We all have our opinions on what we'd like to see on television, and what we don't want to see. And now Salon has a two-part series where they asked several writers and other folks to come up with their fantasy television series. Included are such people as Phil Rosenthal (creator/producer of Everybody Loves Raymond), Mark Cuban, writer Megham Daum, Aaron Shure (writer on Lucky Louie), and ex-Men's Health, Maxim UK, and Stuff editor Greg Gutfield.
Most of the writers took it as a creative writing exercise, so many of the shows are more jokes than actual ideas. I don't really get Daum's idea about a show involving a ferret and laser tag, and John Darnielle (lead singer of The Mountain Goats) wants to see more boxing on TV.
Mark Cuban wants a reality show starring Dennis Rodman. Ugh.
You know whose essay I agreed with the most? James Frey's. Yup, that's James Frey of Million Little Pieces and Oprah fame. He wants to see a return of the old-fashioned private eye show we don't see on TV anymore, like Magnum, P.I., The Rockford Files, and Mike Hammer. I'd love to see that happen. Either that, or a variety show hosted by Amy Sedaris. All Amy, all the time!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scandal': 15 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'We Do Not Touch the First Ladies'
- 'Reign': 25 Moments of Mary, Marie and Marriage from 'The Consummation'
- Best 'Suits' Quotes from 'Buried Secrets'
- 'Bones' Episode 9.17 Photos: Time to Welcome a New Squintern!
- 'Justified' Season 5 Episode Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Suits' Season 3: Big changes for Rachel and Louis revealed by Meghan Markle and Rick Hoffman
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi leaving after 1 season?
- TV ratings: 'Big Bang Theory' rises Thursday but 'Scandal' and 'Grey's Anatomy' fall
- 'Castle' Season 6 photos: Ninjas attack!
- 'Arrow' and 'The Flash': Crossovers are 'always on the table'
- More From Zap2it
- Did Glee Dis Artie? Why'd Castle Spoil a Twist? Are We to 'Ship Dead's Daryl/Beth? And More Qs!
- Exclusive Bones Clip: Booth, Brennan Squabble About Insurance (It's Funnier Than It Sounds)
- Pilot Scoop: Katie Holmes to Star in ABC's Dangerous Liaisons-esque High Society Drama
- Supernatural First Look: A Bloodthirsty Crowley Returns, Plus: Why Is Snooki Here?
- Mad Men Releases Trippy Season 7 Poster
- More From TVLine