For over thirty years, Dina Babbitt, once a teenage girl imprisoned in Auschwitz, has been trying to reclaim paintings she made while in the concentration camp. Josef Mengele, the infamous Nazi doctor, took a liking to Babbitt's artwork and asked her to paint portraits of the gypsies on which he was performing his horrific experiments. It was, in fact, these paintings that kept Babbitt alive. After the war, Babbitt came to California and worked as an animator for both Warner Bros. and Jay Ward Productions. When it was revealed that seven of her Auschwitz paintings were on display at the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Poland, she tried to get them back, but the museum has consistently refused, claiming the paintings are not personal works of art, but rather documentation of the events that occurred at Auschwitz created under the orders of Dr. Mengele. The artistic community, including former DC Comics artist Joe Kubert, have rallied around Babbitt's cause, as have congresswoman Shelley Berkley, and a former director of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington. Efforts to help the 83 year old Babbitt reclaim her artwork were stepped up recently due to a heart condition that is threatening her health, though I would assume that if she were to pass away before the issue is resolved her family would continue the fight.
[via Toon Zone]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 16 Amazing Christmas Episodes You Can Watch Right Now
- Why Everyone Needs to Watch HBO's 'The Wire'
- 'Bachelor' Star Chris Soules and Other Stars from the Franchise to Grace Rose Parade
- 'Kardashians' Star Khloe Kardashian Denies She Kicked Out Her Brother Rob Out of Her House
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: Does Phaedra Fall for Apollo's Stunt?
- More From BuddyTV
- Once Upon a Time Casts Originals Baddie as Aurora's Father
- TVLine Mixtape, Joe Cocker Edition: Songs From Wonder Years, ER and More
- TVLine Items: George Clooney's Full Downton Spoof, Gabba Guests & More
- Mike Colter to Play Marvel Hero Luke Cage in Netflix's Jessica Jones Series
- Sleepy Hollow Photos: Ichabod's Date, Michelle Trachtenberg's Arrival & More
- More From TVLine
- Adele Apologizes for Missing Elton John's Wedding in Classy Note
- Music's 3 Biggest Breakthrough Artists of 2014
- Lupita Nyong'o Pens Heartfelt Poem About Her Awesome Year
- Cody Simpson Defends Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Kendall Jenner, Teases New Music (EXCLUSIVE)
- How Hollywood Played a Part in Real-Life 'Selma' March
- More From ET