anthony stewart head
But there's no reason one bad project should banish '24' veteran Mary Lynn Rajskub or 'Flight of the Conchords' genius Rhys Darby from our TV screens -- or, perhaps worse, relegate them to one-off-guest-star obscurity.
To remedy this situation, AOL TV has some free advice for casting directors: together, we can find new homes for the undeserving victims of fall 2011.
Check out the gallery below, and tell us if you agree with our choices.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Depp will guest on the Ricky Gervais–produced 'Life's Too Short.'
'Life's Too Short' stars Warwick Davis as a dwarf who runs a talent agency for other dwarf stars. Gervais indicated other big name stars will stop by the sitcom, but Jerry Seinfeld will not.
In other casting news ...
• Ed Harris will play John McCain in HBO's 'Game Change.' The Oscar nominee will star opposite Julianne Moore (as Sarah Palin) in the TV movie from the men behind 'Recount.' [Entertainment Weekly]
• Eliza Dushku has joined Damon Wayans in a CBS comedy pilot. Dushku will play Casey, a radio sidekick to Damon Wayans' host character. [TVLine]
• 'Buffy' star Anthony Stewart Head has booked a role in NBC's 'Free Agents.' Head originated the role of cocky boss Stephen in the U.K. version of the series will reprise the role in the new pilot. [Hollywood Reporter]
Granted, there are a few pitfalls in the way. Creator Joss Whedon is busy with his series Dollhouse and his upcoming movie Cabin in the Woods. Plus there may be some confusion regarding the character if they get that Whedon-less Buffy movie made.
There is definitely still life left in the Buffy franchise (look at all the successful series and movies out there involving vampires with a female protagonist). I'm sorry Joss didn't use that Eliza Dushku contract to make a series about the character of Faith rather than Dollhouse, although I understand his creative need to spread his wings. In my mind, there is only a matter of time before they make a feature film that is a direct spin-off from the television series that involves Joss Whedon and doesn't suck. Fingers crossed.
Or maybe NBC is actually seeing Merlin as a quality scripted summer program and truly embracing a twelve-month programming schedule. The shorter thirteen-episode run fits better in the three-month season between seasons. So maybe that second season will make it to NBC in summer 2010? Or at least BBC America if NBC loses faith in it completely.
I haven't seen Merlin yet (it hasn't yet been broadcast in the States), so I can't comment on its quality. It's shown in a lot of different countries and has been renewed, so how bad can it be? Plus it has Anthony Stewart Head in it, who can even save shows like Little Britain from mediocrity.
Given the fact that British dramatic seasons are slightly shorter than their American counterparts (13 episodes as opposed to 22), I do wonder what they'll fill the other half-season with. Despite the shortened season, I have faith in the show's quality. BBC productions with American backing have produced big hits. For good examples, see Rome or Extras.
Our pals over at AOL have a fun new list up featuring their picks for the Top 25 ad icons of all time. As with any list, you can debate the results. I'll not spoil the list for you, but my pick was bumped all the way down to number nine. I bring it up here for two reasons. First, it's a fun trip down memory lane watching all of the old commercials. Seeing a young David Naughton singing and dancing about Dr. Pepper, or David Leisure pitching for Isuzu, is certainly a better use of your time than anything your boss had planned for today.
More importantly, given that this is Buffy week, a familiar face pops up on the list -- it's the one and only Anthony Stewart Head. If you're not of the Hanna Montana generation, you probably recall the series of spots for Nescafe from years gone by. They featured an ongoing story about a couple, Head and Sharon Maughan, tracing their relationship. It had all the classic bits. There was another woman, jobs getting in the way of their courtship, and even a Three's Company-style misunderstanding that gave him all the wrong ideas. In the end ... well, you can watch it all unfold, after the jump.
In a recent interview with Digital Spy, Anthony Stewart Head discusses his newest project on BBC One, The Invisibles, but he also drops an update on the state of Ripper and posts his thoughts on the Buffy Season Eight comic.
Who's the King of Comic-Con? Kevin Smith or Joss Whedon? Kevin may have pulled ahead with this afternoon's Heroes announcement, but Joss' fans come bearing gifts. Seriously. At least half the people asking questions had gifts to lay at the master's feet. Fortunately for us, Joss came equipped with a gift or two himself.
If you don't want one Buffy Season 8 spoiler, don't follow the jump.
Now, this whole "the five" thing is pretty rough. Only five slots for television's sexiest smarty-pants doesn't make things easy. There was no room for Steve Coogan, Charlie Rose, Bradley Whitford, Naveen Andrews or David Duchovny. So, the order here is arbitrary, and well, let's just preface this list by saying that we're talking about television stars here. This means that even the nerdiest of nerds is a far cry from dogsville, but these five all have one thing in common - they've got it going on upstairs.
From Tom Kapinos (Dawson's Creek), Californication, revolves around a single father trying to raise his child while dealing with sex and drug addictions. And finally, Insatiable tells the story of a small town where everyone has an addiction. It will be headed up by Linda Wallem (The Comeback, Jake In Progress).
Buffy The Vampire Slayer star Anthony Stewart Head is going to star in a pilot for a new ABC sitcom titled Him & Us, which is inspired by the life of Elton John.
Side note: remember those Taster's Choice commercials with Head? They never did finish that whole plotline with the woman, did they? They should bring those commercials back.
[via TV Tattle]
Update: Seems Reuters has posted a correction.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'The Bachelor' Season 19: Estrogen Mayhem and a Pregnancy Test
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.9 Photos: Mommy, Daddy and Hope!
- If I Am Going Down That Dark Alley Then I Want These Characters With Me
- 'The Flash': The Good and Evil from 'Power Outage'
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Winter Finale Photos: Christmas Memories
- More From BuddyTV
- Despite The Mentalist's Coupling, Final Season 'Is Not Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Emily Deschanel Talks Bones Season 11: 'I'm Up For It!"
- Forever Video: Henry and Jo Want to Know Who Put Out a Hit on This Brit
- The Missing Sneak Peek: Emily Finally Says What She's Really Thinking
- More From TVLine
- Burt Reynolds Auctions His Golden Globe
- 'The Walking Dead' Boss Talks 'Unexpected' Mid-Season Finale: You'll Need Tissues!
- That Time Anna Faris Invited the Entire Internet Over For Thanksgiving
- Shia LaBeouf Says He Was Raped During Art Event
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner (Plus Nicki Minaj, Usher and More) Pose For New Beats By Dre Ad
- More From ET