But though Mol didn't exactly fade into obscurity (she earned kudos for her eye-opening turn in the indie 'The Notorious Bettie Page' and co-starred in ABC's short-lived 'Life on Mars'), neither did she become the huge success the industry predicted she would be. What happened? Was it luck, timing, bad choices or simply a case of too much hype? Whatever that case, Mol's casting got us thinking about other "Almost It" girls that Hollywood left behind about as quickly as it tried to make them mega-stars.
When I first started exploring this project, there were a few shows that I knew were going to be important to hit. This is the first of those. Firefly was Joss Whedon's sci-fi western series. The show mustered disappointing ratings in its short eleven-episode run on FOX.
Since then it's gone on to near mythic cult status. There was such an outcry of support from its loyalists, the Browncoats, over its cancellation that the producers made a feature film sequel. That movie, Serenity, answered a lot of questions about the future fate of the cast. Unfortunately, like the television series, it couldn't find quite enough people to show up and tune in to warrant a sequel. Nevertheless, the few morsels of Firefly we did get are enough to prove that this is one of the most innovative and enjoyable series ever to hit the airwaves.
Yes, even though (or maybe because) I was a very young boy when the V phenomenon first hit, it blew me away. I was haunted by the image of Diana unhinging her jaw and devouring that rodent. And the first peeling of human flees to reveal the green scales underneath was chilling to my pre-adolescent imagination. To this day, I think the concept is brilliantly strong, and the first two mini-series were very well executed. It'll be interesting to see how these creators bring the concept into the new millennium. Clearly the "surprise" reveal that the aliens aren't as benevolent as they purported to be is lost.
Wow, if you bought all of the complete series sets being released this week you'd have a great start for your TV DVD collection: NewsRadio, The Flintstones, The 4400, Sanford and Son, and several others. The NewsRadio set doesn't have anything that wasn't in the individual sets, but it's a great buy if you don't have all of the seasons. The Mystery Science Theater 3000 set (the one with the collectible Crow and lobby cards) might already be sold out, so I'd check on that. I used to watch Zoom back in the 70s, though I can't imagine buying the DVD set.
I don't think I've ever seen The Doris Day Show, but it looks like something I might have to have.
- The 4400 - Complete Series
- Cathouse - Complete Series
- Dark Shadows - Vol. 6: Episodes 179-209
- The Donna Reed Show - Season 1
- The Doris Day Show - Christmas Memories
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - Complete Series
- The Flintstones - Complete Series
- Girlfriends - Season 5
- Good Times - Complete Series
- The Little Rascals - Complete Collection
- The L Word - Season 5
- Millennium - Complete Series
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 - 20th Anniversary Set
- NewsRadio - Complete Series
- Sanford and Son - Complete Series
- Sister, Sister - Season 1
- War and Remembrance - Season 1
- Zoom - Back to the 70s
I'm somewhat dreading this remake because Peters says he will pretty much revamp the human story to something completely different (although an alien invasion will probably still be involved). The theme of the new version will more be about having blind faith in leadership rather than being an allegory of the Nazi occupation of Germany.
It's entirely possible this new version would work. The current Battlestar Galactica is not very much like its predecessor and represents science fiction at its finest. The original V terrified the crap out of the much younger me. Then the network wussed out with the concept and tried to maximize profits by tacking on a happy-ending sequel miniseries and shortly-lived continuing series.
On the other hand, the revamped Flash Gordon was a pile of suck. Here's hoping V is better.
There isn't much known about Echikunwoke's character, other than she'll be the new coroner. For instance, her affinity for the phrase "aw sugar" and her feelings on whether or not the victims on the table "left this world too soon" are, at this point, a mystery.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- The 4400 - Season 4
- Acapulco H.E.A.T. - Complete Series
- 'Allo 'Allo - Series 8
- Avatar The Last Airbender - Book 3 Fire, Vol. 3
- Bewitched - Season 6 (color)
- Crossing Jordan - Season 1
- Greg the Bunny - Best of the Film Parodies: Vol. 2
- A Haunting - Hauntings in America
- Hiya Kids! A 50's Saturday Morning Box
- The Jack Benny Show - The Jack Benny Show
- Madeline - Next Stop America
- Man vs. Wild - Collection 1
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (widescreen)
- Naruto - Uncut Boxed Set Vol. 7 (special edition)
- Punky Brewster - Season 1, Vol. 1
- Sgt. Preston of the Yukon - Best Of
- Speed Racer: The Next Generation - Vol. 1
- Spider-Man - Mutant Agenda
- That Girl - Season 1, Vol. 1
Jericho fans saved that show by mailing tons of nuts to CBS, and now fans of The 4400 want you to try something similar to save that show.
They've set up SaveThe4400.com, where you can sign a petition to save the show and also buy a 1.75 oz bag of sunflower seeds from GiantSeeds.com. Then you send them (of course) to Bonnie Hammer at USA Network headquarters in New York City. I'm sure she'll be happy to get them (cough).
I'm unhappy to report that the cancellation ax fell on the show this week.
- At 7, NBC has a new Football Night In America, followed by the Giants/Cowboys game.
- At 8, CBS has a new Big Brother.
- Food Network has a new Challenge at 8, followed by a new Iron Chef America.
- At 9, PBS has a new Mystery!
- HBO has the series premiere of Tell Me You Love Me at 9, then the season premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
- Lifetime has a new Side Order of Life at 9, then a new State of Mind.
- There's a new episode of The 4400 on USA at 9, followed by a new Dead Zone.
- History Channel has a new Ice Road Truckers at 9.
- VH-1 has a new Rock of Love with Bret Michaels.
- WE has a new Bridezillas at 9.
- Also at 9: HGTV has a new Design Star.
- At 10, A&E has a new Two Coreys.
Check your local TV listings for more.
- At 8, CBS has a new Big Brother.
- NBC has preseason football at 8, the Giants vs. the Ravens.
- Discovery has two new episodes of Blue Planet at 8.
- Lifetime has a new State of Mind at 8, then a new Side Order Of Life.
- TNT has a new, two-hour episode of The Company at 8.
- ESPN2 has the Little League World Series at 8.
- Also at 8: Food Network has a new Challenge.
- At 9, Spike has a new episode of The Kill Point.
- There's a new 4400 on USA at 9, then a new Dead Zone.
- A&E has a new Gene Simmons' Family Jewels at 9, then two new episodes of The Two Coreys.
- HGTV has a new Design Star at 9.
- At 9:30, Cartoon Network has a new Naruto.
- At 10, the History Channel has a new Ice Road Truckers.
- Food Network has a new Throwdown with Bobby Flay at 10.
- Comedy Central has a new Mind of Mencia at 10, then a new American Body Shop.
- HBO has a new Big Love at 10, then new episodes of Entourage and Flight of the Conchords.
Check your local TV listings for more.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11: Ranking the 11 Most Memorable Meltdowns
- 'Teen Wolf': 17 Freaky Moments from 'Required Reading'
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Interview: Paul Wesley on Stefan and Caroline, the Heretics and More
- 'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan Sprayberry Talks More Comedy for Liam in Season 5
- 'RHONYC' Star Ramona Singer on Cheating Husband: He's 'Dead' to Me
- More From BuddyTV
- UnREAL Is 'Terrible,' Bachelor Host Chris Harrison Incorrectly Claims
- Coach Shocker: NBC Revival Poised to Kill Off Shelley Fabares' Christine
- Chelsea Handler Unapologetic About Burning E! Bridge on Way to Netflix
- TVLine Items: Diane Keaton Joins HBO Drama, Lilyhammer Axed and More
- Sense8 Season 2: EP 'Cautiously Optimistic' About Pickup
- More From TVLine
- Jeremy Renner Says He Has Resting ‘Murder Face'… and Proves It!
- Jen Welter Is the NFL's First Ever Female Coach and You Have To Hear Her Story
- Macklemore Reveals He Suffered a Drug Relapse Last Year
- Christina Applegate Turned Down 'Legally Blonde' and Totally Regrets It: ‘What a Stupid Move'
- Topshop Called Out (Again!) by Angry Customers for 'Ridiculously Tiny' Mannequins
- More From ET