billion and has to pay at least $500,000 of it by the end of October. Maybe he's got some used DVDs he can sell at his local Gamestop.
Of course, he'll still maintaining "controlling interest" in both companies but it won't feel the same. Now, no one will have enough power to make media bigheads like Stephen Colbert (literally) dance.
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
CBS Executive Chairman, Sumner Redstone, was asked on Wednesday for his thoughts on the four MMA events scheduled to air on the network as a result of their partnership with Elite Xtreme Combat. Now, if Sumner just said he's not a fan, or he didn't think it was right for the network, I could probably just agree to disagree with him. My issue with his comments, as reported by Reuters, come from the reference that airing the sport on free, broadcast TV, is not socially responsible.
Seriously? Does he watch the network? We all know what would be plugging those open holes in the lineup if it wasn't for the appearance of Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano (American Gladiators, pictured). Yes, another heaping helping of CSI:X reruns, possibly featuring psychopaths that poison/stab/shoot/strangle/etc their victims. If your argument is that airing fictional murderers committing heinous, bloody, crimes is somehow taking the moral high ground when compared to MMA, I'm really not buying it. For those of you interested in some Saturday night MMA, I've attached the press release, with the fight card, after the jump.
What, Eddie Haskell suing someone isn't enough for you today? OK, how about this: former CBS anchor Dan Rather is suing CBS for $70 million. Also named in the suit are CBS CEO Les Moonves, Sumner Redstone, and former CBS news chief Andrew Heyward.
The lawsuit claims that the network forced him to step down from The CBS Evening News and did not give him enough time on 60 Minutes. He also claims that because of all this, the network aired a "biased" and "incomplete" investigation into the National Guard story and seriously hurt his reputation. New York Times reporter Jacques Steinberg broke the story earlier this afternoon. Rather is currently an anchor on HDNet.
Now let's see if Katie Couric (or Harry Smith, if he's still filling in) reports this story on tonight's show.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 25 Best Dances from 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19
- 'Hart of Dixie' Season 4 Premiere Photos: All About Zoe and Wade
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.8 Photos: A Sheriff's Retreat
- 'The Originals': 15 Moments of Love, Death and Reunions From 'The Brothers That Care Forgot'
- 'Sleepy Hollow': 15 Moments of Ichabod?s Identity Crisis From 'Magnum Opus'
- More From BuddyTV
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman to Star in Big Little Lies Limited Series; David E. Kelley to Serve as Writer/Showrunner
- Supernatural Sneak Peek: Meet the Winchesters' Witchy New Big Bad
- TVLine Items: POI Spies Fringe Alum, Once Princess to Badlands and More
- Hart of Dixie Season 4 Bumped Up to December; See 9 New Premiere Photos
- Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce: A Dishy Lisa Edelstein Drinks with Andy Cohen in Fun Series-Prequel Clip
- More From TVLine
- Jennifer Aniston Pranks Reporter Into Thinking He's Having the Worst Interview Ever
- Hugh Jackman Plays a Terrifying Blackbeard in New 'Pan' Trailer
- Kendra Wilkinson Reveals Whether She Actually Had Sex with Hugh Hefner
- 'New Girl' Sneak Peek: Forget the Turkey! Schmidt Wants You to Celebrate 'Bangsgiving'
- 'Salem': Your First Look at the Haunting Season 2 Teaser
- More From ET