April 25, 2014
by Brad Linder, posted Jun 17th 2008 8:06AM
Azureus has officially put all of its eggs into a basket called Vuze. The company has dropped its standalone BitTorrent client as instead focusing on Vuze, which is a combination Bittorrent search engine and desktop video player. Azureus has also officially changed its name to Vuze and yesterday released Vuze 3.1, an updated client with a handful of new features, including:
- Create user profiles and add friends
- Recommend torrents you think your friends might want to download
- Search BitTorrent trackers besides Vuze, including MiniNova, SumoTorrent, and others
by Brad Linder, posted Apr 6th 2007 10:22AM
Azureus has renamed its Zudeo BitTorrent client Vuze. Along with the name change comes a few new features like an improved search engine and a new navigation system. And more importantly, there's new high definition content from networks including Showtime and the BBC. Limited content was already available form A&E Networks, G4 TV, National Geographic, and Starz Media.
While most users probably think of BitTorrent clients as software for downloading TV shows and movies illegally, Vuze is all about partnering with networks and independent video producers to sell content.
And while there's not much premium content available right now, Azureus has snagged the right to distribute some interesting programming, including Showtime's Weeds, Dexter, and The L Word. Vuze will also distribute the BBC series Sorted, which is otherwise unavailable in the United States. This should come as good news to anyone hoping that other BBC content such as Life on Mars, or the original version of The IT Crowd might one day be distributed via Vuze or BBC's own online video service.
[via Ars Technica]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Seth Meyers Hosting 2014 Emmy Awards
- Did ABC's Black Box Get Inside Your Head?
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Before and Aftershocks — Plus Your First Look at Burke's Return
- CBS' Bad Teacher: Did It Pass or Fail?
- American Idol Top 6 Results Recap: Maybe I Didn't Vote for You, Quite as Often as I Should Have
- More From TVLine
- Aaron Carter Opens Up About Addiction Struggle
- Justin Bieber Released from Customs (VIDEO)
- Hang Ten with Hollywood's Best Surf Films
- Tori Spelling Acknowledges Her Cheating Past on 'True Tori'
- Bryan Singer Calls Underage Sex Abuse Allegations 'Vicious,' Pulls Out of 'X-Men' Promo Events
- More From ET