beauty and the beast
"The night is dark and full of terrors." Frankly, there's not much of the teaser to savor, but you can do so after the jump.
Meanwhile, 'Game of Thrones' creator George R.R. Martin says he has "mixed feelings" about The CW's planned remake of 'Beauty and the Beast.' Martin served as a writer and producer on the original series, which aired on CBS from 1987 to 1990.
The network will air five titles based on familiar stories, including 'Hansel and Gretel' and 'Little Red Riding Hood.' The films will be part of the network's popular Saturday night movie franchise, which features low-budget, original genre projects produced in association with several independent studios.
But in TV land, the sisters were doin' it for themselves and finally getting respect as cops, war nurses and working moms; iconic shows like 'Hill Street Blues,' 'St. Elsewhere' and 'L.A. Law' would forever change (for the better) cop, medical and legal dramas; and no idea was too high concept to fill a primetime spot (time-travelling physicist? check; housewife-turned-CIA op? check; New York City beauty in love with a subterranean monster? check).
The bottom line: They all add up to 10 years of fine channel surfing -- and our awesome list of the 40 best series of the 1980s.
Beauty and the Beast: The Complete Series - A tolerable "chick flick" type series, you can probably get away with watching just the first two seasons, before Linda Hamilton left and her character was killed off. And once your significant other gets used to the idea of Ron Perlman in Beast make-up, maybe you can convince her to watch Hellboy with you.
Glad I held off on getting the season one set of Banacek, as the complete series gets released on DVD tomorrow. I'm also interested in The Starlost, since I think it's something I haven't seen before but I've heard many things about (not all good).
Of course, you Sports Night fans are going to want the new 10th Anniversary complete series set, even if you have the old set.
- Adam-12 - Season 2
- B.L. Stryker - Complete Series
- Banacek - Complete Series
- Beauty and the Beast - Complete Series
- Click & Clack's As The Wrench Turns
- Edward the King - Miniseries
- Laredo - Best of Season 2, Part 1
- Mr. Bean - Best of Mr. Bean, Vol. 2
- My Name is Earl - Season 3
- My Three Sons - Season 1, Vol. 1
- The New Fantastic Four - The Impossible Man
- Numb3rs - Season 4
- Lewis Black's Root of All Evil
- Sports Night - Complete Series
- The Starlost - Complete Series
- When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Collection 2
- Beauty and the Beast - Season 3
- Charlie and Lola - Vol. 7
- Dirty Jobs - Collection 2
- The Drak Pack - Complete Series
- The Jerry Springer Show: Undressed, Unleashed and Uncensored - Vol. 1, 2, and 3
- McLeod's Daughters - Season 5
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Vol. 10.2
- Perfect Strangers - Seasons 1 and 2
- Route 66 - Season 1, Vol. 2
- Slings and Arrows - Complete Collection
- Soul Food - Season 3
- Third Watch - Season 1
- The Whitest Kids You Know - Season 1
Lists are fun, aren't they? They put everything in perspective, they're easy to navigate, and they spark debate. But sometimes a list has entries in it that just make you scratch your head and wonder, do they really think that or are they just trying to be provocative?
The Chicago Tribune lists their picks for the 25 worst shows of all-time. Many of the usual suspects are here: Pink Lady and Jeff, BJ and the Bear, Manimal, and Small Wonder - but then they go completely off the rails and lists The 100 Lives of Blackjack Savage! If you don't remember this NBC show (it lasted 8 episodes in 1991), it was about a billionaire (Daniel Hugh-Kelly), accused of embezzlement, who escapes to an island, who gets involved with a ghost and has to save 100 lives. This was a really fun show and doesn't deserve to be on any "worst" list.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- Beauty and the Beast - Season 2
- Bewitched - Season 5 (Color)
- Extras - Season 2
- The Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark (Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett)
- Home Run Derby - Vol. 1
- Hustle - Season 3
- My Super Sweet 16 - Seasons 1 and 2
- Punky Brewster - Vols. 1-6
Here are the new TV DVDs in stores tomorrow.
- All in the Family - Season 6
- Beauty and the Beast - Season 1
- Cobra - Complete Series
- Emergency - Season 3
- The Golden Girls - Season 7
- Grosse Pointe - Complete Series
- The Hills - Season 1
- Hustle - Season 2
- Masters of Horror - Pelts (Argento)
- Men Behaving Badly - Complete Series
- Reno 911- Most Wanted Uncensored
- Zoey 101 - Season 1
The series which began in 1987 had lots of rabid fans, and not just of the romance novel variety. Well, fans, your day has finally come. Beauty and the Beast will be released to DVD on February 13, 2007.
While the official announcement from Paramount hasn't been released, DVD Empire is taking pre-orders.
Now, this is just for the fans. The narration from the opening credits:
Spike has ordered five episodes of Afro Samurai. They begin airing January 4th.
Yes, the headline would usually include the "at (age)," but I can't find anything that says what his age was. Nothing on the IMDB, and nothing on his site either.
You would recognize Jay's voice as much as his face, as he voiced an incredible number of cartoons over the years, including The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Reboot, Spiderman, Teen Titans, Superman, The Mighty Ducks, Gargoyles, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as a massive number of videogames: World of Warcraft, X-Men Legends, Lionhearts, various Star Trek games, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and just about every other video game ever made that used a voice. But he had live action roles in TV and movies too, including Lois and Clark, Newhart, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., Mr. Belvedere, Twin Peaks, Beauty and the Beast, Eerie, Indiana, Matlock, Murphy Brown, Picket Fences, and The Golden Girls. He was also a Royal Shakespeare Company actor and a singer.
He died earlier this week after surgery for removal of a non-cancerous growth on his lungs.
Good to see him back on TV, though, in a significant role. I always liked him on Beast, except when he was furrily making out with Linda Hamilton. That was just wrong.
Actually, Young will be playing the candlestick, Lumiere, in a 10-week run starting May 9. Don't worry AMC fans, he'll still be on the soap too. Young will be doing double-duty on stage and on television. His only conflict is the Wednesday matinee, which gives his Broadway understudy a little stage time.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'RHOA' Star Kenya Moore Speaks Out About Phaedra Parks' Infidelity Rumors on 'WWHL'
- 'The Following' Season 3 Premiere: 19 Moments from Joy to Misery in 'New Blood'
- Former 'Bachelorette' Star Andi Dorfman Spotted with Ex Nick Viall, Addresses Dating Rumors
- 'Kardashians' Stars Kendall and Kylie Jenner to Get Own Spinoff?
- 'The Real Housewives of New York City' Adds Dorinda Medley
- More From BuddyTV
- Video: Kelly Clarkson and Jimmy Fallon Master the History of Duets
- The Voice Recap: Chair-iats of Fire
- Pilot News: Glee's Jane Lynch to Star as CBS' Angel From Hell
- The Following Season Premiere Recap: Wait, Who Was Driving That Car?
- Pilot News: True Blood Alum Is Frankenstein's Monster
- More From TVLine
- Kerry Washington to Be Honored with GLAAD Vanguard Award
- Carrie Underwood Welcomes Baby Boy -- See the First Pic!
- EXCLUSIVE: Flo Rida Reveals His Sensitive Side With 'Heartfelt' New Single 'Once in a Lifetime'
- Kanye West Admits His Ego is His 'Biggest Achilles Heel,' Internet Calls Him a 'Loser'
- Stars Share Pics of Their Cute Kids
- More From ET