Well, this is sad news. 'The Fox Report With Shepard Smith' (weeknights, 7PM ET on FNC) is reporting that cops say they've found a body believed to be that of Andrew Koenig, best known for playing "Boner" on 'Growing Pains.'
Vancouver police and the actor's father, Walter Koenig (best known for playing Lt. Chekov on the original 'Star Trek,' have confirmed the news. Later, during an emotional press conference, Walter Koenig acknowledged, "My son took his own life." For more on the story, visit Popeater.com.
Vancouver police released a statement earlier today that said a body was found in Stanley Park around noon that they believed was Koenig, the 41-year-old actor, activist and photographer who played Boner on the 80's sitcom 'Growing Pains'.
Andrew's mother, Judy, and father have just offered a public statement. Through the tears, they thanked the people who reached out to the family and urged people who think they are suffering from depression to seek help through their friends and family.
The parents of Andrew Koenig, best known for playing Richard "Boner" Stabone on the television series 'Growing Pains', walked off the set of 'Larry King Live' when their segment was interrupted by a breaking news story. Andrew's father is Walter Koenig, who is best known for playing the character of Pavel Chekov on the original 'Star Trek' series (and is only slightly less known for playing the evil telepath Alfred Bester on 'Babylon 5').If I were the parents of a missing child, no matter what age, and I was invited to a major news program to plead for his safe return only to have the segment delayed, I'd be pissed off too. It's tough to blame the Koenigs for their behavior, particularly with a missing child. CNN should have rescheduled or at least pre-taped the segment like they did with Andrew's sister. It seems like Larry is getting a little insensitive in his old age.
Apparently, they were all set to appear on 'Larry King Live' (weeknights, 9PM ET on CNN), but abruptly left the studio without explanation.
You have to wonder if they received information at the last minute that they couldn't talk about. Or maybe they're just too distraught to talk about it. Either way, it's all very sad, and we hope Andrew turns up safe and sound.
Watch the video after the jump.
Television has given us a large catalog of super-cool names to choose from. Since TV is all about wish fulfillment, it's rare for a character to be given a truly terrible name. Sometimes, though, a terrible name slips through the network sieve and luckily for all of us, TV Squad is there to catch it. The five worst names in the history of television after the jump...
Joel interviewed George Takei earlier this year, and they talked about the New Voyages episode he is doing. That episode, titled "World Enough And Time", begins filming this month. It will follow "To Serve All My Days", which stars Walter Koenig, reprising his role as Pavel Chekov. Other notable casting announcements include Michael Mack, who played Commander Sirol in "The Pegasus" episode of ST:TNG, and Leslie Silva. You may remember Leslie from Showtime's short lived Odyssey 5 where she played Sarah Forbes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'America's Got Talent' Recap: Welcome to Judgment Week
- 'The Real Housewives of New York City' Season 6 Finale Recap: Aviva Loses Her Head and Her Leg
- 'Chasing Life' Recap: Bylines and Goodbyes
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Season 2 Cast Photos
- 'Under the Dome': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Revelation'
- More From BuddyTV
- Pretty Little Liars Recap: One Flew Into the Cuckoo's Nest
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey's, Supernatural, P'hood, Flash, Scandal, Bones, NCIS and More
- Regina King Joins American Crime Drama, Books Big Bang Encore
- Anthony Hopkins Boards J.J. Abrams' HBO Sci-Fi Pilot Westworld
- The Mindy Project Season 3: Cheers Vet Rhea Perlman to Play Danny's Mother
- More From TVLine
- Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego Expecting First Child (REPORT)
- Naya Rivera Marries Ryan Dorsey In Surprise Wedding
- Snoop Dogg: I Smoked Pot in a White House Bathroom
- Jimmy Fallon Makes a Workout Video with Dwayne Johnson
- Josh Hutcherson, Jena Malone Get Their Own 'Mockingjay' Motion Posters
- More From ET