(S01E05) I've always liked this particular episode because of the excellent acting of the late Leo McKern ("Rumpole of the Bailey") as the new Number 2. Although he is doing everything "by hook or by crook" to extract information from Number 6, he seems to be doing it with a twinkle in his eye, if that makes any sense. Plus he's got a very infectious laugh, even when he's scheming against Number 6.
This is a very taut episode--not a lot of extraneous material. It's a simple storyline of Number 2 wanting to find out why Number 6 resigned. Number 6 does say that it was "a matter of conscience," but that's not good enough for Number 2. In the meantime, we are introduced to Number 8, an attractive female spy from Estonia who is a new "resident" of the Village. Number 2 then "treats" Number 6 to view some of the tactics that are used to extract information from prisoners, and it's pretty rough stuff. In fact, Number 8, who happens to be an Olympic medal-winning swimmer, attempts to escape by swimming out to sea, but the ever-present Rover reels her back in.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Revenge' Episode 4.11 Photos: Will Grief Unite Emily and Victoria?
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of ?Mix and Match.com?
- Proof That Dunder Mifflin Had the Worst Office Christmas Parties Ever
- 5 Critically-Acclaimed, Award-Winning TV Shows That Are Absolutely Terrible
- 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Star Kyle Richards on Brandi Glanville: 'We Won't Be Friends Again'
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Bates' Peep Hole Promo, Broadchurch Return Bumped & More
- MasterChef Junior Season 3 Poster: Gordon Ramsay Serves Up a Pun!
- Outlander Stars Tease 'Epic Battle,' High Stakes for Jamie and Claire
- Why'd SNL Snub Sherlock? Was Once a Bit Sketchy? Did White Collar Call for a Pretty Cameo? And More TV Qs
- Christian Slater's Mr. Robot Gets Series Order at USA Network
- More From TVLine
- Beyonce, Ed Sheeran and Iggy Azalea: The Year in Music 2014
- 31 Facts You Didn't Know About Christmas
- The ‘OITNB' Ladies Sing Hilarious Prison-Themed '12 Days of Christmas'
- Stephen Colbert Becomes Immortal in Final Star-Studded 'Colbert Report'
- Kate Upton Named People's Sexiest Woman Alive
- More From ET