July 6, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Was the Power of Veto Used in Week 2?
- 'Penny Dreadful': Which Characters Will Be Back for Season 3?
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Watch 'Chasing Life' Season 2
- Claudia Jordan on Being Fired on 'RHOA': 'It's Not Over Until the Fat Lady Sings'
- 'The Bachelorette' Prediction: Who Will Be Sent Home Week 8?
- More From BuddyTV
- Supernatural Season 11: The Darkness Invades! — What Happens Next?
- TNT's Public Morals Trailer: Ed Burns Is a Morally Casual Cop in '60s Drama
- The Good Wife Season 7: Makenzie Vega No Longer a Series Regular
- Good Wife Retains Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Season 7 Regular — Is He (Finally) the One for Alicia?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Series Gets Premiere Date, Explosive New Poster
- More From TVLine
- Amy Schumer's Perfect 'Real Housewives' Audition Will Make You Wish She Was One
- Hugh Jackman's Wife Says He's 'Not Allowed' to Work With Angelina Jolie
- Malia Obama Reportedly Interning for Lena Dunham on 'Girls'
- Hillary Clinton Sent This Heartfelt Message to a Gay Teen After a Photo of Him Crying Went Viral
- Elizabeth Olsen Suffers a Windy Wardrobe Malfunction
- More From ET