by Stephanie Earp, posted Jul 19th 2011 1:00PM
Lisa Kudrow's new comedy 'Web Therapy' debuts this week on Showtime, and if the title didn't tip you off, the show is a 30-minute reworking of a web series Kudrow started in 2008. The simple premise worked beautifully in the miniature format.
Kudrow plays Fiona Wallice, a therapist who thinks 50 minutes is too long for a therapy session, and conducts her mini-sessions via webcam. Of course, like most of Kudrow's characters, Wallice is self-centred, mean, and not all that well-informed. (I don't know why Kudrow insists on creating such unlikeable alter-egos for herself, but that's another column.) The trick will be to see if whatever charm the original held is maintained in a 30-minute format.
I'm going to be totally honest here -- I had never heard of 'Web Therapy' until it got picked up for television. Am I completely out of touch? Was the whole world watching this and nobody mentioned it to me? Or are you just as surprised as I am to hear that Kudrow has been regularly employed -- and winning Webby Awards -- for the last four years?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Season 6: First look at Usher and Shakira's return to the big red chairs
- 'X Factor' finale: Alex and Sierra on their almost-proposal
- Michael Buble and Mariah Carey hit 'All I Want for Christmas is You' for holiday special
- 'The Voice': Jacquie Lee gets a Christina Aguilera parting gift
- Hillary Clinton is Barbara Walters' most fascinating person of 2013 and the past 20 years
- More From Zap2it
- The X Factor Season 3 Performance Finale Recap: Dream Until Your Dreams Come True [Updated]
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson Suspended in Wake of Anti-Gay Tirade – Was It the Right Call?
- Snow Kidding: Super Bowl XLVIII Date Could Move in the Event of Extreme Weather
- Fall TV Ratings Champs: NFL, Voice and Spader Fuel NBC's Demo Win; CBS Draws Most Eyeballs
- Scoop: Marcia Cross Eyes TV Comeback as Fatrick's Mother in Fox Comedy Pilot
- More From TVLine