Not so fast. Before you could say Champs Elysees, the two were boarding a jet at Charles de Gaulle airport to complete an assignment that turned into murder in the air. Fortunately, the mystery on the airliner trumped the one on the ground and made for a good episode.
I know my tastes skew towards reality TV, but I've gotten some obscure wishes this year on how to improve my television experience.
- No more football overrunning The Amazing Race. If we know that an NFL game is stretched into three hours, why can't they start a half hour early and if they end on time have 30 minutes of post-show analysis and interviews? They could even dedicate 30 minutes to pre-game analysis. If you're investing three hours, you are willing to invest four.
To submit questions to the "Ask TV Squad" column, you can post them below in comments or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week, I follow up on the last "Ask TV Squad" about TV shows on DVD and answer a question about which TV DVDs you should own.
In the spirit of Halloween, here are the Top 13 scariest moments on television (in no particular order). Let us know if we've missed the mark.
Even Oprah looks terrified! The world shuddered in horror when they realized that cool guy from 'Top Gun' was indeed crazy. His ranting, yelling, jumping, and awkward showing-off of new girlfriend Katie Holmes permanently altered his public image. He still hasn't recovered - and it's doubtful he'll ever be a sex symbol again.
20th Century Fox
20th Century Fox
20th Century Fox
I got a great letter this week from a TV fan named Jim R.
"Dear TV Squad, About 15 years ago, I watched an episode of a scifi/fantasy TV show wherein an Elvis impersonator traveled back in time to meet (and eventually kill) the real Elvis. Could you please tell me the name of this program? Thanks"
(S04E14) Out of all the dreams Allison has awakened from this season, tonight gets my vote for "Most Likely to Make You Jump Out of Bed and Scare the Crap Out of Your Sleeping Husband."
One thing you have to get used to if you are fan of Medium, is the ever present scene where somebody doesn't understand how Allison knows what she knows. Even though Joe, Davalos, Scanlon and most of her friends are well aware why Allison acts so strange, there are still plenty of people who are baffled by her behavior and, as a matter of course, have to react with disbelief and/or confusion. It gets old but it's a necessary evil. The most genuine of these reactions, however, come from the Dubois children.
Overall, this was a particularly interesting episode because it seemed to lay the groundwork for where Eli Stone is going. Since it's likely that the show is going to be renewed -- deservedly so -- the prospect of Eli getting that surgery which may correct the aneurysm that's causing his visions, may not be happening after all.
OK, if you're not all exhausted by the Sopranos talk and examination of that final scene, let me bring up yet another take on the episode, via a friend of TV critic Roger Catlin at The Hartford Courant.
During the scene in the safehouse in the episode, there an an episode of The Twilight Zone playing on the television. An alert viewer figured out that it was the 1963 episode "The Bard," where a TV writer gets help from the ghost of William Shakespeare, who gets angry at the meddling from advertisers and the network and eventually punches an actor (Burt Reynolds).
The SciFi Channel is airing a Twilight Zone marathon that will run from 9am on December 31 through 5am on January 2. As much as I'd love to record every episode, that's a bit much for ye olde Tivo to handle, so I had to cherry pick my favorite episodes and just record those. Someday I'll do what Bob did and buy the complete set on DVD, but for now I'll have to make due with what SciFi offers me. At least it's the original Rod Serling version and not any of those god-awful remakes that popped up later, though I think even fans like myself have to remember that not every episode of the original Twilight Zone was perfect. Some of them were rather heavy-handed and cornball, but memory sometimes has a way of only recalling the best of some things.
Speaking of the complete DVD set, you can watch some of the DVD extras on the SciFi site, including actor commentaries.
- Andromeda - Season 5 and The Slipstream Collection
- The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1, Disc 1
- The Brady Bunch - Season 1, Disc 1
- CSI - Season 1, Disc 1
- Forever Knight - Trilogy Part 3
- Frasier - Season 1, Disc 1
- Gimme A Break - Season 2 (Canada)
- The Greatest American Hero - Collector's Tin
- Medium - Season 2
- Penn & Teller's Bullshit - Season 3 Uncensored
- Return to the Planet of the Apes - Complete Series
- South Park - The Hits, Vol. 1
- Stargate SG-1 - Season 9 Slimset
- Three's Company - Season 8
- Tom and Jerry Tales - Vol. 1
- The Twilight Zone - The Complete Definitive Collection
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Predictions: Which Two Dancers Will Leave the Top 16?
- 'True Detective' Recap: Everyone's on the Run for Their Lives as a Detective Bites the Dust
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Jared and Jade Become Hot Commodities
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: King James Makes a Big Move
- 'Falling Skies' Interviews: The Finale Is 'Pretty Wild' and 'It's Not an Unhappy Ending'
- More From BuddyTV
- Baby Daddy Season Finale Sneak Peek: A Reba Reunion Goes Horribly Wrong
- Hollywood Game Night Sneak Peek: Art Imitates... Yvette Nicole Brown?
- Castle Season 8: [Spoiler] Will Return in a 'Surprising' Way
- True Detective Recap: Up in Flames
- Food Network Star Recap: No Country for Bold Ramen
- More From TVLine
- 'Housewives Happy Hour' With 'Orange County' Star Heather Dubrow: Champagne, Collette and Cursing!
- Mark Consuelos Reacts to Justin Bieber's Big Crush on His Wife Kelly Ripa
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Burial: Family, Friends and Fans Gather to Say Goodbye to Whitney Houston's Daughter
- Eminem Says He Replaced Pill Addiction With Working Out After Ballooning to 230 Pounds
- Demi Lovato Admits She Was Once 'Super Jealous' of Miley Cyrus
- More From ET