Umm, no... Just kidding. (Dude! That's mean.) But he then described a Ron Burgundy rendition with even more appeal: a Broadway musical, with the film's original cast.
"Sort of as the Marx brothers did their stage show, we would develop bits and things within the show. And then at the end of the Broadway run, we would go shoot a movie," said Carell.
They're all "down with it," but director Adam McKay and Will Ferrell "can't seem to connect with whatever they need to do." Maybe everyone's waiting to see how 'Elf' does on the Great White Way.
As much as there have been movies about the theater and movies about movies, the films that have been made about television are some of the best ever. This year alone, there are two movies nominated for Best Picture of the year by the Academy Awards that are all about television -- Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon. Without TV, neither of these films would exist. Looking back, here are the films about TV that set the standards by which Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon are measured.
But not all publicity is bad publicity. In some cases, it's revived the careers of celebrities who flopped out of the spotlight like so much unsupervised fish. Rick Astley wouldn't have had the chance to perform during the last Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade if the Internet hadn't turned his ear-drum-grinding song into an ear-drum-grinding Internet prank. Chuck Norris wouldn't have become a born-again celebrity, columnist, and media pundit without a certain web site making him sound like he could kick God's ass unless God has Chuck Norris' fists.
Now another blogger has another target in their sights, giving an overlooked celebrity who is on TV just about every night the rare chance to swing the spotlight on them with a simple pull of the trigger. And it's not NBC Nightly News' Brian Williams. It's NBC Nightly News' Brian Williams' ties, thanks to high school English teacher Nancy Donnelly and her popular blog, the Brian Williams Tie Report.
Breitbart.tv has posted what might be one of the best on-air bust-ups of all time: a minivan crashing into the studio of Chicago's ABC affiliate, WLS, during a live broadcast. The video after the jump...
I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for blooper shows. The ones from sitcoms and dramas where the actors screw up are OK, but the great ones are from news broadcasts, because not only are the shows live, but they're supposed to be very straightforward and serious most of the time. You can see some sort of minor blooper on almost every news broadcast, but the ones here at AOL TV aren't minor. Like the newsanchor that has a tooth fall out of his mouth while live on the air, or the college weatherman who is incredibly nervous and gives one of the worst weather forecasts you'll ever see. Or the guy who tries to stuff a dollar bill down the cleavage of a reporter and the massive slips of the tongue on a live show. And then there's something everyone will like, the prank caller who manages to get on Nancy Grace's show and call her something we'd all like to call her.
Oh, and the next time you're watching your local news, and you think that the meteorologist or the anchorperson is lame or silly, remember this weatherman from the Charlotte, NC TV station (second video down). Wow. (He was eventually fired after rehab and now works at KREX-TV in Denver.)
What was so funny about the video was that Tony Snow was playing lead flute... just like Ron Burgundy on Anchorman (Keith and I said it out loud at virtually the same time). Unfortunately, the video is not up on YouTube. Not yet, anyway.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' Finale Recap: Vegas vs. Nashville
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: The Wedding of Tyrion Lannister
- 'True Blood' Beginnings: Everything You Need to Know About Alcide Herveaux
- 'Doctor Who' Season 7 Finale Recap: The Tomb of the Doctor
- Summer Cookout: Recipes from Our Favorite Cooking Shows
- More From BuddyTV
- Miguel slams woman's head into stage during Billboard Music Awards performance
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Taylor Swift wins Artist of the Year
- 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' winner: Trace Adkins or Penn Jillette, who took home the prize?
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Full winners list
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Prince was an Icon before he got the award
- More From Zap2it
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Recognizing the Good, the Bad and The Biebs
- Game of Thrones Recap: Wedding-Bell Booze
- BBC Renews Doctor Who for Season 8
- Hot for Summer! Your Guide to 125 Upcoming Premiere and Finale Dates
- Ben Affleck Hosts Saturday Night Live: What Were the Best and Worst Sketches?
- More From TVLine