Was that the first time a network show actually endorsed atheism?
I mean, I've seen Bill Maher throw his anti-religion grenades, but that's HBO and that's Bill Maher. To my knowledge no network -- even a network like Fox, which once had a line-up made up entirely of World's Scariest Alien Autoposies -- had ever come down this hard on the beliefs of its viewers...
This is the 27th in my twelve-part series where my friends (that's you) and I (that's also you, but in this case: me) try to learn all we can about a subject by turning to that great teaching tool known as television.
Many people will tell you that whether or not a person ultimately believes in a supreme being is a matter of personal choice, hopefully arrived at through study and reflection. This is not true: both atheism and religion are based on cheese, and which of the following items most interests a person, this:
Over the holidays while I was back in Iowa visiting family, my mother and I stayed up late one night engaging in one of those perpetual conversations about "God vs. Science." Like anyone else, I have my own feelings about how the universe operates, so when I was sent this link to a new boardgame from Growing Pains hunk turned evangelical Kirk Cameron and minister Ray Comfort called Intelligent Design Vs. Evolution, you can bet my brain lit up with about a dozen opinions.
Mrs. Garrison: Pound my monkey hole, Richard!
I figured Matt and Trey would at least lean toward the side of evolution in this episode, and they did, but it was really about how we tend to oversimplify things. Mr. Garrison reluctantly teaches evolution, telling the kids they're basically all "retarded fish squirrels," the product of a millenia's worth of inter-species butt sex. Later, author and atheist Richard Dawkins automatically turns Garrison into an atheist by telling him that a flying spaghetti monster is as likely to exist as God because you can't disprove either.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Madam Secretary's Téa Leoni, EPs Talk Elizabeth's First Scandal, Henry's Spy Game, Staff Bonding and More
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from Grey's, Mindy, Parks and More
- Ratings: Five-0 Slips to Low, Last Man Rises, Cristela Ticks Up, Dixie Flat
- Performer of the Week: Lady Gaga
- Glee Recap: Party Poopers
- More From TVLine
- Kanye West Honors His Late Mother & North -- See the Tattoos!
- Kate Mara Doesn't Want You to Eat Meat On Mondays and Here's Why
- William Shatner Feels Awful for Having to Miss Leonard Nimoy's Funeral
- Did Ryan Gosling Get His Daughter's Name Tattooed on His Knuckles?!
- Alicia Keys Shows Off 2-Month-Old Baby in Most Adorable Family Pic!
- More From ET