a few minutes with andy rooney
This isn't a new stance by Rooney. He's been saying the same thing for years. Rooney just turned 91 years old so he's earned the right to repeat things if he wants. But I know that Rooney has talked about this before because, well, I've actually read what Rooney has written over the years. Most people who dislike Rooney know him for only one thing, his weekly segments on '60 Minutes.'
But the guy has been a journalist since World War II and has written several books and a weekly column for decades, but the people who find him "unfunny" or "irrelevant" only know him from the CBS show.
Here are a few samples of his work on 60 Minutes over the years. Happy Birthday, Mr. Rooney.
On New Year's Eve:
Actually, the title 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit is inaccurate, since the book also has a few pieces from the early 1940s, when Rooney was a reporter in the Army. Rooney will be 91 in January, and he really has lived a great life. We should all be working and still lively when we're near that age.
There's a column being circulated around the globe via e-mail that was supposedly written by 60 Minutes essayist Andy Rooney. It lists a bunch of things that are pretty much anti-minority (I haven't gotten the e-mail myself, I've only read news reports about it. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get it). The only problem? Rooney didn't write it.
This isn't the first time that this has happened. In his new book, Out of My Mind, he talks about a column about women that was being circulated via e-mail. It had his name on it but he didn't write that one either. He talks about this e-mail hoax in the book too, so this has been going on for a couple of years. The same thing happened to George Carlin (Carlin even put something on his web site telling fans he didn't write it). I guess anything can happen in this age of anonymous e-mails and web sites.
[via TV Newser]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Top 48 Acts of 'America's Got Talent' Season 9
- Comic-Con 2014 Photos: The Cast of 'Under the Dome' in Pedicabs and Rachelle Lefevre Goes Blonde
- 'Penny Dreadful' at Comic-Con 2014: Season 2 Explores Ethan and a New Threat
- 'Big Brother 16' Recap: Donny vs. Brittany in the Week 4 Eviction
- 'Hell's Kitchen' Season 12 Finale Recap: The Winner Is...
- More From BuddyTV
- Sharknado 2's Ian Ziering Promises Jaw-Dropping OMG Moments, While Tara Reid... Wants to Party
- Penny Dreadful Men Field Burning Questions, Tease Season 2 'Bang-Fest'
- Hannibal @ Comic-Con: A Huge Return, Much Gillian Anderson and (Hopefully) Clarice Feed the Thriller's Future
- Reign Stars Preview Hands-On King Francis, Mary's Struggle, Shagging, Hugging and... a Rambo-Style Finale?
- Scorpion Stars Talk the Genius' Weakness, Terminator-as-Lou Grant — Plus: Kat McPhee Sings for Us
- More From TVLine