Not that I can judge. I'm TV addict who writes for TV Squad. But I sometimes wonder if it all really matters. Is anyone listening to any of us? And more importantly, do we have any influence on the television world at large with our opinions and criticisms?
As a devoted TV addict, I headed out last week to cover the New York Television Festival (NYTVF) and listened in on a panel discussion which looked at the explosion of blogs and TV fan sites and questioned their impact (if any) on the industry.
In the deal, site founders Tara Ariano and Sara D. Bunting will remain on board as editors, and the site's other co-founder, lead designer and community engineer David T. Cole (who is Ariano's husband) will stay on as a manager of media technology production. The site will be part of the growing number of sites under the Bravo banner, including Brilliant But Cancelled, OutZoneTV.com, and getTrio.com. Ariano's side project, Fametracker.com, was also acquired.
According to Sepinwall, the founders told reporters on a conference call that they will retain full editorial control, which (for now) puts questions of their objectivity to rest. In other words, if they want to eviscerate Top Chef, they're still free to do so. FYI, they also told reporters that the recent closing of a TWoP message board thread on The Real Housewives of Orange County, a Bravo show, was merely a coincidence.
I've gotta say that I like how Greg Garcia and company did this. They didn't monopolize the forum, but they just used it once to coincide with a show where they were giving the website a shout-out.
Everything you need to know about the web site Television Without Pity - and why I hate it so much - can be found in the subtitle of their new book. It's called Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love To Hate (And Hate To Love) About Television.
Why does it have to be like that? Why do they either have to "love to hate" or "hate to love" what they see on television? Is it not "hip" to really like television? I've long suspected that these people don't really like TV, they just find it a convenient place to use all of their snarky tools and be sarcastic. Of course, that doesn't mean that a book about television, even from them, couldn't hold some promise. But reading through the damn thing, this is what I found out about TWoP's view of television.
- Alex of Buzzer says: "Are you one of the people that bitches about how mindless "Deal or No Deal" is. Well, Howie agrees with you, but he still thinks it's great."
- From TeeVee: "CBS is still not the network of the young and hip. More like the middle-aged and not terribly interesting."
- Maggie of Too Much Free Time writes about "This week on Battlestar Galactica 90210".
- On Television Without Pity: "Oh joyous be! For it is the return of Marissa's sister Kaitlin, here to create more drama and force all the characters to the sidelines once more!"
- From Yeeeah!: "The hallucenogenic effects of television boardroom power have clearly gone to Donald Trump's hamster-pelted head"
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- The 30 Best Auditions of 'American Idol' Season 14
- 'The Biggest Loser' Season 16: Before and After Photos
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of 'Always the Bridesmaid'
- [Video] 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Trailer: Who Will Rule the Seven Kingdoms?
- More From BuddyTV
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Photos: Cersei Schemes, Tyrion Lurks, Arya Arrives, New Faces Emerge
- Parenthood Deleted Scenes Show Seth's Return, Sarah's Roast and More
- Lewis and Clark: HBO Greenlights Miniseries Starring Casey Affleck
- Celebrity Apprentice Sneak Peek: Does Kenya Moore Call Vivica A. Fox Fat?
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Nashville, Supergirl, Castle, Flash, Supernatural, Forever, Grey's, NCIS, Jane and More!
- More From TVLine
- The Top 7 Super Bowl Halftime Moments
- 3 Easy Steps to Fresh-Faced Beauty like Halle Berry, Sarah Hyland & More
- Miranda Lambert Reigns Supreme With 8 ACM Awards Nominations
- Watch This Amazing Weatherman Keep Cool While A Map Malfunction Shows Apocalyptic Temperatures
- Duggar Cousin Confesses She Was Born Out of Wedlock
- More From ET