March 5, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The 100' Season 2 Finale Photos: Will the Mountain Men Win?
- 'iZombie' Series Premiere Photos: How to Live Like a Zombie
- 'American Idol' Live Blog: Top 8 Girls Sing, 4 Go Home
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 8 Guys Performance Rankings
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 20 Official Couples Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot Scoop: ABC Drama Broad Squad Recruits True Blood's Rutina Wesley
- American Idol Top 12 Theme Revealed!
- Alec Baldwin to Play the Mayor of NYC in New HBO Series
- The 100 Season Finale Pics: Can Clarke Save Her People from Mount Weather?
- Scandal: Dan Bucatinsky, Kate Burton Returning Later This Season
- More From TVLine
- Harrison Ford Hospitalized After Crashing Plane
- 'Long Island Medium's' Theresa Caputo Tests Her Paranormal Expertise With ET's Pop Quiz!
- Star Shots: What's On Instagram?
- Why Robert Pattinson and FKA Twigs Are the Most Underrated Couple in Hollywood
- RIP Maxis: 9 Life Lessons We Learned From 'The Sims'
- More From ET