The Phil Silvers Show
"A super silly way to fill in the _________!" by Roger Price & Leonard Stern graced the bottom of each Mad Libs, which emerged in 1958. At that point Stern was already a successful writer on 'The Honeymooners,' starring Jackie Gleason.
He began his writing career in film in the early 1950s, but moved on to television. He won an Emmy as part of the writing team for 'The Phil Silvers Show' and another for an episode of 'Get Smart,' in which he acted as executive producer for its entire 1965-1969 run.
Allan Melvin had so many roles on so many TV shows over the years that it's hard to know where to begin, but I guess the most logical spot would be The Brady Bunch, where he played Sam The Butcher, the guy Alice dated. He was also a regular on The Phil Silvers Show, played Archie Bunker's friend Barney on All in the Family, and also played Rob's army buddy on The Dick Van Dyke Show. He appeared on dozens of other shows over the years, from the Andy Griffith Show (he always played a crook - that's him on the right in the pic) and Gomer Pyle, USMC to Kung Fu and The Banana Splits (he was Drooper).
You would probably also recognize his voice in many cartoons, including Magilla Gorilla, The Flintstones, The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour, The Smurfs, Spider-Man and Friends, Foofur, Ducktales, Talespin, and others.
He died of cancer in Los Angeles.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor' Star Chris Soules and Other Stars from the Franchise to Grace Rose Parade
- 'Kardashians' Star Khloe Kardashian Denies She Kicked Out Her Brother Rob Out of Her House
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: Does Phaedra Fall for Apollo's Stunt?
- 'Glee' Episodes 6.3 and 6.4 Photos: A Love Triangle for Kurt
- 'Glee' Season 6 Premiere Photos: Everyone Comes Back to McKinley
- More From BuddyTV