July 7, 2015
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Is the Twin Twist Exposed?
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Searches for Tracy While the Ladies Get a Chance to Shine
- 'The Whispers' Recap: Drill's Secrets are Revealed
- 'Becoming Us' Recap: Does Carly Steal Sutton's Thunder?
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kaitlyn's Secret and Shawn's Jealous Rage
- More From BuddyTV
- The Simpsons: Harry Shearer to Return After Reaching New Deal
- Scandal: Cornelius Smith Jr. Returning as a Series Regular in Season 5
- Netflix Sets Dates for Idris Elba's Beasts, Ridiculous Adam Sandler Flick
- USA Renews Chrisley Knows Best for Season 4 — Exclusive Sneak Peek
- Ratings: Island Hits Low With Finale, SYTYCD and Bachelorette Rise
- More From TVLine