Based on a Huffington Post blog post by television writer Tracy McMillan titled 'Why You're Not Married,' the single-camera comedy will explore the dating habits of women seeking true love, men fleeing commitment, and other types familiar to anyone who ticks the "Single" box on their W4's, reports Deadline.
McMillan's piece -- posted in February -- became HuffPost's second-most-read blog entry ever, with 2.9 million views. The post also stirred up a bit of controversy, ending up as a talking point on CNN after critics thought it was too harsh on women.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the veteran actor, who's had a hand in several seminal TV series, including 'The O.C.' (as problem-plagued pop, Jimmy Copper) and 'Friends' (as real-life ex Jennifer Aniston's crush, Josh-u-a), has been tapped to star in an ABC pilot called 'No Ordinary Family.'
The show stars 'Shield' and 'Fantastic Four' vet Michael Chiklis as the head of a super-powered family. Benz will co-star as Chiklis' wife, a sexy scientist who develops super speed (the power, not the drug).
Despite the drab title, 'No Ordinary Family' is shaping up to be a must-see. Chiklis and Benz are two of TV's top actors, and the pilot is the brainchild of producer Greg Berlanti, a guy who knows a thing or two about creating compelling family drama (see 'Everwood', 'Dirty Sexy Money', 'Brothers & Sisters').
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the network has ordered a pilot for 'Southern Discomfort,' a multicamera comedy written by novelist Chad Kultgen. Kultgen's first two books had strong sexual components, while his forthcoming novel, 'Children of Adults,' is said to explore the generation gap between modern children and their parents.
'Southern Discomfort' looks to explore similar themes, as it features a father who deals with the difficulties he faces when his grown kids move back home. Casting is currently under way. (Although, when we see a title like 'Southern Discomfort,' we can't help but think of the Blue Collar Comedy tour.)
I didn't set out to watch In Justice, and the last thing I need is another courtroom drama to love. But it was Sunday, all of my favorite shows were in re-runs or supplanted by tedious TV movies or double-length episodes of Extreme Makeover, my boys were all feverish, and I wanted to do nothing for a while. And so, I didn't change the channel from the very dull Desperate Housewives recap.
And look! There's Kyle MacLachlan, who last played Charlotte's impotent Scottish husband on Sex and the City. And hey! That's Constance Zimmer, who I finally identified as the only reason worth watching the insultingly awful Good Morning Miami. And the criminal who is so grateful to be taken in by the Justice Project - that's one of my faves, she played Sela Ward's sister on the fabulous and much-missed Once and Again. (And if you're still wondering where it is you've seen Marisol Nichols - she played Audrey Griswold on Vegas Vacation. *groan* She's still a hottie, though.)
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Kellie Pickler?s Winning ?Dancing with the Stars? Season in Review
- Zendaya's 'Dancing with the Stars' Season in Review
- Jacoby Jones' 'Dancing with the Stars' Season in Review
- Alexandra Raisman's 'Dancing with the Stars' Season in Review
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Season 3 Finale: 5 Burning Questions for Season 4
- More From BuddyTV
- Disney Channel pulls 'Jessie' episode after gluten-intolerance jokes spark controversy
- 'Dancing with the Stars' finale: Who won Season 16 - Kellie Pickler or Zendaya?
- 'Grimm' Season 2 finale: 'Goodnight, Sweet Grimm' sends a major character to his coffin
- 'The Voice' results: The Top 10 sheds two - Who went home?
- 'Dancing with the Stars' finale: Who landed in 4th place?
- More From Zap2it
- Dancing With the Stars Season 16 Finale: Did the Right Couple Win the Mirrorball Trophy?
- Grimm Post Mortem: David Giuntoli on Nick in a Box ('It's Going to Be Bad'), Wesen Sex and More
- Disney Channel Pulls Controversial Jessie Episode That Mocked Gluten Intolerance
- The Voice Top 10 Results Recap: Did the Right Two Contestants Go Home?
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Vampire Diaries, Nikita, Psych, Revenge, Covert Affairs and More!
- More From TVLine