The nominated shows are listed below in alphabetical order by category:
Danny Thomas Producer of the Year Award in Episodic Television - Comedy
'30 Rock' (NBC)
'The Office' (NBC)
Norman Felton Producer of the Year Award in Episodic Television - Drama
'Breaking Bad' (AMC)
'Mad Men' (AMC)
'True Blood' (HBO)
The program will beam into 400 movie screens nationwide and will feature TAL host, and Buffy fan, Ira Glass and guests sharing stories connected by a central theme, "Return to the Scene of the Crime." The simulcast will feature show regulars Dan Savage, Starlee Kine, Mike Birbiglia, David Rakoff and Dave Hill along with Dollhouse producer Whedon who will deliver a "special musical performance."
Some very cool news for fans of This American Life, the Showtime version of the long-running public radio mainstay. The first season of the series is now available on iTunes for $1.99 per episode (six episodes total) or $10.99 for the whole season. You can also download the radio version for free, just in case you didn't know.
I'll admit I didn't get into This American Life, the radio series or the TV program, until recently after hearing for many years how compelling and well-made it is. Those people were right, and it's become a permanent fixture on both my Tivo and my iPod. If they made a This American Life pamphlet, I would subscribe to that, too.
As we've previously reported, This American Life is coming to Showtime, and we were lucky enough to get a look at the first four episodes. It's no secret that I had high hopes for this show, and was all set to have them crushed, trampled, and stomped upon. However, I'm happy to report that that my hopes are still intact, at least after having seen four episodes. There's still room for my hopes to be smashed into a million crystalline fragments down the road.
First off, if you've never heard an episode of This American Life, it's high time that you head to iTunes and subscribe to their podcast. It's one of the best radio shows I've ever heard, and presents stories from Americans that you'll never hear anywhere else. It's pure documentary work where the hosts and interviewers don't overshadow the subjects, and features as much humor as it does touching drama. A real gem on the radio dial, and it's a labor of love on Public Radio International, which is more famous for its content, and not for the fortunes they pay their hosts.
When I read that This American Life was coming to television, I was cautiously optimistic. Ira Glass and crew do such a terrific job telling stories with audio that I admit I was worried about video taking away some of the intimacy. After watching this trailer (it's also embedded after the jump) I was blown away. It looks as beautiful as This American Life sounds. Apparently the producers of the television show found photographers and editors who think the way This American Life is produced. Just like the radio broadcast, the camera shots are from unusual angles. It's pretty much the opposite of anything you'd see on MTV.
This American Life premieres on Showtime on March 22.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ?So You Think You Can Dance? Season 11: Top 16 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Got Talent' Recap: Next Stop...Radio City Music Hall!
- 'Graceland' Recap: Paige Goes Through Hell
- 'Suits' Recap: Harvey (Sort of) Breaks a Sweat
- 'Extant' Recap: Spilling Secrets, Covert Experiments, and a Mysterious Party Crasher
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: Fresh Talent Boosts Taxi, Big Brother and SYTYCD Rise, Extant Falls
- Can TV's S.H.I.E.L.D. Not Reassemble Until the May 2015 Avengers Sequel?
- Extant Recap: Crappy Birthday to You
- Mircea Monroe, Aimee Garcia Join Michael Rosenbaum in TV Land Pilot
- Dominion's Roxanne McKee Teases Big Changes: 'Claire's Innocence Is Lost'
- More From TVLine
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal In the Works After 'Cabaret' Outburst
- EXCLUSIVE: Kelsey Grammer's Wife Kayte Gives Birth to Their Second Child
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now!
- Jake Gyllenhaal Is SUPER Creepy In New 'Nightcrawler' Trailer
- Justin Bieber Teases 11 New Songs On Instagram
- More From ET