Watch the video after the jump.
The British producer will be expected to "infuse [the show] with fresh perspective and innovative ideas that will serve as a blueprint for a successful fifth season," according to HGTV senior vice president of programming Freddy James.
Burnett introduced competition-based reality programming to American audiences. In addition to his work on 'Survivor,' Burnett has produced everything from 'Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader,' to 'The Apprentice' to MTV's 'Bully Beatdown.'
In 2007, his work on 'Survivor' won him an Emmy for Outstanding Non-Fiction Program (Special Class).
'Design Star,' which just wrapped its fourth season in September, is a bit of a departure from Burnett's resume. Which means he may have to spruce it up a little to compete with the intensity of his other shows.
You might be thinking to yourself, "Isn't every reality show already just a real life version of Fantasy Island?" Not so fast Tattoo. Barnett's already got a trick up his sleeve. The contestants won't just be competing to have their fantasies come true. They are also competing to become the next Mr. Rourke.
I wish Ricardo Montlaban was still alive right now. He could "Khan" this whole production down with just one simple line.
(S03E15) Holy. Frikkin. Frak!
You all speculated on it, but you couldn't believe it was true. Heck, even I mentioned it in a previous post. I just didn't realize that Hart Hanson and his writers would actually do it. Some people are going to be happy, some will be sad, and some will be downright angry about who turned out to be Gormogon's apprentice.
Now, I'm not going to reveal who it is on this page, because I would be pulled out of my house and systematically flogged. So, if you have not watched the season finale of Bones DO NOT JUMP AHEAD! If you did watch the episode, then click forward and read on.
Well, maybe. Apparently the ratings for The Apprentice 5 haven't been that great, so NBC is trying to lure more viewers to the show with the possibility of a $10,000 prize each week. Turning the show into a kind of American Idol experience, viewers will be able to participate in the show and vote for who they think should be fired. So really, it'll be much more like real life. I remember when I was eighteen and applied at McDonald's but the manager wouldn't hire me until he asked fifty complete strangers on the street whether I should work there or not. It all makes perfect sense. Winners from all three time zones will be chosen each week. You can learn more about the contest over on NBC's site. The contest kicks off April 24 and will run to the end of the season.
- At 8, ABC has a repeat Wife Swap, followed by new episodes of Supernanny and Miracle Workers.
- CBS has a repeat Two and a Half Men at 8, followed by a new Old Christine and then NCAA basketball.
- NBC has a new, two hour Deal Or No Deal at 8, followed by a new Apprentice.
- Over on FOX, there's a new Prison Break and a new 24.
- The WB has a new 7th Heaven at 8, followed by a new Everwood.
- UPN has all repeats: One On One, All Of Us, Girlfriends, and Half & Half.
- If you missed last night's West Wing, Bravo has the repeat at 8. Also:
Showtime has last night's Huff premiere.
- At 9, IFC has Amelie.
- Food Network has a new Unwrapped at 9.
- ABC Family has a new Beautiful People at 9.
- Also at 9: USA has Monday Night RAW.
- At 10, Travel Channel has a new Anthony Bourdain, while MTV has a new Punk'd.
- At 11, HBO has the movie Walkout, directed by Edward James Olmos.
- FOX has a new Prison Break at 8, followed by a new 24.
- CBS has a repeat King of Queens, a repeat How I Met Your Mother, a repeat Two and a Half Men, a new Old Christine, and then a repeat CSI: Miami.
- Over on ABC, it's feel good/feel bad night! A new Wife Swap at 8, followed by new eps of Supernany and Miracle Workers.
- NBC has a new Deal Or No Deal, a new Apprentice, then a repeat of the Heist pilot.
- Everwood fans rejoice! Two new eps start at 8 on The WB.
- UPN has new eps of One On One, All Of Us, Girlfriends, and Half & Half.
- ABC Family has a new Wildfire at 8, followed by a new Beautiful People.
- HGTV has a new Cash in the Attic.
- HBO repeats Friday's Real Time With Bill Maher at 8.
- The Sci-Fi Channel has the Part One of Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King.
- 8pm movies: AMC has Silence of the Lambs, while TMC has Monster.
- At 9, Food Network has a new Unwrapped.
- Lifetime has the new thriller Black Widower at 9.
- Also at 9: USA has a new WWE Monday Night RAW.
- At 10, Spike has a new ep of Pro vs. Joes.
Forget the office! Why push paper all day when you can take a day off from shaving, throw on your ratty, old Survivor buff, strip down to your undies, and go to the first annual Reality TV Convention!
All you have to do is drag yourself to the Nashville Airport Marriot in Tennessee and you'll be well on your way to the largest reality television show convention ever conceived. Pictured above is an empty conference room, but if the convention were in it, I'm sure we could expect to see booths for a variety of shows and plenty of people with William Hung masks on. Event organizers are expecting a crowd of over 5,000 and according to the link below, stars from The Apprentice, The Biggest Loser, Big Brother, Survivor, American Idol, and many others will be in attendance. Fans will be able to ask questions, take pictures, and get autographs. For any reality fan, this is indeed the reality TV show Mecca. So plan your trip now for the event which will be held on June 3 and 4.
[Thanks to event organizer Joe Blackmon for the tip.]
Yup, today's the day! Martha Stewart gets that damn ankle bracelet taken off. Now she's free to roam the countryside. Wouldn't it be funny if, when the officials come to take off the bracelet, she was like Houdini and right in front of them took it off herself?
Martha: I just wanted you to know that I could have taken this thing off myself at anytime. I want you to know that.
Official: Thank you Martha for not taking it off. We've learned a lesson.
Martha: You're welcome. Would you like some creme brulee'?
[via TV Barn]
Last week's ep (which I just saw yesterday) was basically themed "Battle of the Reality Hasbeens" with The Apprentice's famous witch queen Omarosa and a bevy of annoying, obnoxious, ignorant and nonsensical attitude-filled freakazoids like Survivor's Jonny Fairplay (who I had never heard of before today). It was a painful two hours that found me fast forwarding on TiVo a lot. The fight for fifteen more minutes was never more desperate or sad. Mostly just sad.
- Out: Law and Order: Trial By
Jury, American Dreams, Medical Investigation, Committed, The Contender, Third Watch.
- New: The Apprentice: Martha Stuart, Three Wishes, E-Ring, Fathom, Inconceivable, My Name Is Earl, Thick and Thin, Four Kings.
- Returning: Scrubs, Fear Factor, Las Vegas, The Biggest Loser, Law & Order: Special Victims
Unit, Law & Order, Joey, Will
& Grace, The Apprentice, ER, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Crossing Jordan, Medium.
- Moving: The West Wing (Sundays, 8-9 p.m. EST), The Office (Tuesdays, 9:30-10 p.m. EST), Dateline NBC (Fridays 9-10 p.m. EST).
Read on for show descriptions.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scandal' Refresher: Where Did the Show Leave Off?
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'There's No Place Like Home'
- 11 Times 'The 100' Gave Me Nightmares
- 6 Reasons to Watch 'The Americans' Season 3
- 'Suits' Interview: Sarah Rafferty on Louis' Rage, Collateral Damage, Fun Flashback and More!
- More From BuddyTV
- Budweiser's 'Lost Dog' Super Bowl Ad Reunites the Puppy and Horse in 2015
- Ratings: Special CSI Hits Season Highs, Agent Carter and CW Dramas Dip
- RuPaul's Drag Race Shakes Up Judges' Panel — Watch the Season 7 Trailer!
- The Walking Dead First Look: 'What Happened' to Michonne?
- Stalker Sneak Peek: Phoebe Tonkin's Ex Marks the Spot — Or Does He?
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Arrow' Is Plotting Another Suicide Squad Episode – and Your Favorites Are Back!
- Chrissy Teigen Is Naked and Covered in Milk – But It's Not What You Think
- Gabrielle Union Recasts 'Bring It On' With Keke Palmer for a Younger Generation
- 'Arrow': Is Laurel in Over Her Head? Katie Cassidy on 'Jaw-Dropping' Canary Twists!
- Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato to Serve as Guest Judges on ‘RuPaul's Drag Race'
- More From ET