New Oscar producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic have decided to drop the Best Song performances, according Entertainment Weekly. Instead of singers -- either from the movie or good enough to sing the songs from the movies -- we're going to see a montage of images from the picture with the soundtrack recording.
Of course, for many of us, the question could be "did the Grammys ever matter at all?" But they're asking the question on CNN, and I have to admit that if I didn't write for a TV site I probably wouldn't even had known that the show was tonight (8pm on CBS).
Is this show important to anyone outside of the music industry? And why would it even be important to anyone in the music industry, since I don't think that a Grammy nomination or a win results in more sales to the average consumer. I mean, I don't think music fan buys a CD because the artist wins an award, they buy it because they like the artist anyway, or it was recommended by a friend, etc. In fact, the argument could be made that since the artist/album got a Grammy nomination, it already had great sales, or it wouldn't have been nominated (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's quality, not quanity - but that's in a perfect world. In the real world, sales means accolades).
So tell us: do you watch the Grammys? And if so, why? And do awards go out and make you buy the album?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 5: Frankie's HoH Photos
- 'Chasing Life' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'The Last Ship' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Under the Dome' Episode 2.6 Photos: Barbie and Sam Explore a Mysterious Tunnel
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Top 14 Moments: Mama Bears and Creepy Guys from 'Scream for Me'
- More From BuddyTV
- Scoop: Warren Kole Is 'Following' Kevin Williamson to CBS' Stalker
- Nashville Books Laura Benanti for Season 3 — Will She Clash With Rayna?
- Supernatural Season 10: Who's the Mystery Returning Guest Star?
- Big Bang Theory Production Officially Postponed, as Actors Await New Deals
- Mystery Girls Embraces Its Campy Style With New Fashion-Centric Promo
- More From TVLine
- That Keith Urban Concert May Have Been Worse Than We Thought
- 'Big Bang Theory' On Hold While Cast Negotiates Contracts
- Taylor Swift on Playing ‘Emotionless' Girl in ‘The Giver'
- Justin Bieber Shows Orlando Bloom Crying
- Robert Pattinson Talks Kristen Stewart Cheating Scandal: 'S**t Happens'
- More From ET