They began in a comic book shop, where Alonso handed anchor Jeff Glor a few books. "These are all little pieces of history you hold in your hands," he said. Captain America, it was noted, debuted in the spring of 1941. At that time, no one could have imagined such a full-color, live action, CGI-enhanced version of Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's creation coming to the big screen.
If he gets the job, it's a lot of pressure on Joss. 'The Avengers' is the intended target movie of all these superhero movies that Marvel is pumping out, including 'Iron Man,' 'Captain America,' 'Thor,' and 'The Incredible Hulk.' Even worse, with Disney in the mix Joss would have to answer to a lot of corporate suits (which is rumored to be the reason that he walked away from the 'Wonder Woman' movie).
Also, Joss' last movie was 'Serenity,' which was a cult hit and a good movie but not a box office smash. For 'The Avengers' movie to work, it must make major cash. While my heart sings at the possibility of Joss getting into the franchise, experience tells me that this is no more than a pipe dream.
While this news doesn't only affect television, it does affect the industry enough to warrant a mention since both companies have historically had a television presence. Disney has purchased Marvel Entertainment for about $4 billion.
So does this mean we'll be seeing Spider-Mickey cartoons in the near future? Beats me. There are certainly benefits to Disney's acquisition. Marvel is predominately known as a comic book company and that market has been shrinking. However, the visibility of its characters has been growing due to the myriad of Marvel movies out there.
I'm sure words like 'synergy' and 'downsizing' are going to be used when describing this situation in the future. Will there be layoffs at Marvel? Should editor-in-chief Joe Quesada fear for his job?
My biggest concern is content interference on the part of Disney and the "toning down" of the more adult storylines and characters at Marvel in an effort to maintain the corporate image of its new parent. One can only hope that Disney lets Marvel be Marvel.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Vampire Diaries Season Finale Sneak Peek: New Photos Reveal 'Violence' and 'Despair'
- NCIS First Look: Hey, Did You Hear the One About DiNozzo and the Admiral's Daughter…?
- American Idol Exclusive: Top 5 Theme Is…
- Exclusive: Big Bang Theory's Raj, Bones' Sweets Embroiled in Unorthodox Love Triangle
- Teen Wolf Season 4, Ed Sheeran Documentary Lead MTV's Newly Announced Summer Schedule
- More From TVLine
- Tori Spelling Acknowledges Her Cheating Past on 'True Tori'
- Bryan Singer Calls Underage Sex Abuse Allegations 'Vicious,' Pulls Out of 'X-Men' Promo Events
- Exclusive: Listen To Classic Funk Band War's New Single Off First Album in 20 Years
- Aaron Carter on Hilary Duff: I Would Sweep Her Off Her Feet (VIDEO)
- George Clooney Gets In Heated Altercation In Las Vegas
- More From ET