Writing is one of the oddest professions. A lot of people just don't get what we do, why we do it, how we do it, or what we get paid. I've encountered countless numbers of people who think that I'm rich because I'm a writer and "that lady J.K. Rowling is a writer and she's rich!" or they think I shouldn't get paid that much because "writing is easy and fun" or some other sort of logic.
Brookes Barnes doesn't get it either. He has an op-ed piece in the New York Times this week about the latest negotiations between the WGA and the AMPTP. TV and film writers want a piece of the DVD sales pie. Barnes seems to think that they're asking for too much because...well, I'll let Barnes explain it himself, in his opening paragraph:
Welcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.
TV usually gets the writing profession wrong. I've never understood why, since shows and characters are written by writers themselves. Maybe they think they have to dumb it down for the general audience. That's why you have writers like Jessica Fletcher, who just sits down at the typewriter and the words come out fine and she mails it off to her publisher. This happens all the time on television. And have you ever noticed that when you hear the writing that a writer character has done on a show it's almost always terrible? Why is that?
After the jump are six writer characters on TV that were done correctly.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Pretty Little Liars': The 20 Most Shocking Moments from Season 5A
- Meet the Castaways on 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Top Moments: Mona, Ali's Lies and a Brutal Murder from 'Taking This One to the Grave'
- 'Person of Interest' Interview: Jim Caviezel and EP Greg Plageman on Season 4's 'War Between Two Artificial Intelligences'
- 'Arrow' Interview: EP Greg Berlanti Teases Year of People Saving 'Either Their Own Soul or Someone Else's'
- More From BuddyTV
- Fargo Boss Drops New Season 2 Intel: 'There Are a Lot of [Spoiler]'
- FX Orders Zach Galifianakis Clown Comedy Baskets to Series
- Video: OITNB's Laverne Cox on Emmy- Induced Spontaneous Combustion
- TVLine Items: Friends Sets Up Shop in NYC, Hulu Will Party Down and More
- Glee Season 6 Plan Revealed: Rachel Revives New Directions and More
- More From TVLine
- 'Sopranos' Creator Finally Reveals Whether Tony Died in the Finale
- Idris Elba Talks About That Picture Featuring a Very Noticeable Bulge
- Zach Galifianakis is Coming To FX With 'Baskets!'
- Kylie Jenner Is Morphing Into Kim Kardashian
- Cobra Starship Teams Up With Icona Pop, Channels '90s Vibes With New Music
- More From ET