When you hear the name of Barney Fife, deputy sheriff on the classic The Andy Griffith Show, what comes to mind? Well, he was smug and self-confident, over-analytical, overzealous, and a bit of a blowhard. But how about eloquent, intense and heartwarming? No, you say? Well, you'd be wrong, because there was one particular episode where he was just that, all in defense of his partner Sheriff Andy Taylor.
Jump ahead and I'll tell you all about it.
I was going to say that "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" about this roundup of the best TV show DVD sets that The Onion's AV Club has up today. But then I took a look at a couple of the sets they picked (and the many that they left out) and I want to change my line to "this is a rather stupid column."
First off, they have the balls to say that the fourth season of NewsRadio is the best the show ever had. Um, are they crazy? The season that they had Dave and Lisa switch jobs? The season they had that new young guy come on the show? The year that Khandi Alexander left? That's ridiculous. The third season is the best season of NewsRadio.
They also picked "Man In A Hurry" as the best Andy Griffith Show episode? A fine episode, but the best in the whole series? Bah.
And where is The Dick Van Dyke Show? Those are damn good sets.
All right everybody, get those crappy ties and self-made cards ready. It's time once again for the forgotten holiday known as Father's Day. Yes, the bastard cousin to the extremely popular Mother's Day. The one that people forget is the third Sunday in the month of June, not the second. The holiday where your loving family wants to fill your day with special events when all you really want to do is have some privacy to write your damn TV Squad articles!
Ahem. So, in the fine tradition of tomorrow's holiday, where you usually pay for your own dinner out, we present the five television dads who would be grateful if they received a wallet made out of dried macaroni.
Tomorrow evening TV Land will air an Andy Griffith Marathon in honor of the inimitable Don Knotts, who passed away recently at the age of 81. The marathon will begin at 8 p.m. EST. Don't worry, they haven't forgotten those of us who are a bit younger and remember Knotts as the perpetually unhip landlord Mr. Furley on Three's Company. The network will air a marathon including both the Andy Griffith Show and Three's Company throughout the entire weekend of March 4 and 5. I suppose enough about Don Knotts has been said already, but ever since his death I haven't been able to stop thinking about one of my favorite "Mr. Furley" moments, which involved the landlord in a game of strip poker. Not wanting to get naked in front of others, Furley comes to the game wearing several layers of winter clothes, including a cap, ear muffs, and a scarf. I've never seen any comedic actor who can make nervousness and apprehension as palpable as Don Knotts did.
[via Sitcoms Online]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Funniest Quotes from ?Big Brother 17? Week 10
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Are the Nominees from the Top 6?
- 'Project Runway' Season 14: Ranking the Looks of 'Gunn and Heid'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' First Impressions: Who Will Win Season 21?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 6 Cast: 'UnREAL' Star and More New Faces
- More From BuddyTV
- TNT to Release Public Morals' Entire First Season for Labor Day Weekend
- Arrow Season 4 Trailer Has Domestic Olicity, Damien Darhk, Constantine, Sara, Costume Changes and More
- Ratings: Mistresses Finale and Dome Hit Series Lows, Rookie Blue Rises
- TVLine Items: Castle Meets The O.C., Rob Riggle Gets Fresh and More
- Nashville's Chaley Rose to Return
- More From TVLine
- Mini-Darth Vader From Super Bowl Ad Gets Pacemaker Generator at 10 Years Old
- 11 Celebrities Who Totally Won the Summer in 2015
- Anna Faris Shares Son Jack's Potty Training Mishap on Twitter
- Alyssa Milano Says Ex-Boyfriend Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears Were 'Super in Love'
- 9 Celeb Couples Who Had Labor Day Weddings: From Ashlee & Evan to Sarah & Freddie!
- More From ET