November 21, 2014
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best ?Bones? Quotes from 'The Puzzler in the Pit'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Fade Into You'
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of 'Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve'
- 'Castle' Episode 7.9 Photos: Castle Investigates the Death of his Favorite Action Hero
- 'Gotham' Interview: Sean Pertwee and EP on Alfred the 'Enabler' and the 'Crumbling' City
- More From BuddyTV
- Marry Me Promotes Dan Bucatinsky
- Tina Fey's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Comedy Series Moves to Netflix
- MTV's Eye Candy: Victoria Justice's Stalker Speaks in First Official Teaser
- Sleepy Hollow Fall Finale Photos: Abbie, Ichabod & the Gang Prep for War
- Glee Wedding Scoop: Which Two Couples Are Saying 'I Do' in Season 6?
- More From TVLine
- Christian Bale Takes You Behind the Scenes of 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'
- Billy Gilman Talks Coming Out in Country Music, Support from LeAnn Rimes and Lucy Hale
- 'Once Upon a Time's Jennifer Morrison Talks Heartless Hook, the 'Worst' Spell Ever and More!
- Get Reese's Super-Feminine Look for Your Thanksgiving Gathering
- This Woman's Impressions of Celebrities Stuck in Traffic are Dead-On
- More From ET