February 27, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 28th 2010 12:02PM
With the season coming to a close, the networks are starting to look toward next season. In the case of 'Criminal Minds,' that includes exploring the possibility of a spin-off series. They ran an embedded pilot for it earlier this season, introducing the new cast, and they've already had tremendous success with both 'NCIS' and 'CSI' spin-offs. But whatever happened to the old-school way of creating spin-offs?
'Frasier' was a long-time cast member on 'Cheers' before he headed off to Seattle and sitcom super-stardom. 'The Jeffersons' spent time living next to the Bunkers ('All in the Family') before moving on up. Even as recently as 'Friends,' they spun series co-star 'Joey' off into his own series -- maybe that's when it all went so wrong.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 12 Girls Performance Rankings
- 'Agent Carter': What Have We Learned from the First Female Superhero Show?
- 'Kardashians' Family Secures $100 Million Deal with E!
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.17 Photos: Caroline's Got a Gun
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Season Finale Recap: Lila's Killer is Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- Hawaii Five-0 Sneak Peek: Danny and the 'Killing Machine' Return to Therapy
- How to Get Away With Murder Season 1 Finale Recap: Over Her Dead Body
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Herman's Head
- American Idol Recap: Chick Magnetism
- Castle Casts 24 Vet Reiko Aylesworth, Housewives' Ricardo Chavira
- More From TVLine
- Will Forte Gives Seth Meyers the Best Wedding Toast of All Time
- Eddie Redmayne Channels Transgender Pioneer Lili Elbe for New Film
- Zedd Met Selena Gomez Because 'He Had to Pee'
- Are Alan Cumming's ‘Celibacy Challenge' Undies Too Risqué for Instagram?
- Kanye West Tweets Out Apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- More From ET