November 26, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 28th 2010 12:02PM
With the season coming to a close, the networks are starting to look toward next season. In the case of 'Criminal Minds,' that includes exploring the possibility of a spin-off series. They ran an embedded pilot for it earlier this season, introducing the new cast, and they've already had tremendous success with both 'NCIS' and 'CSI' spin-offs. But whatever happened to the old-school way of creating spin-offs?
'Frasier' was a long-time cast member on 'Cheers' before he headed off to Seattle and sitcom super-stardom. 'The Jeffersons' spent time living next to the Bunkers ('All in the Family') before moving on up. Even as recently as 'Friends,' they spun series co-star 'Joey' off into his own series -- maybe that's when it all went so wrong.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Girls, Girls, Girls'
- 'Bones' 200th Episode Photos: The Gang Goes to the 1950s
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- 'Supernatural' Recap: The Truth About Rowena is Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Once, Glee, Grey's, Vampire Diaries, HTGAWM, Jane, Parks, Cougar Town and More
- Dancing With the Stars Recap: Did the Right Couple Win? Plus: Top 5 Moments and Season 19 Finale Pics!
- Faking It Finale: EP Explains Karma's Dream, Liam's Sacrifice and More
- Mindy Project Recap: How Ma Got Her Groove Back
- Degrassi Surprise: Spinner Returns — and He's Still Working at the Dot!
- More From TVLine
- Gay Soccer Star Robbie Rogers on His New Memoir, ABC Sitcom & Boyfriend Greg Berlanti
- Mila Kunis Steps Out Slim and Trim Only 2 Months After Having Baby
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman are Coming to TV -- For a Limited Time Only
- Jennifer Lawrence and Her Gal Pals Recreate 'Vanderpump Rules' Intro
- Ellen DeGeneres Plays Anastasia Steele in Goofy 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Parody
- More From ET