February 27, 2015
andy whitfield death
by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 11th 2011 10:25PM
Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the first season of Starz's 'Spartacus,' passed away Sunday. The actor was 39.
"No words to express the depth of such a loss," 'Spartacus' creator Steven DeKnight said Sunday evening on Twitter. "You will be deeply missed, my brother."
According to a statement released to the AP by Whitfield's family, he died at home," on a sunny Sydney morning, in the "arms of his loving wife." His wife Vashti called him a "beautiful young warrior."
"He passed peacefully surrounded by love," said the statement from Vashti Whitfield. "Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor: The Women Tell All' Photos: Chris Soules Faces the Ladies
- 6 Reasons You're Going to Love 'Battle Creek'
- 'Star Trek' Legend Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83
- 'The Amazing Race' Prediction: Which Team Will Go Home Next?
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 12 Girls Performance Rankings
- More From BuddyTV
- Teen Wolf Season 5: Shelley Hennig on Stalia 'Changes,' New Faces and More
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Poster: Daenerys' Dragons Are Coming!
- Pilot Scoop: Craig Ferguson to Lord Over ABC Comedy The King of 7B
- Once Upon a Time's Lana Parrilla Talks Regina's Clash With Team Evil, a 'Cool' Resurrection, Losing Robin and More
- Killing Jesus First Look: Jesus' Crucifixion Recreated for NatGeo
- More From TVLine
- 'Once Upon A Time' Spring Premiere: We Answer 22 of Your Most Burning Questions!
- 13 Reasons Leonard Nimoy Was Even More Amazing Than You Knew
- Remembering Leonard Nimoy: President Obama and Celebs React to the 'Star Trek' Star's Death
- Kelly Clarkson Can't Stop Hating on 'From Justin to Kelly'
- Leonard Nimoy, Spock of 'Star Trek,' Dead at 83
- More From ET