October 13, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' Episode 11.4 Photos: Will Brennan Feel Competitive with Betty White's Dr. Mayer Around?
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21: Switch-Up Performance Rankings
- 'The Originals' Episode 3.2 Photos: Impending Threats and a Dire Prophecy
- Best 'Castle' Quotes from 'What Lies Beneath'
- 'The Voice' Interviews: Which Contestant Found It a 'Little Scary' to Work with Selena Gomez?
- More From BuddyTV
- Fresh Off the Boat Lands Full Season 2 Order at ABC
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on NCIS, Looking, Vampire Diaries, Castle, Arrow, Scorpion, Once, S.H.I.E.L.D. and More
- The Wiz Live: First Cast Photos Reveal Dorothy and Pals' Oz-some Costumes
- For Kingdom Season 2, 'Unreasonable Commitment' Was the Cast's Mantra
- Pretty Little Liars' Lucy Hale Offers Hope for 'Ezria' in Season 6B, Teases 'Deadlier' Threats From 'A'
- More From TVLine
- Why Is Michelle Duggar Repurposing Old Blogs About Sex & Chaperones Post-Scandal?
- Daniel Craig's 'Spectre' Co-Star Defends Him After Controversial 'Slash My Wrists' Remark
- Hayden Panettiere Seeking Treatment for Postpartum Depression
- Bradley Cooper Stands by Jennifer Lawrence Over Equal Pay in Hollywood: 'There Is a Double Standard'
- Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos Step Out With Their Adorable Kids -- See the Pic!
- More From ET