The Southern Vampire Mysteries
Just like one of the characters on the show, 'True Blood' (9PM ET Sunday, HBO) goes through a transformation in the first couple of episodes of its fourth season. Creator and head writer Alan Ball appears to have remembered that his characters -- humans, shapeshifters, vampires, faeries and the like -- are living beings with actual emotions and not just objects for him to Bedazzle with ever-thicker encrustations of incidents, events and OMG moments.
It's a refreshing and surprising change of pace. But then in the third episode, the show starts to show signs of falling into ruts it has frequently and heedlessly dived into before.
The latest television series to get its own comic book adaptation is HBO's 'True Blood,' according to IGN. The comic will be published by IDW Publishing and will involve input from show creator Alan Ball. The article does not indicate that Charlaine Harris, the creator of 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' series from which 'True Blood' was created, would be involved.
'True Blood' is not the first television franchise to get a comic book adaptation. Far from it. The 'Buffy' Season 8 comic written by creator Joss Whedon is still one of the biggest sellers on the shelves.
IDW Publishing practically specializes in adapting television franchises with 'G.I.Joe,' 'Transformers,' 'Star Trek,' 'Doctor Who,' and 'Angel.' Some of those are movie adaptations of television shows that got expanded into comics, but you get the idea.
With its fantasy premise and gothic atmosphere, 'True Blood' should work well as a comic book. It's a good way to tell different and possibly bigger stories without worrying about such things as budget limitations.
[via Pop Candy]
When last we left Sookie and Bill, he was ready to propose before suddenly vanishing while Sookie was in the little girl's room. Of course, those that follow 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' by Charlaine Harris know what's going to happen next. Or do they? Perhaps Alan Ball will decide to take the franchise in a different direction.
Seriously, 'Twilight' fans can keep their sparkly Robert Pattinson and their Team Edward or Team Jacob. 'The Vampire Diaries' is barely palatable. 'True Blood' is the best vampire series on the air since 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and for those that don't agree I will roshambo you for it.
What aspect of the new season are you most looking forward to? Which characters do you want to see more? Are you on Team Bill or Team Eric?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Tut's Avan Jogia Talks Twisted Cliffhanger, Shares Pitch for Season 2
- Empire Signs Marisa Tomei to Play Lesbian Billionaire in Season 2
- TVLine Items: Donald Glover Pilot Adds to Cast, SOA Vet in The Way and More
- Fatal Attraction Event Series: 20 Actors Who'd Bring the Heat (and the Crazy) to Fox's Thriller Remake
- Sleepy Hollow Wants 'Angelina Jolie' to Play Ichabod's Old Flame Betsy Ross
- More From TVLine
- Tiffani Thiessen Welcomes Second Child Holt Fisher -- See the Adorable Pic!
- Britney Spears' Mom Jamming Out to 'Toxic' Is the Best Thing You'll See All Day
- Miley Cyrus Makes Out With Victoria's Secret Model Stella Maxwell and It's Pretty Intense
- George Takei Has The Perfect Response To Donald Trump's Position on Same-Sex Marriage
- Robin Thicke Says He's Embarrassed By Attempts to Get Paula Patton Back
- More From ET