Rumors hit the web that Lawless, who can next be seen in Starz's 'Spartacus: Vengeance,' had been arrested following a boot-throwing incident at the Occupy Oakland earlier this week. Twitter and Tumblr users quickly spread word that on Nov. 2 that Lawless had been apprehended after hurling a boot at a police officer. Those tweets and blog posts got shared, and thus an Internet rumor was born.
Fifteen years ago, the world was introduced to a television treasure: 'Xena: Warrior Princess.' Yes, 'Xena' is a treasure, because despite what some people may think, despite its over-the-top cheesecake factor and despite its blatant disregard for history, it was a gem of a TV show. Plus, it introduced us to Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor.
'Xena' was a trailblazer. 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer,' 'Alias' and even newer shows such as 'Covert Affairs' and the new 'Nikita' remake owe a certain something to the beloved Warrior Princess. The series helped reshape the leading lady on TV for good, and for that reason alone, we as an audience should be eternally grateful.
Lawless reported that she was not actually pinched by any men: "I was there for gay pride; it didn't happen." She did express her disappointment that there was not an equivalent march in Italy for gay women. "All this for fabulousness for gay men ... but nothing for the women," she said.
You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Me, I figured that there were three panels that could be put in what I call the "Comic-Con group": Spartacus on Starz, and Doctor Who and Being Human on BBC America. These shows got extensive showcases in San Diego over the weekend, and there wasn't many details revealed in any of these panels that you wouldn't have heard over the din at SDCC. So I'm going to go over the three of them in brief after the jump.
Let me give you a good teaser: If you were on the fence about seeing Spartacus, the prospect of a naked Lucy Lawless may convince you.
'24' has been named the most addictive TV show of all-time. See the full list while the clock is still ticking [Telegraph]
The votes are in: See who is America's most trusted newscaster, post-Walter Cronkite [Time]
Amidst Paula Abdul's latest media firestorm, PopEater wonders: Who could possibly fill her 'Idol' throne? (Our vote: anyone but Kara DioGuardi) [PopEater]
In case you missed it: See the hilarious Tracy Morgan talk Emmys on 'Letterman' [YouTube]
'The Jay Leno Show' is getting a jump-start on its Sept. 14 premiere. Check out the official website [NBC]
The American Bar Association recently voted on the best legal shows ever. Get the verdict (No 'Ally McBeal'? We object!) [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
In the battle of the deadliest fantasy warrior, who wins: Buffy or Xena? [Torch Online]
'Lost' fans determined to solve the show's mysteries may have just found a new way to get schooled [Lost University]
We loved Melissa and Ade's emotional dance on 'So You Think You Can Dance.' But was it overpraised? [PopWatch]
Should TV remakes bring back characters from the original? [Buzz Sugar]
Wow, "syndicated adventure series." Whatever happened to all of those cheesy syndicated adventure shows that used to dot the television landscape? There used to be dozens of them on the weekends and late at night. Sitcoms too. There aren't too many of them anymore, replaced by reality, home improvement, court shows, and talk shows, or not replaced at all.
It's taken a couple years, as we first posted about the series in August 2006, but Sam Raimi's adaptation of the Terry Goodkind books will finally be beaming into our televisions the weekend of November 1, 2008. That's about as specific as anyone can be, because this is a syndicated series. We'll all have to check our local listings. The good news though, is that Disney-ABC says they have cleared the show in 95% of the country.
The press release mentions that Raimi and his partners, Rob Tapert, Joshua Donen, Ned Nalle, and Kenneth Biller are the team behind Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Why they continue to excise Cleopatra 2525 from that list remains a mystery to me.
The series will kick off with a two-hour premiere and Raimi describes it by saying, "The amazing characters and heartfelt story, combined with the captivating backdrop of New Zealand, will have viewers on the edge of their seats." I'm pretty much in the bag for anything Raimi is involved in, so I'll be watching. Wizard's First Rule could be that something to watch on Saturday night we're all looking for.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- You'll always remember where you were when you heard the news: Miss USA may be dethroned.
- The downside of being A-list: Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller were both denied guest roles on 24.
- Just like Dustin Diamond will always be Screech to me, Lucy Lawless will always be Xena. But she's trying to turn her new love of singing into a career in music.
The video's embedded after the jump below, or you can download the file directly (Quicktime required). You can also subscribe to this vodcast via our feed.
Xena star Lucy Lawless, who has been busy lately battling locusts and vampires, wants a movie to happen, but at the same time she says that it's "a big fat pain in the ass" because nobody agrees on who owns the rights to the show.
And we're talking about a big screen movie, not a TV movie. Hey, if Firefly can come back to life on the big screen...
[via TV Tattle]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 15 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2015
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Woman in the Whirlpool'
- 'The Whispers' Season Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'UnREAL' Cast Photos: Meet the Bachelor, Contestants and Production Folks from 'Everlasting'
- [Video] 'Pretty Little Liars' Preview: New Suspect Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Married Parents Cast, Oil Renamed, GH's New Dillon and More
- HBO's Clarence Thomas Movie Casts Greg Kinnear (as Biden), J-Hud, Others
- Gotham Season 2: Chris Chalk Upped to Series Regular, as Lucius Fox
- Ash vs. Evil Dead: Ash Revs Up His Chainsaw in 'Groovy' Teaser Video
- Empire Sets Season 2 Premiere Date
- More From TVLine
- Sister Donates Her Dead Brother's Face to a Disfigured Man and Then Meets Him
- This Woman Said if She Raised $10K, She Would Force Herself to See the 'Entourage' Movie
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Step Out Together Amid Divorce Rumors
- This Is the Life! Beyonce Shares Italian Family Vacation Pics With Blue Ivy & Jay Z
- The National Spelling Bee Ends in a Tie Again!
- More From ET