american idol results
Some fans may be mystified that DeWyze took the crown as the next 'Idol,' especially after his performances Tuesday night, where he often sang out of tune, looked uncomfortable onstage and mustered only a negligible amount of energy. Bowersox, on the other hand, did everything right and sounded terrific. And yet, DeWyze garnered the popular vote and emerged victorious.
Watch the reveal after the jump.
No doubt, James is pretty to look at and plays a mean guitar, but our biggest criticism is that he has a real problem connecting emotionally with his songs and the audience. And, while his voice is adequate enough, he's got an odd, trilling vibrato that leaves us cold. Voters, it seems, had their own issues with James as they voted him off over Bowersox and DeWyze Wednesday night.
Watch Casey's elimination after the jump.
Ryan Seacrest started off the show with "Prepare yourself for a surprise or two," and we definitely got that. Based on your comments on my 'Who Will Win 'American Idol'? post a few days ago, it's really anyone's game at this point. And I mean, anyone, from the shoe-ins like Crystal Bowersox and Siobhan Magnus to the dark horses like Tim Urban and Andrew Garcia. After this week's performance show, Kona thinks Casey James also falls into that dark horse category, and I agree.
After a message about Idol Gives Back, a group medley of Lennon/McCartney tunes, and a Ford commercial (kaleidoscope fun!), we got to the results.
This news doesn't seem to be a change 'Idol' has had planned for very long. The last we heard from FOX, the entire Top 24 was set to be revealed on Wednesday, February 17. So what's behind the change? Perhaps the folks behind 'Idol' sense that the audience is getting audition fatigue, and we want some more action. Maybe they want to keep the momentum going from Ellen DeGeneres' debut last week.
The dark horse surged ahead at the last minute to win it in a photo finish.
With almost 100 million votes tallied, Kris Allen defeated front-runner and judges' favorite Adam Lambert to become the 'American Idol' season 8 winner.
Click to read the full story!
It was a little eerie to hear all the shouts for joy when Sanjaya's name was announced as the one to leave Idol this week -- even though I felt just as glad as the audience sounded.
And, while I was happy to see him go, I ran into him backstage on Wednesday, and that stripped away all the dehumanizing effects TV watching had on me. I felt a little guilty about being so happy and felt empathetic for the media blast he's got to face.
It's easy to look at the characters we see on TV and pick them apart, and sometimes we forget that that person is real. Well, in reality TV anyway. I'd forgotten until the other night when I saw the on-staff psychologist. Directly after you get the boot, you have an immediate counseling session. Poor guy -- he's gonna carry some scars around for a while.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Teen Wolf' Quotes from 'Fireflies'
- 'True Blood': 16 Shocking Moments from 'Who are You, Really?'
- 'Big Brother 15' Spoilers: The Front of the House and a Possible Twist
- The 15 Best Dramas of the 2012-2013 TV Season
- 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' Recap: Gretchen Finds Herself Out in the Cold
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The Bachelorette': Bryden has doubts; Hurricane Sandy couple brings James and Dez closer
- 'The Voice' recap: The Top 3 take the stage one last time
- John Hurt infected with 'The Strain,' joins Guillermo del Toro's FX pilot
- 'Suits' Season 3 premiere photos: Does 'Game of Thrones' bring more conflict?
- 'The Borgias' series finale: Francois Arnaud on Cesare and Lucrezia Borgia 'going for it'
- More From Zap2it
- Mistresses Recap: Yikes! Someone Actually Said, 'The Worst Is Over'
- Report: The Client List Renewal Held Up By Backstage Debate Over Baby-Daddy Drama
- The Voice Season 4 'Live Finals' Recap: Who Should (and Will) Win It All?
- FX's The Strain Pilot Adds Merlin's John Hurt
- TVLine Items: Showtime's Sexy New Trailer, Another Lost Reunion Hits Hawaii and More!
- More From TVLine