The Southern Vampire Mysteries
Just like one of the characters on the show, 'True Blood' (9PM ET Sunday, HBO) goes through a transformation in the first couple of episodes of its fourth season. Creator and head writer Alan Ball appears to have remembered that his characters -- humans, shapeshifters, vampires, faeries and the like -- are living beings with actual emotions and not just objects for him to Bedazzle with ever-thicker encrustations of incidents, events and OMG moments.
It's a refreshing and surprising change of pace. But then in the third episode, the show starts to show signs of falling into ruts it has frequently and heedlessly dived into before.
The latest television series to get its own comic book adaptation is HBO's 'True Blood,' according to IGN. The comic will be published by IDW Publishing and will involve input from show creator Alan Ball. The article does not indicate that Charlaine Harris, the creator of 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' series from which 'True Blood' was created, would be involved.
'True Blood' is not the first television franchise to get a comic book adaptation. Far from it. The 'Buffy' Season 8 comic written by creator Joss Whedon is still one of the biggest sellers on the shelves.
IDW Publishing practically specializes in adapting television franchises with 'G.I.Joe,' 'Transformers,' 'Star Trek,' 'Doctor Who,' and 'Angel.' Some of those are movie adaptations of television shows that got expanded into comics, but you get the idea.
With its fantasy premise and gothic atmosphere, 'True Blood' should work well as a comic book. It's a good way to tell different and possibly bigger stories without worrying about such things as budget limitations.
[via Pop Candy]
When last we left Sookie and Bill, he was ready to propose before suddenly vanishing while Sookie was in the little girl's room. Of course, those that follow 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' by Charlaine Harris know what's going to happen next. Or do they? Perhaps Alan Ball will decide to take the franchise in a different direction.
Seriously, 'Twilight' fans can keep their sparkly Robert Pattinson and their Team Edward or Team Jacob. 'The Vampire Diaries' is barely palatable. 'True Blood' is the best vampire series on the air since 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and for those that don't agree I will roshambo you for it.
What aspect of the new season are you most looking forward to? Which characters do you want to see more? Are you on Team Bill or Team Eric?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Quantico' Episode 5 Photos: The Trainees Go Undercover for the First Time
- 'Scandal' Episode 5.4 Photos: Fixing Olivia's Image Problem
- 'ANTM' Recap: A Model Is Welcomed Back, Then Sent Packing Again
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Teams Become Gauchos in Argentina
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.5 Photos: Who Can Asher Trust?
- More From BuddyTV
- Shia LaBeouf Arrested in Texas for Public Intoxication
- Why Vin Diesel Is Serious About Stunts
- Calista Flockhart Can't Get Over the 'Supergirl' Buzz
- Gigi Hadid and Mom Yolanda Foster Adorably Hold Hands While in NYC With Joe Jonas, Bella Hadid and The Weeknd
- Watch Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson 'Hit the Quan' in Flawless Dance Video
- More From ET