Behind-the-Scenes Look at 'Hot In Cleveland' Proves Even Betty White Can't Always Keep a Straight Face (VIDEO)
This particular piece of salty dialogue called for White to say that her screen name was "Bender Over," and she lost it. With the cast assembled in directors chairs on set, Wendie Malick reminded White of that shoot. "That night when you did 'Bender Over,' you just could not hang on," she said. "You absolutely could not."
"Just like your book, it could make everyone feel sorry for your mum and ... and she gets all the attention," Elka told Emmy. The bad Irish accent is because Emmy's old nanny was Irish, and Elka was trying to play the part. She did it well enough to convince Emmy to change her mind, and she declared she would cancel the book deal. And the movie deal, the one where the producers wanted Emmy and Victoria to play themselves.
"When I go home to my little village, I feel very glamorous," said Leeves. "And then sometimes I'll walk out in Los Angeles thinking, 'I'm looking good today.' Then you're out five minutes and you see all these gorgeous 20-year-olds."
Well, the Emmy-winning actress is about to get even hotter -- her new TV Land sitcom, 'Hot in Cleveland,' premieres June 16.
Valerie Bertinelli, Wendie Malick and Jane Leeves play three women from Los Angeles who get stuck in the Ohio city, then decide to stay when they realize the locals think they're hot. White plays the caretaker of the home in which they rent and share. According to Variety, the show -- which is produced by Sean Hayes and penned by 'Frasier' writer Suzanne Martin -- will run for 10 episodes throughout the summer.
The legendary Betty White plays the brassy, one-liner-prone owner of the property that the ladies rent. The show will begin airing this June.
After doing radio and summer stock back in the 1940s, White's big break came as the "telephone girl" on a live, local Los Angeles show, 'Hollywood on Television,' hosted by popular DJ Al Jarvis. With all honors to Lucille Ball and 'I Love Lucy,' that gig led to the creation of one of the first female-driven sitcoms, 'Life with Elizabeth.' The TV skies were the limit from there.
This review is for the Canadian DVD release, which has season 1 (6 episodes) and season 2 (22 episodes). The American version only includes the first season (though the American release does have two things missing from the Canadian version: an interview with Susan Saint James and writer Bill Persky, and a gag reel).
Kate & Allie is one of my favorite shows. Yeah, I know, what's a 41 year-old guy doing loving some show about two divorced women raising their families together? The show was not only well-written and cast (Susan Saint James, Jane Curtin, Allison Smith, Ari Meyers, and Fred Koehler), but it had a lot of smart things to say about family, relationships, and living in New York City (the show was one of the few sitcoms actually filmed in New York, at the Ed Sullivan Theater).
Wendie Malick, of Just Shoot Me and Jake in Progress, has been cast in the ABC comedy pilot, A Day in the Life. The show is about a young couple's wedding day, from different points of view (I imagine it'll have to advance past the wedding day). Malick plays the mother of the bride.
Other casting news:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Penny Dreadful' Season 2 Finale Recap: Vanessa Faces Evelyn for the Final Time
- 'True Detective' Recap: Is Velcoro Alive or Dead?
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: 2 Female HoHs and 2 Female Targets
- The 3 Biggest Differences Between 'True Detective' Season 1 and Season 2
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Where Does Everyone Stand in Week 2?
- More From BuddyTV
- Penny Dreadful Season Finale Recap: Blood, Threat and Tears
- Food Network Star Recap: A Thin Line Between Love and Hate
- True Detective Recap: Faking It
- Fall TV: Good Wife vs. Don Johnson, and Sunday's Other DVR Dilemmas
- Quotes of the Week From Teen Wolf, Complications, Rookie Blue and More!
- More From TVLine
- Couple Alert? Khloe Kardashian Celebrates Fourth of July with James Harden
- Miss USA Still Looking for a New Host
- Margot Robbie Rocks 'Suicide Squad' Costume, Celebrates B-Day with Harley Quinn Cake
- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: Inside Vanessa Williams' Stunningly Classy Wedding
- U.S. Women's National Soccer Team Wins Record-Setting Third World Cup, America Rejoices!
- More From ET