TV commercials are fairly easy to satirize. If you think about it, advertising is sort of ridiculous in the first place (a TV show is interrupted to ask you to buy toilet paper and gum?), so they're a natural for parody. There have been a lot of great parodies over the years, from shows such as Saturday Night Live and SCTV, and now Nerve has picked the 50 that they consider to be the best.
There are a lot of great choices, from SNL's "Colon Blow," "Schmitt's Gay Beer," and "Compulsion by Calvin Klein" to the Zoloft ad from Mad TV. One of my favorites is SNL's "Happy Fun Ball" spot, which was written by Jack Handey and included in his new book of essays What I'd Say To The Martians. It's a good list all around, though it's also one that I feel is missing a bunch of good ones, only I can't put my finger on which ones are missing at the moment.
The one they pick as number one is undoubtedly a classic, though I think it's overrated. I've always loved the one after the jump.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Amazing Race: All-Stars' Week 8 Express Pass Power Rankings: With a Little Help from My Friends
- 'The Amazing Race: All Stars' Recap: Screw the U-Turn
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Reunion Part 1 Recap: Porsha Gets Physical
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: The Aftermath of the Purple Wedding
- 'Once Upon a Time' Recap: Cora's Revenge Isn't Sweet
- More From BuddyTV
- Did WGN America's Salem Bewitch You?
- Devious Maids Season Premiere Recap: Bridges of Beverly Hills — Plus: Bonus Scoop
- Game of Thrones Recap: The Devil You Know
- Once Upon a Time Recap: Hatchets Buried, a Murder Plan Revealed, a Pair of Lips Locked
- Discovery Channel Cancels Live Mount Everest Jump Special In Wake of Avalanche Tragedy
- More From TVLine