April 23, 2014
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Originals': 15 Shocking Moments from 'An Unblinking Death'
- USA Sets Summer Premiere Dates for 'Suits,' 'Graceland,' 'Covert Affairs' and More
- 'RHOA': Phaedra Parks Talks About Her Marriage Issues and Reunion Drama
- [Video] 'Arrow' Sneak Peek: Is Roy a Lost Cause?
- Best 'Glee' Quotes from 'Opening Night'
- More From BuddyTV
- Exclusive Reign First Look: Francis, Mary and Catherine Get a Nasty Surprise
- Parks and Rec's Amy Poehler & Mike Schur on the Season Finale ('Big Things Happen'), Baby Mania
- May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series' Season-Ending Episodes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg to Host Final Saturday Night Live Episodes of the Season
- Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. and Voice Slip, Supernatural and About a Boy Rise, Glee Ties Low
- More From TVLine