They began in a comic book shop, where Alonso handed anchor Jeff Glor a few books. "These are all little pieces of history you hold in your hands," he said. Captain America, it was noted, debuted in the spring of 1941. At that time, no one could have imagined such a full-color, live action, CGI-enhanced version of Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's creation coming to the big screen.
If he gets the job, it's a lot of pressure on Joss. 'The Avengers' is the intended target movie of all these superhero movies that Marvel is pumping out, including 'Iron Man,' 'Captain America,' 'Thor,' and 'The Incredible Hulk.' Even worse, with Disney in the mix Joss would have to answer to a lot of corporate suits (which is rumored to be the reason that he walked away from the 'Wonder Woman' movie).
Also, Joss' last movie was 'Serenity,' which was a cult hit and a good movie but not a box office smash. For 'The Avengers' movie to work, it must make major cash. While my heart sings at the possibility of Joss getting into the franchise, experience tells me that this is no more than a pipe dream.
While this news doesn't only affect television, it does affect the industry enough to warrant a mention since both companies have historically had a television presence. Disney has purchased Marvel Entertainment for about $4 billion.
So does this mean we'll be seeing Spider-Mickey cartoons in the near future? Beats me. There are certainly benefits to Disney's acquisition. Marvel is predominately known as a comic book company and that market has been shrinking. However, the visibility of its characters has been growing due to the myriad of Marvel movies out there.
I'm sure words like 'synergy' and 'downsizing' are going to be used when describing this situation in the future. Will there be layoffs at Marvel? Should editor-in-chief Joe Quesada fear for his job?
My biggest concern is content interference on the part of Disney and the "toning down" of the more adult storylines and characters at Marvel in an effort to maintain the corporate image of its new parent. One can only hope that Disney lets Marvel be Marvel.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Justin Bieber Roast: Ron Burgundy, Monkey Lovin' and 13 Other Highlights
- Castle Hints More at Beckett's Future — Plus: Watch RySpo 'Get Lucky'
- Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?
- The Voice Recap: TKO and Sympathy
- Arrow/Flash Spinoff Taps Doctor Who Alum as Time Traveler Rip Hunter
- More From TVLine
- FLASHBACK: ‘Tommy Boy' Turns 20! Behind the Scenes With Chris Farley and David Spade
- Zayn Malik's First Solo Song Is Out (and Some One Direction Fans Aren't Happy)
- Helen Mirren Wants to Join 'Fast & Furious' Franchise: 'Vin, Get Your Act Together!'
- FLASHBACK: 22-Year-Old Celine Dion Admires Madonna, Mariah and Whitney
- 'DWTS' Season 20: Week 3 Heats Up With Latin Night!
- More From ET