April 26, 2015
USA original series
by Rich Keller, posted Apr 14th 2010 3:11PM
A while back, while announcing the season premieres for 'Burn Notice' and 'Royal Pains', I briefly mentioned the reason why these original USA network programs, as well as their other offerings, work so well. As I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just the focus on characters and the mix of comedy and drama that made these shows click with audiences. There was more to it. In fact, three more 'its' to make a TV Squad list. How's that for ironic!
So, if you'll indulge me for a moment, here are the five things that make USA network shows resonate with viewers.
1. Actual character-driven shows -- When USA uses the tag line "Characters Welcome" they aren't kidding. Every original program since 'Monk' has been character driven. They haven't relied on special effects, or musicals, or unanswered questions that, when answered, produced more unanswered questions. It's characters that drive the shows and move them forward.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Reign' Episode 2.20 and 2.21 Photos: Mary Questions Everything After a Bittersweet Discovery
- 'Bones' Episode 10.16 Photos: The 206th Episode Will Name All 206 Bones in the Body
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.22 Photos: The Team is Surprised to Discover Gibbs' New Friend
- 'Orphan Black' Postmortem: Co-Creators on [Spoiler's] Death, Team Hendrix's 'Suburban Madness' and More
- 'Orphan Black' Recap: Everyone Wants the Original Samples
- More From BuddyTV
- The Best Zingers From Cecily Strong's White House Correspondents' Dinner Speech
- 'Luther the Anger Translator' Assists Obama at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Bruce Jenner's Family Show Their Support on Social Media
- Star Sightings April 2015
- Internal Investigation Into Brian Williams Finds At Least 11 More Reporting 'Embellishments'
- More From ET