May 26, 2015
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Former Bunhead Emma Dumont Talks Coming of Age in NBC's Aquarius
- Ratings: Battle Creek Flat With Series Finale, NASCAR Dominates Night
- American Horror Story: Hotel's Latest Guest: New Girl's Max Greenfield
- Once's Merlin, Empire's Own Iggy, Arrow's Darhk Foe and 26 More Homes for Stars of Cancelled Shows
- GoT Recap: Royally Screwed
- More From TVLine
- Carrie Underwood Celebrates 10th Anniversary of Her 'American Idol' Win with Flashback Photo
- Celebrities in Their Underwear
- Demi Moore and Rumer Willis Are 'Twinning'!
- Josh Groban on his Nerd Bond with Girlfriend Kat Dennings: We Talk About Monty Python
- Katy Perry Says She Hasn't Heard from Russell Brand Since He Texted About Divorcing
- More From ET