TV commercials are fairly easy to satirize. If you think about it, advertising is sort of ridiculous in the first place (a TV show is interrupted to ask you to buy toilet paper and gum?), so they're a natural for parody. There have been a lot of great parodies over the years, from shows such as Saturday Night Live and SCTV, and now Nerve has picked the 50 that they consider to be the best.
There are a lot of great choices, from SNL's "Colon Blow," "Schmitt's Gay Beer," and "Compulsion by Calvin Klein" to the Zoloft ad from Mad TV. One of my favorites is SNL's "Happy Fun Ball" spot, which was written by Jack Handey and included in his new book of essays What I'd Say To The Martians. It's a good list all around, though it's also one that I feel is missing a bunch of good ones, only I can't put my finger on which ones are missing at the moment.
The one they pick as number one is undoubtedly a classic, though I think it's overrated. I've always loved the one after the jump.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The X Factor': Alex and Sierra on making Kelly Rowland cry
- 'The Tomorrow People': Murder, limbo and Darth Vader in 'Death's Door'
- 'Duck Dynasty' Christmas special recap: A nativity play and wild hog guts
- 'The Sing-Off' Season 4: Meet '90s-obsessed guy group The Filharmonic
- 'Nashville' fall finale: Did both [SPOILER] and [SPOILER] die in 'Tomorrow Never Comes?'
- More From Zap2it
- Golden Globes 2014: The Nominees Are….
- Exclusive Reign Sneak Peek: Catherine Begs Mary to Save Francis' Life – But Will She?
- What to Watch Thursday: Scandal, The Vampire Diaries, Big Bang, Grey's and 6 Other Fall Finales
- The X Factor Top 4 Performance Recap: Raise Your Hopeful Voice, You Have a Choice
- AHS: Coven Recap: The Eyes Have It
- More From TVLine