academy of motion picture arts and sciences
According to Deadline, producer Brett Ratner has just one name on his wish list this year -- Murphy's -- and is expected to present his top host choices to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences in a meeting on Tuesday.
Hathaway and Franco were universally panned for their performances as Oscar co-hosts last year -- her for being too peppy, him for being too blase -- so choosing a well-known, experienced comedian for the job could please the critics.
I could understand the concern. If someone sees an advertisement for the latest Adam Sandler flick, they could confuse it for an Academy Award nominee. The Academy has put some restrictions on the types of ads that can be used which will hopefully prevent such a mix-up. Sadly, these restrictions have only permitted for one studio advertisement so far: Disney-Pixar's Up.
It does seem a bit of a conflict of interest from getting advertising revenue from organizations to whom you are giving awards. At least Hollywood will not be confused for a society of principle. Studios big and small have always used their bank accounts and marketing campaigns to purchase an Academy Award nomination anyway. This just makes the process more obvious.
How do you feel about watching an Academy Awards broadcast with movie ads?
The Golden Globes (airing January 13) and Oscars (February 24) sought waivers to allow union writers to help put together their awards shows, but Reuters tells us that the WGA says it will deny those waivers. Show organizers say they will go on regardless. As for what to do for scribes, Leslie Unger, spokeswoman for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, said "There are any number of possible options we might explore" regarding what the Oscars intend.
One possibility is to hire non-union writers. How pissed would the WGA be if the reviews were great, the jokes actually funny and the telecast considered to be the best Academy Awards show ever! Another possibility, and I have no idea why this hasn't been explored seriously already, is the Family Guy manatee writers. South Park showed how prolific they were, and there are simply tons of lame award show jokes that could be written on balls and thrown in the tank. Or do you think they're members of the union, too?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- You're the Worst Finale Post Mortem: EP Talks Gretchen's Major Move, Downplays Lindsay's Big D
- Satisfaction Finale Post Mortem: EP Addresses Cliffhanger Concerns, Reveals Ideas for Season 2
- Rush Finale Recap: Very Bad Medicine
- TNT Orders 1970s-Set 'Cocaine' Pilot From Jerry Bruckheimer, Michael Bay
- Castle's Season 7 Premiere: 12 Teasers
- More From TVLine
- Gerard Depardieu Says He Can Drink Dozens Of Bottles Of Wine Each Day
- Madonna's Sexy Calendar Tease Raises A Number Of Confounding Questions
- 8 Reasons We Should've Known Iggy Azalea Was A Ghost All Along
- Could Melissa Rivers Bring a Lawsuit Against Joan's Doctors?
- Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea Bare Their 'Booty' – Finally!
- More From ET