July 24, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 16 Most Blood-Tingling Hookups from 'True Blood'
- 'Under the Dome' Comic-Con 2014 Spoilers: More Death, a Killer Revealed and Escaping the Dome
- '24' at Comic-Con 2014: Issues with Shooting in London, An Alternate Ending and a Movie Update
- ?So You Think You Can Dance? Season 11: Top 16 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Got Talent' Recap: Next Stop...Radio City Music Hall!
- More From BuddyTV
- Reign @ Comic-Con: Frary's 'Awkward' Future, Lola's Baby, Plague-Related Deaths and More Season 2 Scoop
- Scandal's 'Randy' Season 4 Premiere Title: What Could It Possibly Mean?
- Legend of Korra Is Moving Online, But 'There Is Definitely a Book 4'
- Freak Show Adds All My Children Alum
- TVLine Items: Mayim's Candid, Conan Is Beheaded, Big Bang Status and More
- More From TVLine
- Kristen Bell Plays Mary Poppins, Gets Political in Funny or Die Parody
- Zoe Saldana Curses Out Media Following Reports of Twins
- 7 Celebs You Didn't Know Were in Music Videos Before They Were Famous
- Watch 'Big Brother' Star Frankie Grande Get the News His Grandpa Died
- Daniel Radcliffe on Losing His Virginity: I Had a Really Good First Time
- More From ET