So says Fox Sports president David Hill. Asked by the Los Angeles Times if he could promise that next year's halftime act would be someone under 60, Hill said, "Oh, please God yes." He said that, while he's a fan of the Who, the aging rockers did neither themselves nor the game any favors with this year's performance on the CBS telecast.
Yesterday's game featured The Who. Not knocking these musicians at all. There's no denying they're rock legends. But at the same time, there are so many younger bands that are in their prime and could probably put on a better show.
Still, The Who's light show was darn awesome. What do you think? Ok with the ancient bands at half-time?
Watch the video after the jump.
Whether it's the parades or football games or Charlie Brown cooking toast and popcorn, television is as much a part of Thanksgiving as the turkey and cranberry sauce. This year, we're giving thanks to some of our favorite TV holiday celebrations. It was supposed to be a top ten list, but just like with Thanksgiving dinner, we couldn't resist a little extra stuffing.
"That's what I just said. Who."
"No, seriously. Which is the band that's going to appear?"
"I'm not talking proper English. Which band will be on CBS's halftime show on February 7 at Landshark Stadium in Miami?"
"The Who -- you know, Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend. 'Tommy, can you hear me?'"
"Oh! Why didn't you just say that!"
Okay, I couldn't resist the nod to Abbott and Costello's Who's On First. But the fact is that Sports Illustrated has spread the word that The Who will star in the Super Bowl big, overblown half-time pageant. This follows the safe pattern the NFL has been employing since the Janet Jackson-Justin Timberlake costume malfunction; that is, stick with classic rock stars who are guaranteed to do their hits and not disrobe. That's why we've had Prince, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and now The Who. All superstar acts, no controversy.
That was mostly about Barbra Streisand finally being named. Streisand, who's been recognized with every major show business award (two Oscars, multiple Emmys and Grammys, a special Tony, Peabody awards, an AFI, more Golden Globes and any other performer, and lots more) has been overdue for this one. It's been a glaring omission in her resume. Of course, the catch with the Kennedy Center is that you have to be there to get it.
Joss Whedon and Dr. Horrible are getting loads of press right now, and deservedly so. It's very good. But there are also plenty of other shows that exist out on the internet. Since it's Saturday and most of us have a little extra time to burn before we head out to the multiplex and chase down a Dark Knight ticket, I thought I'd share one of those that I get a kick out of.
After the jump, have a look at Nite Fite as Penalty (Dan Meth) and Lloyd (Mark Vitelli) tackle the hot button issue of whether or not The Who sold out by letting CSI use their songs for those now famous opening sequences. As Penalty puts it, "Why would The Who urinate all over their artwork?" It's very funny, and one worth setting a bookmark for. New episodes arrive on Thursday nights, at 11.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Funniest Quotes from 'Big Brother 17' Week 5
- 'The Bachelorette' Where Are They Now?: A Relationship Status Update
- Why 'BoJack Horseman' Is the Best Netflix Original You're Not Watching
- 'Bachelorette' Runner-Up Nick Viall: ' I Think Shawn Really Enjoys My Misfortune'
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: The House Flips and New Targets Emerge
- More From BuddyTV
- Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce Adds Abby's Parents in Season 2
- Cosby Show Legacy 'Kind of Tarnished' By Bill Cosby Sex Scandal, Says EP
- Secrets and Lies: Jordana Brewster, Charlie Barnett Join Season 2
- Pretty Little Liars Sneak Peek: Caleb Bails on Hanna Right Before Prom
- TVLine Items: Yvonne Strahovski in Amazon Pilot, New Arrow Foe and More
- More From TVLine
- Conflicting Reports of Valerie Harper's Condition Continue as Theater Issues Statement Insisting She Is 'Resting'
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals How Many Pounds She's Lost
- Whitney Cummings Shows Off 25-Pound Weight Gain in Topless Instagram Photo
- Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake Happily Step Out Together for the First Time Since Birth of Baby Silas
- Mark Zuckerberg Expecting First Child With Wife Priscilla Chan -- Read His Emotional Facebook Post
- More From ET