June 29, 2015
by Piet Levy, posted May 20th 2010 6:02PM
No city might be as Coco crazy as Chicago. Not only was there an actual protest in the city to support Conan O'Brien during that whole 'Tonight Show' debacle, students at Northwestern University gathered to collectively perform O'Brien's trademark string dance in solidarity. And when a pair of shows for the Chicago stop of his "Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour" went on sale, the shows immediately sold out.
So the expectations for the show's first night in Chicago May 19th were naturally huge – legions of fans showed their support with Conan T-shirts, and some people even tried to sell their own Team Coco shirts outside the theater until the cops busted up the operation. But leave it to the hysterically self-deprecating O'Brien to try to lower those enormous expectations. "I want you people to leave here tonight thinking, 'That was sort of worth it,'" O'Brien said, of course, to laughter, cheers and applause. And for the die-hard Coco cuckoos, it most definitely was.
by Kona Gallagher, posted Apr 4th 2010 4:43PM
About a year ago, Jay Leno traveled to Michigan to do a show for unemployed auto workers. It got him some good PR, and I'm sure the folks in attendance enjoyed themselves. It was a pretty positive experience all around. Since then, very little has gone right for Leno PR-wise, and now, a year later, he's even screwing things up in the Wolverine State.
In March of '09, Jaws Jumbo Burgers, a burger joint in Farmington Hills, Michigan, made a "Thank You Jay Leno" burger as a way to thank the late night host for doing those free shows. They offered Leno an all-expense-paid trip back to Michigan to try the burger out, but they never heard back from him.
They sent him emails, hand delivered packages, took out an ad in a newspaper; still nothing. They even started a blog,documenting the process of trying to get Jay to acknowledge them, but it was still radio silence. So now Jaws Jumbo Burgers is about to defect to Team CoCo.
by Stephanie Earp, posted Jan 26th 2010 10:42AM
Now that it's official - Conan O'Brien's job at NBC is over as of Friday - it's time for Conan to think about how he wants to spend the next few months. He's free to take a new job as of September 1st, but in the meantime, if there's nothing to prevent him from taking part-time gigs, I have a few ideas of how he could spend his time.
'This Hour Has 22 Minutes' and Conan
I give Mark Critch full credit for this idea. Last week, he finished up a broadcast by inviting the beleaguered O'Brien to join the cast of '22 Minutes.' Conan should do it.
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jan 21st 2010 10:30AM
I was on Hulu this morning looking for a clip from The Jay Leno Show for another post I'm doing, and I quickly found out that Hulu users are not on Team Jay. I let my cursor rest on one of the episodes (his January 19th one featuring Chelsea Handler), and some information about the show popped up, including user-generated tags. The above picture is a screenshot from Hulu, and if you can't read it, the tags say, "hack," "thief," "unfunny," "has been," and "backstabber."
If you scroll all the way down on the Jay Leno Show page on Hulu, in addition to a pretty nasty comment thread about how he stole The Tonight Show from Conan, you'll see a place where you can tag videos. Currently Leno has 51 tags, and the ones I mentioned above aren't even the worst ones. They're ranked by order of use, and "hack" is number 1, having been used 66 times. However, "nicest guy in tv" has been used four times, so that's something, right?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scream' Series Premiere and Cast Photos
- Check Out the Official Warner Bros. 2015 San Diego Comic-Con Bags
- 'Teen Wolf': Everything You Need to Know Before the Season 5 Premiere
- 'RHOBH' Star Lisa Rinna: 'You Just Don't Go After My Cubs and My Family'
- Teresa Giudice Offered $2 Million to Return to 'RHONJ'
- More From BuddyTV
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on The Flash, Teen Wolf, Bones, Once, Castle, Faking It, Wayward Pines, The Strain and More
- Bitten Season 3 Picked Up at Syfy
- TVLine Items: Luke's GH Exit Date, New Bad Seed, Chasing Life Moves and More
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're Fired
- The Originals Unveils Spooky New Bag Design for Comic-Con 2015
- More From TVLine
- Watch a 14-Year-Old Amy Winehouse Sing 'Happy Birthday' Like No Other in New Documentary 'Amy'
- Kathy Hilton on Paris' Plane Crash Prank: I Don't Find Cruel Pranks Entertaining At All
- Terrence Howard On What to Expect From Lucious in 'Empire' Season Two: 'He's Going to Clean Up Some Messes'
- Ed Sheeran Joins The Rolling Stones for Awesome Performance of 'Beast of Burden'
- ET's Favorite Fashion Tips
- More From ET