New Oscar producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic have decided to drop the Best Song performances, according Entertainment Weekly. Instead of singers -- either from the movie or good enough to sing the songs from the movies -- we're going to see a montage of images from the picture with the soundtrack recording.
Of course, for many of us, the question could be "did the Grammys ever matter at all?" But they're asking the question on CNN, and I have to admit that if I didn't write for a TV site I probably wouldn't even had known that the show was tonight (8pm on CBS).
Is this show important to anyone outside of the music industry? And why would it even be important to anyone in the music industry, since I don't think that a Grammy nomination or a win results in more sales to the average consumer. I mean, I don't think music fan buys a CD because the artist wins an award, they buy it because they like the artist anyway, or it was recommended by a friend, etc. In fact, the argument could be made that since the artist/album got a Grammy nomination, it already had great sales, or it wouldn't have been nominated (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's quality, not quanity - but that's in a perfect world. In the real world, sales means accolades).
So tell us: do you watch the Grammys? And if so, why? And do awards go out and make you buy the album?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Lena Dunham hosts 'Saturday Night Live': Liam Neeson, Jon Hamm, Fred Armisen show up for surprise cameos
- 'True Detective' Season 1 crib sheet: All you need to know before the finale
- 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey': President Barack Obama to introduce FOX special
- Showtime's 'Gucci: The Director' gives a close-up view of Gucci creative director Frida Giannini's vision and life
- 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' Season 6 debuts on Netflix: Did the final season tie up all the loose ends?
- More From Zap2it
- Lena Dunham Hosts Saturday Night Live: What Were the Best and Worst Sketches?
- Louis C.K. Set for Saturday Night Live Encore
- Pilot News: Robert Patrick, Amy Sedaris and a Desperate Housewife Are Among Latest Castings
- Hot Video: In 24: Live Another Day, All Jack Must Stop Is a New 'World War'— Also: Is That…?!
- Pilot Scoop: Supernatural Spin-Off Gets a New Title, Casts Its Final Series Regular
- More From TVLine