March 10, 2014
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Believe': J.J. Abrams and Alfonso Cuaron create families under fantastical circumstances
- 'Dallas': AnnaLynne McCord honors 'the good ol' South'
- 'Cosmos': Watch President Barack Obama's video introduction
- 'True Detective' Season 2 will be about 'hard women' and will 'keep being strange'
- 'Raising Hope' canceled, series finale set for April
- More From Zap2it
- Cable Ratings: True Detective Finale Draws Record Crowd; Plus Lindsay's Premiere Numbers
- Exclusive Twisted Sneak Peek: Danny Makes a Surprising Confession About Vikram's Death
- Pilot News: Psych's James Roday Joins CBS Relationship Comedy Good Session
- Raising Hope Cancelled, to End Its Run in April
- TVLine Items: Drop Dead Diva's Season 6 Trailer, Veep Sneak Peek, Entourage Reunites and More
- More From TVLine