We all have our opinions on what we'd like to see on television, and what we don't want to see. And now Salon has a two-part series where they asked several writers and other folks to come up with their fantasy television series. Included are such people as Phil Rosenthal (creator/producer of Everybody Loves Raymond), Mark Cuban, writer Megham Daum, Aaron Shure (writer on Lucky Louie), and ex-Men's Health, Maxim UK, and Stuff editor Greg Gutfield.
Most of the writers took it as a creative writing exercise, so many of the shows are more jokes than actual ideas. I don't really get Daum's idea about a show involving a ferret and laser tag, and John Darnielle (lead singer of The Mountain Goats) wants to see more boxing on TV.
Mark Cuban wants a reality show starring Dennis Rodman. Ugh.
You know whose essay I agreed with the most? James Frey's. Yup, that's James Frey of Million Little Pieces and Oprah fame. He wants to see a return of the old-fashioned private eye show we don't see on TV anymore, like Magnum, P.I., The Rockford Files, and Mike Hammer. I'd love to see that happen. Either that, or a variety show hosted by Amy Sedaris. All Amy, all the time!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TV's Best New Characters of 2013
- 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' Battle: 'American Idol' vs. 'The Voice'
- 'The Voice' Top 5 Predictions: Which 3 Singers Are in the Finale?
- 'Real Housewives' Roundup: Brandi's Apology, Porsha's Divorce and a New 'NYC' Season
- [VIDEO] 'NCIS' Sneak Peek: Gibbs and Fornell's Ex-Wife Asks for a Favor
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi's Doctor costume a mix of 'old-fashioned' and the future
- 'The Sing-Off': Meet The Princeton Footnotes, Season 4's first eliminated group
- 'Escaping the Prophet': Flora Jessop helps women escape polygamy
- 'Agents of SHIELD' episode 10 'The Bridge' clip shows Mike Peterson in action
- 'Doctor Who' Christmas special photos: Wooden Cybermen and the Doctor is a wizard?
- More From Zap2it
- Exclusive: Will & Grace Reunion on Sean Saves the World, Megan Mullally to Play Sean's [Spoiler]
- TVLine Items: Gossip Guy Is NBC's Tin Man, Mom Casts Dad, Happy Endings' New Home and More
- Exclusive Parenthood First Look: Crosby Drops Some Slutty-But-Soulful Knowledge on Drew
- Exclusive Sneak Peek: Bob Barker Marks His 90th Birthday With a Price Is Right First
- Ratings: The Voice Boosts The Sing-Off's Return, Almost Human Ticks Up But Sleepy Slips
- More From TVLine