April 17, 2014
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Orphan Black Preview: Season 2 Brings 'Character Shocks,' New Players and… a Traitorous Felix?
- What to Watch Thursday: Scandal and 3 Other Finales, Vikings Set Sail, Parks and Rec and More
- American Idol: Top 6 Week Theme Revealed!
- American Idol Top 7 Performance Recap: Filler Queen [Updated]
- Arrow's Truths Come Out — Were You Surprised?
- More From TVLine
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Abusing Teen Boy
- 'Real Housewives Of Atlanta' Star Porsha Williams Charged With Battery
- Real-Life 'Heaven Is For Real' Boy Details Near-Death Experience
- Will Arnett Files For Divorce From Amy Poehler
- FIRST LOOK: ET's 'Dream It … Do It' Helps Stars Take On Their Bucket Lists
- More From ET