More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Nashville Newbie (and Fan) Laura Benanti on Sadie's Music City Sojourn
- Parenthood First Look: Amber and Sarah Have a Serious Baby Talk
- Jessie Gets Engaged, Liv and Maddie's Triplet and More 'Monstober' Photos
- Mistresses' Alyssa Milano: I Won't Be Returning for Season 3
- ABC Family, HBO and MTV Lead GLAAD's Annual LGBT Inclusion Study; CW Has No Regular LGBT Characters
- More From TVLine
- Aretha Franklin Nails Adele Cover on 'Late Show' -- But What's Up with Cissy Houston?
- Taylor Swift Can't Picture Dating a Guy Right Now
- Anne Hathaway: The Fame Thing 'F**ked Me Up'
- Nick Jonas Flashes His Abs For 'Flaunt' Magazine
- Bethenny Frankel Returning to 'Real Housewives of New York City'?!
- More From ET