We interrupt your regularly scheduled browsing for a very important announcement: The site you are now viewing is about to change channels.
At 10AM ET on Wednesday, December 14, we are rolling the final credits on AOL TV and launching an all-new site, HuffPost TV.
HuffPost TV is no mere spin-off. All your favorite characters, including TV critic Maureen Ryan and West Coast editor Maggie Furlong, are making the leap, and so are all the features and listings pages you have come to rely on. Chris Harnick and Crystal Bell will continue to serve up the latest news from the wild and wonderful world of TV, and TV Replay will still be your one-stop destination for addictive video clips and highlights from across the grid.
The Huffington Post has compiled a list of some of the more outrageous banned Super Bowl ads including the steamy PETA "veggie sex" ad and this ad for Smartbeep that has been floating around the Internet for years but didn't know until now that it was supposed to air during the Super Bowl. Thank you, Internet. You're the teacher that none of my teachers could ever be.
Fortunately, it was just my skewed sense of humor at work, because Arianna Huffington, the political talking head and co-creator of The Huffington Post, is not starring in a sitcom. ABC has bought Huffington's idea for a multicamera sitcom. And just to make sure it's funny, they've hired executive producer Greg Malins (Friends, How I Met Your Mother) to develop the project.
20th Century Fox TV is producing the show for ABC and, yes, it is about politics. See, there are these three freshman members of the House of Representatives, two men and a woman (but no pizza place). They share an apartment in the D.C. area. "One is swept up in the movement of change... one has been in politics for a long time, and one is a master of the media and sound bites," said Malins.
... nine Writers' Strike supporting sites.
Sure, the WGA strike sucks. But it doesn't just suck for us, the TV viewers (or reviewers, as the case may be here at TV Squad). It sucks for a lot of people with families to support. But I don't want to be a total downer. If you have been following the strike, then you probably already know there are a lot of great resources out there. But if you haven't been reading closely, you may find these nine sites worth clicking to for more information (and, in many cases, entertainment).
A few days ago I wrote about Rachel Sklar's Saturday Night Live piece in The Village Voice. Being that she had full access to the cast members as well as to executive producer Lorne Michaels, she gathered plenty of information, much of it not included in her Village Voice article.
So, rather than tossing it in the trash, Sklar took those remnants and posted them at The Huffington Post, where she is editor as well as contributor. There's some pretty good stuff here. For example, Michaels says 40 to 50 sketches are read and written during the normal show week, with only 10 to 15 of those making it to air on Saturday night. Also of interest is that cast member Jason Sudeikis' uncle is George Wendt, the happy-go-lucky alcoholic Norm from Cheers.
As Sklar says, a lot of this information is for the committed comedy wonk. So, if you aren't into the behind-the-scenes stuff this may not be for you. However, if you want to know about the "Really Important Things That SNL Staff, Cast & Writers Should Know" bulletin board, click here.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Is the Twin Twist Exposed?
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Searches for Tracy While The Ladies Get a Chance to Shine
- 'The Whispers' Recap: Drill's Secrets are Revealed
- 'Becoming Us' Recap: Does Carly Steal Sutton's Thunder?
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kaitlyn's Secret and Shawn's Jealous Rage
- More From BuddyTV
- USA Renews Chrisley Knows Best for Season 4 — Exclusive Sneak Peek
- Ratings: Island Hits Low With Finale, SYTYCD and Bachelorette Rise
- Degrassi's Farewell Promo Teases Prom, Graduation and More
- Mr. Robot Video: Evil Corp's Wannabe CTO Slaps (!) Himself Into Shape
- Teen Wolf Recap: Without a Tracy
- More From TVLine
- Scott Disick's Ex-Girlfriend, Chloe Bartoli, Attacked on Social Media Following Kourtney Kardashian Split
- EXCLUSIVE: Evangeline Lilly Packs a Punch in New ‘Ant-Man' Featurette
- Paula Deen in Hot Water for Posting Brownface Photo on Twitter
- EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: Brooks & Dunn's Kix Brooks Will Make You Hungry With New Show
- NSFW! Justin Bieber Bares His Butt on Instagram
- More From ET