August 31, 2014
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 10 Power of Veto?
- September 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Extant' Episode 10 Photos: It's a New World
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 6 Photos: Brooks & Tasos Arrive to Mix Things Up
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Rock the Wedding'
- More From BuddyTV
- Outlander Recap: I Love It When a Clan Comes Together
- Downton Abbey: First Season 5 Trailer Features Surprise Hookups, Raging Infernos, Exposed Secrets
- Looking Finds Season 2 Gigs for Crossbones Co-Star, Late Night Comic
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Teen Wolf, True Blood, Finding Carter and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Anna Paquin
- More From TVLine