More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Under the Dome Recap: Going Viral
- Teen Wolf Recap: War Games
- Mistresses Recap: 50 Shades of 'Nay!'
- Fargo Renewed for Season 2 Prequel — New Details on Time Period, Returning Characters
- Sons of Anarchy Cast Previews Jax's 'Vengeance,' Gemma's Betrayal and an 'Exciting Romance' in Final Season
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Paul Deen Announces Launch Date of New Network
- Watch Kim Kardashian Freak Out and Cry in Thailand Over a Zip Line
- The Anatomy of a Rumor: Could This be the End of Jay Z & Beyonce?
- The Power of Faith Based Films
- Dwayne Johnson on the Fanny Pack & Why His Next Movie Might be a Musical
- More From ET