More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Strain' Answers: Secrets of the Strigoi Revealed
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Was the Power of Veto Used in Week 10?
- 'The Bachelor' Roundup: Chris Soules' First Interview as The Bachelor, Juan Pablo Galavis' Advice and More
- 'The Strain' Recap: One Friend is Lost, Another is Gained
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Kendall Drops Last Name, Brody Feels 'Played' by Kim and More
- More From BuddyTV
- 24 Movie Talks Heat Up (Again): Is Jack Finally Headed to the Big Screen?
- Ratings: Big Brother Down But on Top, CBS Dramas Rise, Wipeout Plunges
- Grey's Anatomy Admits The Americans' Annet Mahendru
- Teen Wolf Sneak Peek: Sparks Fly on Scott and Kira's First 'Real' Date
- Falling Skies Season 4 Finale Recap: Over the Moon
- More From TVLine