And then you see that it's HBO's just-released trailer for its upcoming new series 'Boardwalk Empire.' Produced by Emmy-winning 'Sopranos' writer Terence Winter AND Martin Scorsese, you know that this show is not just going to be gangster: It's going to be all-out, balls-to-the-wall, bloody gangsta.
Watch the video after the jump.
I'm crazy for HBO, and one of the shows I'm really looking forward to is Boardwalk Empire, a pilot executive produced by Martin Scorsese (who's also directing), Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson, and Terence Winter (who's also penning the pilot).
Based on the Nelson Johnson book Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City, the project chronicles the 1920s origins of Atlantic City, New Jersey. From what I've read, it sounds like a mix of The Departed, The Sopranos and Goodfellas -- all favorites of mine. And the cast they've got lined up couldn't be better.
Steve Buscemi plays Nucky Johnson, a businessman who runs a liquor distribution ring at the beginning of Prohibition. Michael Pitt (pictured) is in negotiations to play Jimmy Darmody, a bright, young, ruthless WWI veteran who serves as a flunky for Nucky, but yearns for more power.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Modern Family Sneak Peek: Did Haley Accidentally Crash Alex's College Tour?
- ABC's black-ish Casts Jenifer Lewis as Anthony Anderson's Mother
- TVLine Items: iZombie Taps Veronica Mars Star, Pretty Little Special & More
- Showtime's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Pilot Adds MADtv Vet, Broadway Actors
- Agent Carter Adds Captain America's Dominic Cooper, as Howard Stark
- More From TVLine
- First Look at Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL'
- Jessa Duggar: Abortion is the Holocaust of Our Time
- Amanda Bynes' Dad Unsure of Daughter's Whereabouts
- George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin's First Wedding Photo Is Here!
- Bryan Adams Goes Back to Basics with Covers Album: See Him Perform 'Many Rivers to Cross'
- More From ET