December 17, 2014
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Items: JAG Vet to Scorpion, Amy Adams' SNL Promos and More
- Covert Affairs Finale Sneak Peek: Can Calder Keep Auggie Safe?
- The Goldbergs Enlists Charlie Sheen to Reprise His Ferris Bueller Role
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Once, NCIS, The 100, Vampire Diaries, Gotham, Bones, H50, Castle and More
- Glee Season 6: Puck, Sam, Santana Get Promo Pics — But What About Tina?
- More From TVLine
- Madonna Compares Album Leak to 'Rape' and 'Terrorism'
- Demi Lovato: The 'Revolutionary' Kim Kardashian Helped Me Accept My Body
- This 'Star Wars' Themed Light Show Sets the Bar for All Future Christmas Light Shows
- Jim Bob Duggar Dismisses Change.org Petition: 'They Won't Succeed'
- Anna Kendrick Makes David Letterman Blush with Furry Sex Toys and Ambien Stories
- More From ET