a christmas story
- TBS is running A Christmas Story all day.
- FX has Night at the Museum all day.
- AMC is showing National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation all day.
- Hallmark has Christmas TV movies all day.
- Nickelodeon has Christmas episodes all day, including iCarly, Fairly OddParents, True Jackson, VP, and Drake & Josh.
- BBC America has Christmas episodes all day, including Gavin & Stacey and Absolutely Fabulous.
- At 6AM, Cartoon Network and Boomerang start an all-day marathon of Christmas cartoons and specials.
- At 8, MTV2 has a Real World: Cancun marathon.
- At 8:30, Comedy Central has A Colbert Christmas.
- At 9, Discovery has a Mythbusters marathon.
- Spike has a Bad Santa marathon at 9.
- At 9:30, Lifetime has Christmas episodes of various shows, including Frasier, Reba, and Will & Grace, as well as Christmas movies.
Yes, yes, Flick is still going to get his tongue stuck to the flagpole, Mr. Parker is still gonna get way too excited about the leg lamp and Ralphie's still gonna wish for that "official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time." And, 'fess up, you're still going to catch at least one of two of the 12-consecutive airings TBS unspools in this 24-hour marathon of the holiday movie classic, which celebrated its 25th anniversary last year. Bonus fun: Check out the animated re-enacted of the movie - as performed by bunnies - at AngryAlien.com (http://www.angryalien.com/aa/xmas_storybuns.asp).
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Sunday, December 20, 8 pm, CBC
The moving story of one man who overcomes his disappointing Christmas bonus and finds the true meaning of Christmas - namely exploding septic tanks, flying rodents, extremely dry turkey and the talents of the young Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Who among us hasn't also experienced these bittersweet holiday delights?
We're in the middle of December now and we're all watching our favorite Christmas movies or animated specials (either on TV or via DVD), so I thought I'd ask which is your favorite. (I know, I didn't include every single Christmas special ever made, but that's why God created the word "other").
|It's A Wonderful Life||167 (12.9%)|
|Miracle on 34th Street||72 (5.5%)|
|Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer||111 (8.6%)|
|Santa Claus is Comin' To town||16 (1.2%)|
|A Christmas Story||271 (20.9%)|
|The Year Without A Santa Claus||37 (2.9%)|
|White Christmas||71 (5.5%)|
|A Christmas Carol (any version)||90 (6.9%)|
|Frosty The Snowman||11 (0.8%)|
|How The Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)||236 (18.2%)|
|A Charlie Brown Christmas||216 (16.6%)|
Look at this beautiful image from the movie. That's Johnny and Baby in the lake, practicing jumps for their big dance number. Doesn't it just scream "CHRISTMAS" to you?
- HGTV and Food Network have holiday programming all day.
- TNT is showing Law and Order all day.
- TBS is showing the movie A Christmas Story all day.
- Nickelodeon and TV Land have Christmas episodes of various sitcoms and dramas all day.
- BBC America also has Christmas episodes all day long.
- At 7am, all of the morning shows (Today, Good Morning, America, and The Early Show) will have Christmas features, music, and recipes.
- At 8, Lifetime has a Golden Girls marathon.
- Sci-Fi has a Star Trek: TNG marathon at 8.
- Bravo has a Christmas episode of The West Wing at 8, then a Top Chef marathon.
- TBS has A Christmas Story all night.
- At 8, NBC has It's A Wonderful Life.
- The CW has The Flight Before Christmas at 8, followed by The Story of Santa Claus.
- ABC Family has the live action How the Grinch Stole Christmas at 8.
- Comedy Central has two Christmas episodes of Futurama at 8, then several Christmas episodes of South Park.
- FOX News Channel has A Fox and Friends Christmas at 8.
- Also at 8: Disney has The Santa Clause 2.
- At 8:40, BBC America has a new Catherine Tate Christmas episode, followed by an Absolutely Fabulous Christmas special.
- At 9, Lifetime has the movie The Christmas Shoes.
- TruTV has a new Most Shocking at 9, then two new episodes of World's Wildest Vacation Videos.
- Hallmark has the movie The Most Wonderful Time of the Year at 9.
- Nickelodeon has two Christmas episodes of Home Improvement at 9.
- Showtime has a new Inside The NFL at 9.
- At 10, Travel Channel has a new Man vs. Food.
- At 11, Lifetime has two Christmas episodes of Will & Grace, followed by two Christmas episodes of Frasier.
- At 11:30, CBS and NBC has Christmas Eve Mass and music.
- At 1am, ABC has Christmas Eve Mass and music also.
Check your local TV listings for more.
(Most of the late night talk shows are pre-empted or repeats tonight, except Charlie Rose.)
- I don't have anything against Ali Larter as an actress, but I really hate her character(s) on Heroes,. It doesn't look like I'll like her character in Obsessed much more.
- Sure, there's 24 hours of A Christmas Story, but how about a fireside viewing of L.A. Confidential instead? Cinematical Seven takes a look at unconventional holiday movies.
- I really wanted the mysterious new Will Smith movie, Seven Pounds, to be good. Unfortunately, it does not look like I'll be getting my wish. Read Cinematical's review here.
- Want to be a part of the filming of Funny People, Judd Apatow's next movie? Cinematical tells you how to live the dream.
- Have you ever wondered what Star Wars would look like as a silent film? No? Well, some guy did. Check out a fan-made Star Wars silent movie.
A Christmas Story is right up there with A Charlie Brown Christmas, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, and Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer as a TV staple every holiday season. TNT even devotes an entire day to showing the movie over and over again.
Bob Clark, the director of the movie, was killed earlier this morning in a car crash on the Pacific Coast Highway in California. Also killed in the crash was his 22 year-old son. Their car was hit head-on by a man that police have arrested for drunk driving.
Or, a better question would be: are you watching any television? Christmas Day can be a busy time, what with gifts being opened, dinners being cooked (and eaten) and annoying relatives to entertain (this does not pertain to Joel, who is coming down to visit today). For others, though, Christmas ends at the last present that's unwrapped, which can lead to a very long, boring day.
So, if you can't take the kids, the wife, or the annoying relatives (once again, not Joel, I swear) you can tune into the annual broadcast of the Walt Disney World Christmas Parade (filmed at the beginning of December) hosted by Regis Philbin, Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest and featuring Beyonce, the cast of High School Musical and the Doodlebops. If that's too much Christmas then you may want to tune into CNN for a, ready, Larry King Live marathon. Other non-Christmas marathons are Crossing Jordan on A&E, My Super Sweet 16 on MTV (they played music videos once, didn't they?), In Living Color on BET, and Super Millionaire on GSN.
Of course, if you are still in the holiday spirit (or, in the holiday spirits, if you know what I mean) TBS airs their annual 24-hour marathon of the classic holiday movie A Christmas Story, while networks like Hallmark and Lifetime will air a variety of made-for-TV holiday movies. Then again, if none of this is of interest you can always pop in a DVD from the complete The West Wing set that you received.
Oh, and Joel, dinner is at 2:00 pm.
- At 7, CBS has 60 Minutes.
- NBC has a new Football Night In America at 7, followed by It's A Wonderful Life.
- Lifetime has All She Wants For Christmas at 7, followed by Holiday Wishes.
- ABC Family has Frosty's Winter Wonderland at 7, then 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, The Year Without A Santa Claus and Rudolph's Shiny New Year.
- There's an Xmas episode of The Honeymooners on American Life at 7.
- Nickelodeon and Food Network are running holiday programming all night.
- AMC is running Miracle on 34th Street all night.
- TBS has A Christmas Story all day and night.
- Nickelodeon is showing Xmas eps of many shows, including Fairly Odd Parents, Full House, and The Cosby Show.
- TV Land is doing the same, with The Andy Griffith Show, Three's Company, Little House on the Prairie, Good Times, All in the Family, and others.
- Also: Hallmark has various holiday movies all night.
- At 9, CBS has A Very Married Christmas.
- Comedy Central has Bad Santa at 9.
- At 10:30, TCM has Christmas In Connecticut.
- At 11:30, ABC, CBS, and NBC have Christmas Eve services from Rome and other places around the world.
Here are some of the notables:
- A Charlie Brown Christmas, ABC, Tuesday Nov. 28 at 8 pm;
- Polar Express, ABC, Friday December 1 at 8 pm;
- Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, ABC, Tuesday December 5 at 8 pm;
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, CBS, Friday December 8 at 8 pm;
- Frosty the Snowman, CBS, Friday December 8 at 9 pm;
- Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey version), ABC, Saturday December 9 at 9 pm;
- Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated version), ABC, Tuesday December 12 at 8 pm;
- It's a Wonderful Life, NBC, Saturday December 16 at 8 pm;
- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, TBS, Sunday December 17 at 8 pm;
- A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart version), TNT, Wednesday December 20 at 8 pm;
- A Christmas Story (24-hour marathon), TBS, Sunday December 24 at 8 pm;
- Yule Log, INHD, Monday December 25 at 7 am.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Quantico' Episode 5 Photos: The Trainees Go Undercover for the First Time
- 'Scandal' Episode 5.4 Photos: Fixing Olivia's Image Problem
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Teams Become Gauchos in Argentina
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.5 Photos: Who Can Asher Trust?
- [Video] 'Teen Wolf' at New York Comic Con: Who's Returning, What the Beast Is, Conflict Between Scott and Stiles and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Shia LaBeouf Arrested in Texas for Public Intoxication
- Why Vin Diesel Is Serious About Stunts
- Calista Flockhart Can't Get Over the 'Supergirl' Buzz
- Gigi Hadid and Mom Yolanda Foster Adorably Hold Hands While in NYC With Joe Jonas, Bella Hadid and The Weeknd
- Watch Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson 'Hit the Quan' in Flawless Dance Video
- More From ET