Why then would ABC be giving Nicole Richie a new sitcom? I just don't see where she's worthy of a show, let alone that she has the star appeal or talent to carry a situation comedy.
Perhaps ABC has some take on The Simple Life star that I'm missing. She's cute, yes. She's not a complete airhead judging by what I've seen of her on talk shows. But, really, aren't there better actresses -- stars -- who are more viable for a new comedy series? Stars will more talent than celebrity to their credit.
Variety is reporting that the former 'Simple Life' co-star is set to produce and star in a single-camera comedy for ABC, an idea that Richie pitched herself. The untitled show will follow her as a professional woman who is trying to figure out how to juggle her family and career duties. 'Californication' writer Daisy Gardner is set to write the pilot, with 'According to Jim' alum Warren Bell serving as executive producer.
Probably known more for being a tabloid fixture, Richie's new, more settled-down life might mirror her new TV project. She's recently given birth to two children, ducking the dumb-blonde shtick that 'The Simple Life' once projected her as.
The new fall pilots don't excite me very much, what with all of the cops, doctors and lawyers. But I know networks, and original ideas aren't exactly the "in" thing.
So, why can't we design some spin-offs? You know, the networks might go for some ideas based on hit shows, and we can make them a little bit unique, right? Let's add in some elements that excite us to some familiar characters and see if we can't create some new spin-off pilots better than the actual ones.
Not only is Richie planning on producing the show, but she'll be appearing in it as well. Even though she based Chloe Parker on herself, Richie says that she won't necessarily be playing the lead, "I would definitely produce and definitely be in the show, [but] I don't know if I need to be the star of this show." Since production is still in the early stages, the details surrounding the series remain unclear, such as what network it will be on, and whether or not it will be a drama or a comedy.
"The children I have met through my involvement with Children's Hospital have truly touched my heart," Hilton said in a statement. "I am proud to make a donation and lend my name to the fundraising effort to help children who are facing terribly serious illnesses."
Far be it from me to be a cynic in light of such charity, but this is a woman who has lived such a life of debauchery that the gossip rags have their own special section regarding her. I'm not sure what to think.
So what do you folks think? Actual generosity, or publicity stunt? Or maybe a little of both?
Executive producer Josh Schwartz says Nicole Richie is actually quite funny: "Nicole auditioned for the part and was very funny. This role is a great opportunity for her to show off her comedic skills and be diabolically evil and kick some butt."
A day hasn't gone by where we haven't received some sort of tip or email asking us, the TV Squad, how to get on [insert reality show here]. Unfortunately no, Simon Cowell does not work for us, and Donald Trump isn't my BFF, so we really can't help all that much.
The folks at RealityWanted.com often send us a list of new and existing reality shows that are looking for new, er, talent, and they've given us permission to make mention of them here. We'll try to make this a regular feature as often as we get a new list.
This time we have The Bachelor, The Pick Up Artist, Teen Dream and other new shows.
Paris and Nicole, we hardly knew ye.
Actually, we knew ye way too much. But that won't be a problem anymore (at least on a weekly TV show basis). E! has canceled The Simple Life. US Magazine is reporting that producers think that everything happening in the girls' private lives is overshadowing the show. Funny, I would argue that the success of the show is based only on what happened in their private lives. Why else are people watching these two?
A source tells the mag that Nicole was also really hard to work with, saying "Paris was the one willing to do anything. Nicole was the diva."
[via TV Tattle]
- At 7, CBS has a new 60 Minutes.
- NBC has a new, two-hour Dateline at 7.
- CNN has a debate between all the Democrati candidates for President at 7.
- At 8, The CW repeats the pilot episode of Hidden Palms.
- Lifetime has the new movie Write & Wrong, with Kirstie Alley at 8, followed by the series premiere of Army Wives.
- MTV has the (live) MTV Movie Awards at 8 (repeated at 10).
- At 9, PBS has a new Mystery!
- There's a new Gene Simmons' Family Jewels on A&E at 9.
- HBO has a new Sopranos at 9, then the season finale of Entourage.
- Also at 9: Food Network has two new episodes of The Next Food Network Star.
- At 10, MSNBC repeats this morning's Meet The Press, if you missed it.
- HGTV has a new Bought & Sold at 10, then a new My First Place.
- E! has a new Simple Life Goes To Camp at 10, followed by a new Sunset Tan.
- Showtime has a new ep of The Tudors at 10.
Check your local TV listings for more.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie are soon to be "fat camp" counselors in the new season of The Simple Life.
- It's time to choose a new Miss USA, but not before wallowing in Tara Connor's guilt one last time.
- So much responsibility! The writers at Days of Our Lives are letting you choose Sami's wedding presents.
Are headlines like that even surprising anymore?
The Simple Life's (emphasis on SIMPLE) Nicole Richie was arrested early this morning in Burbank, CA for going the wrong way on the 134 freeway. Witnesses called the police, and when police got to her car, she admitted she had taken Vicodin and smoked pot. But she wasn't drunk on booze, thank heavens, which means she's being responsible.
Two interesting aspects to this story: one, the police have told TMZ.com that they aren't going to release Richie's mug shot, which means it can't be added to the Hall of Fame. And two, the police report lists her height as 5 feet 1 inches and her weight as 85 pounds. Which basically means she weights nothing, and when she turns sideways she vanishes completely. She should join Heroes!
Update: the TMZ.com story has been updated with Richie's booking photo.
Every year around this time, the year-in-review and best and worst articles start showing up in newspapers and magazines and blogs, and so do the predictions for the following year. Here are my predictions for 2007 concerning TV personalities and shows.
1. Rachael Ray, in the middle of pouring EVOO in a skillet for the 11,000th time, will suddenly scream "fuck this!", throw the bottle against the wall, walk over to her elevator, say "I'm sick of all the shows and the books and the appearances...so long suckers!" and get into the elevator and disappear.
Episodes cost the usual $1.99.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Nashville: On the Record Recap: We'll Do It Live!
- American Idol Top 6 Performance Recap: Wanna Ya-ah-ah-ah-ah… Yahoo It!
- CBS' Thursday Night Football Dates Set: When This Fall Might Big Bang Reclaim Its Time Slot?
- Arrow Recap: A Mother Of a Twist (Times Three)
- Sirens Sneak Peek: Will Johnny and Hank Allow Brian Into 'The Neutral Zone'?
- More From TVLine