Season 6 ended with Gibson's character Hotch helping "bury" Prentiss (Paget Brewster). However, she's still very alive -- something the team isn't aware of -- and Brewster and A.J. Cook will rejoin the cast full-time for Season 7 (Wed., Sept. 21, 9PM ET on CBS). All that deception comes back to bite Hotch, Gibson said.
"The sh-- sort of hits the fan because they're back in some ways," Gibson said about Brewster and Cook's return to the series. "Paget, as far as the rest of the team is concerned, we had lost her. There's some good stuff to play as a result of everybody getting back together, which is cool."
It wasn't just the fans who are excited to have Brewster and Cook back on the show -- Gibson said the cast is psyched too.
"It feels like a family reunion -- everybody is in the right place," Gibson said.
According to Deadline, Cook will guest star in this season's finale before rejoining the cast as a series regular.
"JJ's back! Just signed 2 year deal," the actress said on her Twitter account. "Excited to work with cast and crew again. Thanks to all of you!"
She was reportedly offered a chance to return after producers came up with new stories for her character, Jennifer "JJ" Jareau. Her return also coincides with the departure of executive producers and co-showrunners Ed Bernero and Simon Mirren.
After being let go from the series, Cook will return to the CBS drama for one episode this spring.
According to TVLine, Cook will return to set this week.
Fans mounted online campaigns in support of Cook and her character, J.J., but the only result was a two-episode swan song earlier this season.
UPDATE: Cook took to Twitter to confirm the news. She's returning for Paget Brewster's final episode of the CBS series.
In other casting news ...
• 'Little Fockers' star Teri Polo has landed a TV role in ABC's 'Man Up!', a comedy about what it's like to live as a modern man. She'll play a "super-mom who is addicted to Facebook." She also scored the lead in the Hallmark movie 'A Taste of Romance.' [Deadline Hollywood]
• Chris Messina has joined the cast of DirecTV's 'Damages.' The 'Julie & Julia' actor will play a former soldier friend of Ellen Parsons who is recruited to work for a shadowy private security firm in Afghanistan. [Entertainment Weekly]
• Jane Lynch and Kiefer Sutherland will lend their voices to episodes in season 23 of 'The Simpsons.' Lynch will play Homer's new assistant -- who then takes his job. Sutherland will play a very Jack Bauer–esque character who heads to Springfield to escape his enemies. [TV Guide]
According to TV Guide, the fired 'Criminal Minds' star will play the lesbian lover of the daughter of Jeremy Irons' character. While fans may be used to seeing Cook bust criminals, on 'SVU' she'll be playing the victim.
"A lot of people love A.J.," 'SVU' executive producer Neal Baer told TV Guide. "So we asked, 'How about coming and starring opposite Jeremy Irons?'"
Oscar-winner Irons will play Dr. Cap Jackson, a sex therapist who runs a sex rehab center. Cook will play OBGYN Debbie Shields and, according to Baer, "her character is brutally attacked."
In other TV news ...
• Michael Gambon has joined the cast of HBO's 'Luck.' The veteran actor will play a foil to Dustin Hoffman's character, Ace Bernstein. Patrick J. Adams, who plays the lead role in USA Network's pilot 'A Legal Mind,' has also been added to the horse-racing drama's cast. [Deadline Hollywood]
• Kelsey Grammer doesn't watch 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.' The 'Frasier' star appears on the series alongside his soon-to-be-ex-wife Camille, but he and his current squeeze have kept their distance from the show. [Us Weekly]
• 'Twilight' producer Temple Hill has signed a two-year deal with ABC Studios. The production company will first tackle a contemporary retelling of 'The Count of Monte Cristo.' [Deadline Hollywood]
Actress A.J. Cook was cut from the show (her character Jennifer "JJ" Jareau was transferred to work at the Pentagon against her wishes), while actress Paget Brewster, who plays Emily Prentiss, will appear in fewer episodes this season, causing a great deal of fan backlash and even criticism from the cast. And last week it was announced that 'Criminal Minds' showrunner Ed Bernero will also take over as showrunner for the January spin-off 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour,' starring Forest Whitaker and Janeane Garofalo.
'Criminal Minds' continues to be the most watched show on Wednesdays, but ratings have been down by about one or two million per week compared to the same period last year. And of course questions about the show's future linger.
Two primary thoughts about the start of 'Criminal Minds' Season 6 last night: First up, this was by far the most dramatic, moving episode since last year's chilling Reaper-Hotch showdown (the show's greatest episode ever), an exceptional feat for a procedural-driven series entering its sixth season.
Second, why does JJ have to go? It was downright criminal (pardon the all too obvious pun) that A.J. Cook was forced out, particularly after the terrific performance she gave in this, one of the show's best episodes in recent years.
Following news that CBS had chosen not to renew Cook's contract, and had reduced the number of episodes Brewster was to appear in, disgruntled fans mounted an online petition to save the actresses' roles.
Writing on Twitter over the weekend, Brewster expressed her gratitude to the more than 40,000 people who had signed the petition. "Thank you for helping and supporting me and AJ," she said. "I am immensely grateful. I'm still angry about AJ. I'm sad this is my last year."
And Cook tweeted to fans: "Thanks for your undying support but it's a done deal."
EW.com reports that 'Criminal Minds' producers have opted not to renew the contract of cast member A.J. Cook for the show's upcoming sixth season, because of budgetary reasons. No word yet on whether or not Cook will return long enough to wrap up her storyline; the actress plays FBI BAU Supervisory Special Agent Jennifer "JJ" Jareau, the 'Minds' team's liaison with the media and local law enforcement agencies, who has a son with her policeman boyfriend William LaMontagne.
So last night at 9PM, everyone in the country was watching either the Lost season finale or another exciting elimination on American Idol. Or were they? Is there anyone out there who doesn't watch Lost or AI and actually tuned into Criminal Minds instead, even if it didn't guest star Alex O'Loughlin this week?
(S03E19) Talk about ending a season in an explosive way!
In the past three years, this week's episode was probably the second episode of Criminal Minds that I watched in its entirety. It's not a bad show but I just can't watch everything that airs on TV. However, since I stop watching any American Idol season after Hollywood Week, so I wasn't going to watch the finale, and because my usual Wednesdays at 9 PM shows were done for the season, I tuned in to CBS and watched the BAU at work.
There have been a lot of stories floating around about Mandy Patinkin's departure from CBS' Criminal Minds. That he's only going to be in one scene of the show to wrap up his storyline, that his costars didn't like him. Turns out neither of those stories are true.
Co-star A.J. Cook says that Patinkin has actually been phoning all of his Criminal Minds castmates and explaining to them what happened. Cook says that the cast didn't know what was going on, and now that they know they "just want him to be happy."
And who should Chandler have ended up with? No, not Janice! He should have ended up with Kathy, played by Paget Brewster. They were great together, and that was one of the best seasons of the show. Brewster is joining the hit CBS show Criminal Minds as a regular (she'll play a new profiler).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Empire First Look: Adam Rodriguez Enters Cookie's Lair
- Video: Jessica Jones Gets Some Air
- Nashville Sneak Peek: Deacon and Scarlett Face Their Toughest Decision
- Ratings: Minority Report Eyes Bleak Future After Second Straight Drop-Off
- Finding Carter: Will Jackson Rathbone's Jared Come Between Carter and Crash?
- More From TVLine
- 'iZombie' Scoop: 6 Appe-Teasers You Need to Devour Before Tuning Into Season 2!
- Sandra Bullock: Having a Child 'Forces You to Get Your Sh*t Together'
- Caleb Logan Bratayley's Parents Reveal 13-Year-Old YouTube Star Died of 'Undetected Medical Condition'
- Kim Zolciak Says She'll Be Back to Perform on 'Dancing With the Stars' Finale
- Cate Blanchett Decided to Marry Her Husband After 3 Days Together
- More From ET