'How I Met Your Mother' star Neil Patrick Harris defended his right to host the Tony Awards (Sun., 8PM ET on CBS) against former Tony MC Hugh Jackman.
Dueling it out in a very Great White Way, Harris and Jackman referenced the past 60 years of Broadway and Hollywood musicals in a toe-tapping bid to outdo one another onstage at New York's Beacon Theatre.
The 64th annual show, which salutes of the best on Broadway for the past year, drew only 7 million viewers for CBS, which included a weak 1.2 preliminary rating among adults 18-49. The numbers were down 8 percent from last year, according to a report from the Live Feed.
The other day when Hugh Jackman removed his name from the running, I asked you for your ideas and told you that I like Kathy Griffin. Jimmy liked George Clooney and Justin Timberlake. Sancty suggested Neil Patrick Harris.
Neil is not only one of the funniest talents around, but he is a legitimate singer who has appeared on Broadway, hosted the Tony Awards (and the upcoming Emmys, too) and knows what it takes to sing professionally. And let's not forget Dr. Horrible.
So, it's not a big surprise to hear that NPH is near a deal to host the Emmys as well, according to Variety.
Like Paul, I don't watch the Tonys, which isn't saying much because I don't watch the Oscars or the Emmys, either. The only award show I'll watch is the People's Choice Awards, and only because I didn't figure out until recently that the winners aren't all chosen by Nia Peeples. I just have a lot of respect for her opinion, I'm not sure why.
Anyway, Late Night with Conan O'Brien's resident insult dog puppet, Triumph, was as the Tony Awards (equipped with his Gaydar 4000), and as usual when Triumph crashes an event, the results are freaking hysterical. I want so badly to list all of my favorite lines from the bit, but since I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it, check out the video below.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Summer Cookout: Recipes from Our Favorite Cooking Shows
- From Kelly to Candice: Ranking the 'American Idol' Winners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Rankings: Who Was the Baddest Character in Season 4?
- 'American Idol': Ranking the Winners' Coronation Songs
- 'How I Met Your Mother' Promotes Cristin Milioti to Series Regular
- More From BuddyTV
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2013: Ann and Nancy Wilson bring the Heart
- 'American Idol' runner-up Kree Harrison to make her Grand Ole Opry debut on June 4
- Mariah Carey did not lip-sync on 'American Idol,' according to her rep
- TV ratings: 'Nikita' finale rises slightly while 'Shark Tank' dominates a night of news and reruns
- 'Doctor Who' Season 7 finale: Watch Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman introduce 'Name of the Doctor' and the prequel episode
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Doctor Is Out, Ben Affleck on SNL, Simpsons Finale and More
- Exclusive First Look: The Goodwin Games Cast Takes Part in a Violent Beatdown!
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Nikita's Maggie Q
- Exclusive First Look: AMC's New Showville Puts Spotlight on Townie Talent
- Mike & Molly Creator Steps Down as Showrunner
- More From TVLine