July 28, 2015
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: A Happy Couple and a Broken Heart
- Meet the Designers of 'Project Runway' Season 14
- 'Becoming Us' Recap: Carly Undergoes Surgery
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11 Finale Recap: Who Does Kaitlyn Choose?
- 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' Recap: Vicki Gives Meghan the Third Degree
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The Bachelorette': Kaitlyn Bristowe's Stunning Finale Looks
- Bachelor/Bachelorette Final Couples
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Death: Nick Gordon 'Has Suffered Greatly,' His Mother Says
- 'The Bachelorette' Finale: Did Kaitlyn Bristowe Pick Shawn Booth or Nick Viall?
- Leah Still Challenges Riley Curry to the Most Adorable Dance-Off Ever
- More From ET