Frankly, it's overdue. Action figures are usually reserved for kid's or cult movies and television shows, and Team Venture is definitely the later. In fact, other than the DVDs and a set of exclusive mail-order t-shirts, there really hasn't been that much supplementary merchandise for the show (and the midnight timeslot of the latest season doesn't help promotional matters).
One popular rumor regarding the merchandising delay is negotiations between Adult Swim and Doc Hammer, Jackson Publick and company over who gets what share of the loot. One can only hope that, if true, that issue has been resolved.
Admit it, you'll only be buying the figures in order to sleep with your very own Doctor Girlfriend. Or maybe that's just me.
To quote Yogurt: "MOICHendising!"'
That's "merchandising" -- it's difficult to affect that Yiddish accent in print. Anyway, the little green guy is right. You can't have a movie without product tie-ins, and it's no different for the upcoming Simpsons Movie. There will be a line of toys based on the movie out this Spring, and they're being created by McFarlane Toys, the company responsible for some of the coolest movie and TV-based toys in the last few years. Seriously, check out some of their other work.
This isn't the first time McFarlane has designed Simpsons toys. The pic on the right is for a new "Treehouse of Horror" set slated for a release later this year, along with this set featuring Homer and Lard Lad. Collectors, get ready to purchase one set you'll never take out of the package, and another set you can play with. Kids ten and under: take the toys outside and bury them in the ground and dig them up the next day. That's how I always played with my action figures. Sure, it means they're worthless now, but I'm one of those silly people who thinks toys should be played with.
Thanks to my pal Wild Bill for the tip.
With the holiday shopping season being a mere 38 days away, it's time to sit down and think about what you want to give out as gifts this year? Elmo TMX? Nah, they'll probably be sold out of those until the middle of 2007. The new Sony Playstation? Well, it's going to be so expensive that all of your friends will probably need to share it. Lost action figures? Come on, they don't make action figures from your favorite show.
Wrong, Mr. (or Mrs.) holiday consumer! The truth is that they do exist and will be coming to a store (or website) near you this fall, courtesy of McFarlane Toys. According to the website figures.com the company will release six fan-favorite characters from the first season. These include characters such as Charlie (pictured here and in Anna's post from August), Jack, Kate and Hurley. Future releases will feature characters like Sawyer, Jin, Walk (with Vincent his dog) and Boone.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Horror Story: Coven': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Head'
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'Three Ghosts'
- 'Nashville': 2 Jaw-Dropping and 12 Surprising Moments from 'Tomorrow Never Comes'
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Recap: Game Changer
- 'Project Runway All Stars' Recap: Red Carpet Realness
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Scandal' fall finale recap: The devil came in through 'A Door Marked Exit'
- 'The Michael J. Fox Show' Season 1, episode 11: Annie puts Sting into Mike's 'Christmas'
- 'Doctor Who' - 'The Time of the Doctor' spoilers: Nudity, Christmas dinner and the Doctor's fate
- 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' moves to Thursdays: Watch the Season 2 trailer
- 'The Vampire Diaries' fall finale: [SPOILER] breaks up while [SPOILER]'s days are numbered
- More From Zap2it
- Post Mortem: Scandal EP Breaks Down the Fall Finale's Big Twists — Including [Spoiler]'s Return
- Parenthood Recap: A Heartbreaking Twist, Forbidden Feelings and a Surprise Return
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Altar Egos
- The X Factor Season 3 Semifinal Results Recap: What Doesn't Kill You Makes a Fighter
- Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on 'Delena' Troubles, Katherine's Future and More
- More From TVLine