More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Reign DVD Video: Adelaide Kane Examines Mary's Journey to the Throne
- Friends Pilot Revisited 20 Years Later: The Hair! The Clothes! The Mistake?
- NBC's Peter Pan Live! Casts Broadway Actress Taylor Louderman as Wendy
- NCIS' Sean Murray Previews 'Classic' Season 12, McGee/Gibbs Bonding
- The Mysteries of Laura Sneak Peek: 'Captain Booty' Lays Down the Law
- More From TVLine
- Kris Jenner Officially Files for Divorce From Bruce After 23 Years of Marriage
- 6 Things You Didn't Know About 'Big Bang Theory' Before the Season 8 Premiere!
- Kanye West Is Now Teaching a College!
- What We Learned From This High School Football Player's Spectacularly Inspiring Interview
- 14 People Who Already Broke Their iPhone 6
- More From ET