More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Blake Shelton Hosts SNL: What Were the Best and Worst Sketches?
- Joe Franklin, Television Talk Show Pioneer, Dead at 88
- Performer of the Week: Allison Janney
- Ratings: Constantine and Dixie Tick Up, Glee Flat, Shark Tank Rerun Tops Night
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from The Flash, Togetherness and More
- More From TVLine
- Surprise! Rihanna Drops New Song With Kanye West and Paul McCartney
- This Wrong 'Wheel of Fortune' Answer Kept Getting Repeated and Repeated
- Stars Hit the 2015 Sundance Film Festival
- Lindsay Lohan Credits Her Calvin Kleins for Helping Fight Off Rare Virus
- Blake Shelton Is Giving Away His Music For Free
- More From ET