Doctor Who fans can once again rejoice. Episodes of the classic series are now available on YouTube. These are officially sanctioned by the BBC, so there's no piracy in this instance.
In this case, it's a selection of a single episode from four of the ten existing Doctors. There is The Edge of Destruction with William Hartnell, The Krotons with Patrick Troughton, Carnival of Monsters with Jon Pertwee and The Caves of Androzani and The Twin Dilemma with Peter Davison and Colin Baker, respectively.
Classic episodes have been available online before. Netflix had a few in their library for subscribers. This is the first instance I recall in which the episodes are available to anybody in the world at any time.
I note that a bunch of the available stories are written by the fantastic Doctor Who scribe Robert Holmes. This guarantees quality writing to compensate for the poor special effects of the era. Enjoy!
Doctor Who wasn't created by an individual. Rather, it was created by committee which included Sydney Newman, who was Head of Drama of the BBC at the time. As a result, the show is owned out-and-out by the BBC and no individual gets any royalties for the fundamental show (although individuals are credited with the creation of certain alien villains, such as the Daleks).
Concepts such as regeneration and Gallifrey were added later by various writers (even the Doctor's nemesis The Master was created by a group of writers for the show's 8th season). It's interesting how the memos between BBC executive describe him as an amnesiac from the future. That concept was obviously abandoned later.
It's a wonderful history lesson and gives some insight into a circumstance where television executives actually create something lasting and meaningful.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Season 8: Top 8 Performance Rankings
- 'Castle' Recap: Castle and Alexis Team Up to Catch a Killer
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.21 Photos: Oliver Joins the League of Assassins
- 'The Originals' Recap: Dahlia Offers Klaus a Deal
- 'The Voice' Recap: Gwen, Usher and Cee Lo Return to Advise the Top 8
- More From BuddyTV
- Meet G.E.M.: The Chinese Pop Star About to Take Over America
- Mariah Carey on 'Infinity' Lyrics: 'I Leave That Open for the Fans to Interpret'
- Amanda Seyfried Plays a Pot-Smoking Lawyer in 'Ted 2' Red Band Trailer
- Secret Celebrity Marriages Gallery
- Nicki Minaj Performed at a Bar Mitzvah for the Luckiest 13-Year-Old Boy in the World
- More From ET