More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Emmy Poll 2014: What Should Win Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series?
- True Blood: Ranking 15 of the Series' Best and (Mostly) Worst Villains
- Sneak Peek: The Last Ship Gets a Rude Awakening in Season Finale
- Max Adler Returning to Glee's Season 6 — Should Klaine Fans Be Worried?
- Pretty Little Liars First Look: 'Fatal' Summer Finale Claims Its First Victim
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: On Set With Charli XCX for Her Prom-Themed 'Break the Rules' Video
- Remember William Hung From 'American Idol?' He's Married!
- Nick Cannon Confirms Separate Living Arrangements with Mariah Carey
- Ariana Grande Clarifies Her Comments on Her Ex Cheating on Her With Another Guy
- This French Bulldog Puppy is the Cutest Thing That Has Ever Happened
- More From ET