Gervais is teaming with former 'Dexter' showrunner Clyde Phillips for 'Afterlife,' a new comedy about an atheist who dies and goes to heaven. There, he'll meet God, played by Gervais.
Here's how Gervais -- with his typical sense of humor -- described his celestial character in a blog post on his website: "But he's a slightly different God to the one you may have seen in 'Bruce Almighty' and other Hollywood films. He's an arrogant, wisecracking son of a bitch, who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. (So another stretch for me as an actor then.)"
According to Entertainment Weekly, the new series follows an atheist who dies and goes to heaven.
The duo are working on writing the pilot episode now with plans to film it in early 2012. Gervais is set to make a cameo in the pilot.
Gervais' new comedy, 'Life's Too Short,' starring Warwick Davis, is heading to HBO. The comedy is starting on BBC Two later in 2011 and will make its HBO debut in 2012.
More precisely, you can learn about Hell on the History Channel tonight at 8pm by watching Hell: The Devil's Domain. Forgive my morbidity, but I'm endlessly fascinated by the idea of Hell in all its various forms: from the Biblical version to Dante's Inferno to the Greek myth of Hades. All those demons and damned souls always put an extra little spring in my step. I'm sick and I need help, I know.
Also picked up by SciFi:
- Who wants to be a Superhero?, a reality series that follows Stan Lee as he puts contestants through challenges to help them find their super strength;
- Medium at Large, a reality series that features psychic Char Margolis;
- The Gift, reality series that follows people in boot camp for intuitives;
- The Bridge, a comedy-drama about a group of cynical souls trapped in purgatory and the good deeds they must do to get out.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Orphan Black Season 2 Premiere Recap: Fishy Business — Plus: Grade the Episode!
- Ratings: Hannibal Rises, Shark Tank and Kitchen Nightmares Slip, Hart of Dixie Steady
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Awkward, Shameless, Crisis, Mindy and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black Returns, a Devious Premiere, Salem and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Jack Gleeson
- More From TVLine