More comics, more anime and more sci-fi -- what more could a genre geek ask for? Last year's wraparound lineups and record-setting crowds finally persuaded the people behind Toronto's annual genre convention -- Fan Expo --to add an extra day. It now starts on Thursday instead of Friday, and runs from August 25 to 28.
Good thing too, since there are more high-profile guests and "one time only" events than there have ever been. Whether you're a fan of comics, sci-fi, horror, anime, gaming or all of the above, there is bound to be something for everyone.
Comic fans are in for some big announcements from Marvel and DC, and horror fans will get an exclusive screening of 'Near Dark,' the cult horror film from Best Director Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow. Plus, William Shatner returns to the big screen with documentary 'The Captains,' which features interviews with everyone who has ever piloted the Starship Enterprise.
This is just a taste of what's to come at this year's Fan Expo. For the true highlights of this year's convention, hit the jump.
The Addams Family is coming back. No, this times it's not a TV series, nor a motion picture. No, this time Broadway is taking Charles Addams' amazing dysfunctional gothic family and putting their antics to music. That's right, The Addams Family is becoming a Broadway musical.
One of the things that sounds really promising about the musical is the casting. The two leads seem perfect for their roles -- Nathan Lane as Gomez and Bebe Neuwirth as Morticia. They're both like cartoon characters already, and in that bizarro world, they should be right at home. Hams on parade ... with music! It sounds glorious.
I visited the pumpkin patch last weekend and totally massacred a 30 lb. pumpkin and feasted on its flesh, so I am officially in the Halloween spirit. Luckily, there's a crapload of TV to help sustain my ghoulish mood. TV Tango has compiled a pretty comprehensive list of Halloween-themed programming starting today and going through the rest of the month.
Some of the highlights include a Moonlight marathon starting today on SyFy, as part of their "31 Days of Halloween" programming. On Sunday, The Simpsons is airing their 20th "Treehouse of Horror" episode, while Monday has a some good kids' fare, with Halloween-themed America's Funniest Home Videos on ABC Family, and Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie on Disney.
Viewers were also into grittier fare like realistic cop dramas ('Ironside,' 'Adam-12') and war action series ('12 O'Clock High,' 'Combat!'), though there was plenty of classic sitcom fun on the airwaves, too, from 'The Andy Griffith Show' and 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' to 'Get Smart' and 'My Three Sons.'
Take a look at our picks of the decade's best and let us know if we got it right. -- By Kimberly Potts
Here's an interesting letter I got from a reader named Carla Lee.
"When i was a little girl, I lived in Ohio. There was this show called the uncle al show. I was on one of the weekly shows. Do you know how i can get info on this. I would like to see it if possible. thanks "I, personally, had never heard of The Uncle Al Show, but I did a little research and found out that it aired on the ABC affiliate, WCPO in Cincinnati.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- 7th Heaven - Season 4
- The Addams Family - Vol. 2
- Family Affair - Season 3
- The Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes - Vol. 1
- Full House - Season 6
- The Jeffersons - Season 6
- Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman - Vol. 1
- The New Adventures of He-Man - Vol. 2
- One Foot in the Grave - Seasons 1 and 2
- The Shield - Season 5
- Sonic The Hedgehog - Complete Series
- Touched by an Angel - Season 4, Vol. 2
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? - UK Version - Seasons 1 and 2
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 16 Most Blood-Tingling Hookups from 'True Blood'
- 'Under the Dome' Comic-Con 2014 Spoilers: More Death, a Killer Revealed and Escaping the Dome
- '24' at Comic-Con 2014: Issues with Shooting in London, An Alternate Ending and a Movie Update
- ?So You Think You Can Dance? Season 11: Top 16 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Got Talent' Recap: Next Stop...Radio City Music Hall!
- More From BuddyTV
- Scandal's 'Randy' Season 4 Premiere Title: What Could It Possibly Mean?
- Legend of Korra Is Moving Online, But 'There Is Definitely a Book 4'
- Freak Show Adds All My Children Alum
- TVLine Items: Mayim's Candid, Conan Is Beheaded, Big Bang Status and More
- Ratings: Fresh Talent Boosts Taxi, Big Brother and SYTYCD Rise, Extant Falls
- More From TVLine
- Watch 'Big Brother' Star Frankie Grande Get the News His Grandpa Died
- Daniel Radcliffe on Losing His Virginity: I Had a Really Good First Time
- Lana Del Rey: 'I've Slept With a Lot of Guys in the Industry'
- Dwayne Johnson Reveals His Hilarious Secret For Getting Ripped For 'Hercules'
- Justin Bieber Teases 11 New Songs On Instagram
- More From ET