by Joel Keller, posted Dec 23rd 2008 11:02AM
... one great TV moment.
2008 was filled with great TV moments, more than most years. So when I asked the TV Squad crew what they thought the greatest moment this year was, I got a lot of responses: the Fey / Palin "summit" on SNL, Letterman going off an an absent John McCain, any of Michael Phelps' Olympic victories, the spectacular opening ceremonies in Beijing, the finale of The Shield, any of the Presidential / VP debates, the Giants' upset of the Pats in the Super Bowl, and probably more that I can't even think of right now.
But they all seemed small in comparison to what happened in the late-night hours of Election Day, when Barack Obama got up in front of a crowd in Chicago's Grant Park and gave his acceptance speech. No matter what you think of Obama or his politics, it was a historic moment, and not just because Obama had just been elected the first African-American president. But the reason why it's the best TV moment of 2008 is because... well, moments like this don't happen that much anymore, do they?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Did Mr. Robot Need More Tyrell? Where Is Ray Donovan's Son? Arrow Misfire? Weak Whispers UFOs? And More TV Qs
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Walking Dead, Vampire Diaries, Castle, The Good Wife, Bones, Big Bang, Supernatural and More
- Days of Our Lives Photo: Peter Reckell Returns as Bo for NBC Soap's 50th
- Video: Caitlyn Jenner Wonders 'Should I Have Done It Earlier?' on Ellen Premiere
- Game of Thrones Adds Freddie Stroma to Season 6 as [Spoiler]'s Sibling
- More From TVLine
- Demi Lovato Responds to Pink's VMAs Diss: My Past Songs Have Helped People
- Giada De Laurentiis Officially Divorced, Will Pay $9K a Month to Ex in Child Support
- Caitlyn Jenner Admits She Was Not a Supporter of Gay Marriage 20 Years Ago
- Selena Gomez Poses in Nothing but Her Bra and Tights
- Blake Lively Reveals the Trainer That Helped Her With Her Cellulite
- More From ET