March 31, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ?The Voice? Season 8: Top 20 Performance Rankings from the Knockout Rounds
- 'Hell's Kitchen' Prediction: Who Will Go Home in Week 5?
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.20 Photos: Tony and Zoe Partner Up for a Case
- 'Better Call Saul' Recap: Chuck's True Colors Are Revealed
- 'Castle' Recap: A Talent Show for the Ages
- More From BuddyTV
- Sutton Foster Talks Playing Younger, Bunheads''Devastating' Final Bow
- Ratings: DWTS and Castle Tick Up; Scorpion, The Voice, Night Shift Slip
- Cougar Town: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons With the Cul-de-Sac Crew
- Last Man on Earth Bloopers: Bovine Bodily Functions, Will Forte Phones It In
- More From TVLine
- Olivia Wilde on Her Perfect Post-Baby Body: 'I'm Softer Than I've Ever Been'
- EXCLUSIVE! 'Vikings': Ragnar and Floki Aren't on the Same Page After Dramatic Death
- Julianne Moore Dropped from Turkish Tourism Ad for 'Poor Acting'?!
- Ryan Reynolds Shows Off His 'Deadpool' Muscles with an Adorable Young Fan
- Scott Eastwood: ‘I Was Turned On' While Having Onscreen Sex
- More From ET