April 16, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 28th 2010 12:02PM
With the season coming to a close, the networks are starting to look toward next season. In the case of 'Criminal Minds,' that includes exploring the possibility of a spin-off series. They ran an embedded pilot for it earlier this season, introducing the new cast, and they've already had tremendous success with both 'NCIS' and 'CSI' spin-offs. But whatever happened to the old-school way of creating spin-offs?
'Frasier' was a long-time cast member on 'Cheers' before he headed off to Seattle and sitcom super-stardom. 'The Jeffersons' spent time living next to the Bunkers ('All in the Family') before moving on up. Even as recently as 'Friends,' they spun series co-star 'Joey' off into his own series -- maybe that's when it all went so wrong.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Exclusive: Banshee Promotes 2 to Series Regular
- TVLine Items: Roswell Reunion, BMS' Kickstarter Campaign, a Kitchen Exclusive and More
- Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Rises, NCIS, Originals, Supernatural Hit Lows, FX's Fargo Opens Quietly
- FX Renews The Americans For Season 3
- The 100′s Thomas McDonell Reveals Finn and Clarke's New 'Obstacle'— Plus: An Exclusive Clip
- More From TVLine
- Chloe Grace Moretz Faces Life-or-Death Decision in 'If I Stay' (VIDEO)
- Jenny McCarthy Drops Surprise Engagement News on 'The View'
- Robin Roberts: Doctor Told Me I Had Two Years to Live
- Is 'Here' Pharrell's New 'Happy'? (LISTEN)
- 'The View' to Unite all 11 Co-Hosts For the First Time Ever
- More From ET