March 7, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Elementary' My Dear Watson: Best Deductions from 'Ears to You'
- 'The Following' Season 2 Episode Photos
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland': 19 Moments of Shock, Determination, Joy and Grief in 'Nothing to Fear'
- 'Intelligence' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Scandal': 15 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'We Do Not Touch the First Ladies'
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Sherlock' Season 4: Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss tease Moriarty's return, premiere date
- Katie Holmes cast to star in 'Dangerous Liaisons'-style pilot on ABC
- 'Mad Men' gets a groovy Season 7 poster from graphic artist Milton Glaser
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 4: First four episode descriptions released
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter wants Aaron Paul in Season 7
- More From Zap2it
- Veronica Mars Movie: Jason Dohring Answers the Burning Question – Is 'LoVe' Still in the Air?
- TVLine Items: Sharknado 2 Premiere Date, True Blood Promotion, Orphan Catch-Up and More
- Pilot News: Felicity Huffman Joins American Crime, John Corbett Returns to FX and More
- Did Glee Dis Artie? Why'd Castle Spoil a Twist? Are We to 'Ship Dead's Daryl/Beth? And More Qs!
- Exclusive Bones Clip: Booth, Brennan Squabble About Insurance (It's Funnier Than It Sounds)
- More From TVLine