New Oscar producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic have decided to drop the Best Song performances, according Entertainment Weekly. Instead of singers -- either from the movie or good enough to sing the songs from the movies -- we're going to see a montage of images from the picture with the soundtrack recording.
Of course, for many of us, the question could be "did the Grammys ever matter at all?" But they're asking the question on CNN, and I have to admit that if I didn't write for a TV site I probably wouldn't even had known that the show was tonight (8pm on CBS).
Is this show important to anyone outside of the music industry? And why would it even be important to anyone in the music industry, since I don't think that a Grammy nomination or a win results in more sales to the average consumer. I mean, I don't think music fan buys a CD because the artist wins an award, they buy it because they like the artist anyway, or it was recommended by a friend, etc. In fact, the argument could be made that since the artist/album got a Grammy nomination, it already had great sales, or it wouldn't have been nominated (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's quality, not quanity - but that's in a perfect world. In the real world, sales means accolades).
So tell us: do you watch the Grammys? And if so, why? And do awards go out and make you buy the album?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 2015 SAG Awards: Red Carpet Photos
- 'Supernatural' Video Interviews: Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki and Felicia Day Tease Charlie's Return
- 'Jane the Virgin' Interview: EP Jennie Urman Teases Baby's Birth, Bromance and Continued Love Triangle
- 'Gotham' Interview: Donal Logue on How Jim 'Reinvigorated' Harvey
- 'The Celebrity Apprentice' Predictions: Who Will Be Fired from the Top 9?
- More From BuddyTV
- Parks and Rec Sneak Peek: Andy Shows Off Johnny Karate's Serious Side
- Ratings: Miss Universe Hits 5-Year High; Galavant, Resurrection Finales Rise
- The Originals' Charles Michael Davis on Freya's Arrival, Marcel's New Romance
- Agent Carter EP Teases Stark's Betrayal — Plus: An Exclusive Sneak Peek
- HTGAWM Sneak Peek: Suspicion Rises Around Sam's Disappearance!
- More From TVLine
- Best Celebrity Tweets About Winter Storm Juno
- FLASHBACK: 26-Year-Old Ellen DeGeneres Accurately Predicts Her Future in Television
- Star Sightings
- The Important Lesson Toni Collette Taught Eddie Redmayne About Acting
- Miley Cyrus Works on New Album ‘Every Day,' Thought Grammy Nom Was a 'Joke'
- More From ET