New Oscar producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic have decided to drop the Best Song performances, according Entertainment Weekly. Instead of singers -- either from the movie or good enough to sing the songs from the movies -- we're going to see a montage of images from the picture with the soundtrack recording.
Of course, for many of us, the question could be "did the Grammys ever matter at all?" But they're asking the question on CNN, and I have to admit that if I didn't write for a TV site I probably wouldn't even had known that the show was tonight (8pm on CBS).
Is this show important to anyone outside of the music industry? And why would it even be important to anyone in the music industry, since I don't think that a Grammy nomination or a win results in more sales to the average consumer. I mean, I don't think music fan buys a CD because the artist wins an award, they buy it because they like the artist anyway, or it was recommended by a friend, etc. In fact, the argument could be made that since the artist/album got a Grammy nomination, it already had great sales, or it wouldn't have been nominated (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's quality, not quanity - but that's in a perfect world. In the real world, sales means accolades).
So tell us: do you watch the Grammys? And if so, why? And do awards go out and make you buy the album?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Moments of Emma and Regina's Road Trip From 'Lily'
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- Bruce Jenner's Docuseries Gets Premiere Date, 'Kardashians' Stars Show Support
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Revenge' Recap: Death Doesn't Stop Victoria from Trying to Bring Down Amanda
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Strike Back Premiere Date, an Americans Return and More
- Good Wife Finale Scoop: Kalinda Will Be Back (and Fans Will Be Very Happy)
- Lip Sync Battle: Watch Michael Strahan (and Special Guests) Serve Up 'Poison'
- The Returned Sneak Peek: Nikki Tells Julie the Dark Truth(s?) About Victor
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo: I'm 'Excited' for Meredith's Life After Derek
- More From TVLine
- Move Over, Channing Tatum! Joe Manganiello's 'Magic Mike XXL' Poster Is Everything
- Sophia Bush 'Devastated' by Death of Ex Dan Fredinburg in Nepal Earthquake
- Mariah Carey Disses Nick Cannon in New Break-Up Track? 'Boy You Actin' So Corny Like Fritos'
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Dance and Cuddle at Stagecoach
- Legendary Actress Jayne Meadows Allen Dies at 95
- More From ET